logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Yin and Yang of Star Wars (Palpatine and Yoda)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:14 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Edit: 09/01/08
I had a couple of ideas. I need some advice in balancing them:

Yoda, Legacy of the Jedi
Faction: Republic
Cost: 72
HPs: 140
Def: 21
Atk: +16
Dam: 20

SAs:
Melee, Triple Attack, Flurry
LS Duelist
Wall Climber
Rolling Cleave

Force Powers:Force 1, MotF 2, Force Renewal 2
Lightsaber Block
Greater Lightaber Reflect 2: (FP 2; If this character is hit by a nonmelee attack, it may make a save of 11 to prevent damage. On a successful save, all prevented damage is redirected upon a legal enemy within 6. That enemy may reduce prevented damage to 10; save 11)
Force Defense
Force Valor

Notes: I was trying to show that Yoda is following the Jedi mind set of using Force for defense and not attack. And how pitiful Lightaber Reflect is, it needs to be tweaked. I wanted to allow those Blaster Bolts to go back on a target at full power so it may nerf the concentrated damage that can be pulled off on a single hit now adays. And yes, Ataru style is more like Leia-RH's CE but should reflect Yoda's unpredictable attacks. The reason I am putting flight on there is that Force Leap isn't a great Force Power and thought it might convey No AoO, move through enemies, and even make it over a pit if within reach.

Emperor Palpatine, Lord of Deception
Faction: Imperials
Cost: 68
HPs: 130
Def: 20
Atk: 15
Damage: 20

SAs:
Melee, Triple Attack, Deceptive
Betrayal

Force Powers:
Force 1, FR 2
Transfer Essence 3: Same as Transfer essence but with a save of 16, he regains all HPs
LS Assault
LS Deflect
Force Lightning 4
Force Storm 4 (Force 4, replaces attacks. 50 damage to adjacent characters. All adjcent characters are activated, save 16.)

CE: Followers with a Force Rating may spend this character's FPs.

Notes: This is more about the Emperor Palpatine that was in Dark Empire. Granted, I haven't finished the graphic novel but he was transferring essence and it appears that he regained his hps after popping out of a tube vs. Luke. As you can see, I didn't put MotF but I figured that was a balancing act, if I put MotF 2 or more then he has a chance of regaining HPs more than normal.

If these are too strong, I admit I am not very good at finding game balance.

Last edited by Markedman247 on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:25 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Yin and Yang of Star Wars (Palpatine and Yoda)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:35 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Well... there are a couple issues here. Like or not, (and I don't) there already is an Ataru Style (+4 attack if only 1 enemy within 6 squares.) and, well, LS Reflect 4 isn't worth it. In fact, LS Reflect as it is is overcosted. You won't find any player willing to spend 4 points at a 50% chance of avoiding nonmelee damage, and only a 50% chance of transferring it to another enemy.

Lightsaber Reflect 2 (Force 2. When hit by a non melee attack, take no damage with a save of 11. On a successful save, redirect the damage to an enemy character within 6 squares. The enemy can avoid the damage with a save of 11.)

I think what you are trying to do can be done with existing abilities. Rolling Cleave and Wallclimber would work well on this Yoda and give him that sort of pseudo move you're looking for.

As for the Emperor, not bad, I like the idea of Transfer Essence 3, but Force Storm 4 would have the extra damage being 'Unleashed".

Force Storm 4 (Force 4, replaces attacks. 50 damage to all adjacent characters. All adjcent characters are activated, save 16.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:32 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Gemini1179 wrote:
Well... there are a couple issues here. Like or not, (and I don't) there already is an Ataru Style (+4 attack if only 1 enemy within 6 squares.) and, well, LS Reflect 4 isn't worth it. In fact, LS Reflect as it is is overcosted. You won't find any player willing to spend 4 points at a 50% chance of avoiding nonmelee damage, and only a 50% chance of transferring it to another enemy.

Lightsaber Reflect 2 (Force 2. When hit by a non melee attack, take no damage with a save of 11. On a successful save, redirect the damage to an enemy character within 6 squares. The enemy can avoid the damage with a save of 11.)

I think what you are trying to do can be done with existing abilities. Rolling Cleave and Wallclimber would work well on this Yoda and give him that sort of pseudo move you're looking for.

As for the Emperor, not bad, I like the idea of Transfer Essence 3, but Force Storm 4 would have the extra damage being 'Unleashed".

Force Storm 4 (Force 4, replaces attacks. 50 damage to all adjacent characters. All adjcent characters are activated, save 16.)

This board is annoying me. Consider this take 2 on my responses. My first decided to be eaten by the server or something.

Will go back and change Yoda a tad to reflect suggestions. I forgot that Pada-wan Kenobi had Ataru. Kind of blanked on that ability anyway. So, I could always put "Greater" in front of Ataru and be done with it. As you can see, I was trying to "bundle and save" with one singular ability that grants multiple abilities (like Programmed Target and Cloaked) but the suggestions are noted.

As for Emperor Palpatine, I would rather call him Darth Sidious, Lord of Deception but well, he was only Darth Sidious during the Clone War era so it might confusing without putting the qualifier "Counts as Emperor Palpatine" with Unique. Force Storm 4 was, admittedly, a rush job. Had the boss coming into the building and didn't want to be caught loafing. But, the way you worded it was the way I wanted it to work.

Changes will be made. I appreciate the critique.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:28 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

They both look great. Good work.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:27 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Gemini1179 wrote:
They both look great. Good work.

Thank you for your help in streamlining the design. Lightsaber Reflect 2 will teach any 10HP mook not to shoot at the mean, green, Jim Henson Machine. :)