logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: New idea for Special Ability or Commander Effect
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:29 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We were talking at our LGS this past weekend about how un-useful some abilities are because they only require a Save of 6. Of course, this was right after one of our guys failed a Demolition Charge save and lost a Golan turret that still had 90 HP, and then failed a Cart save and lost his Repeating Blaster Cannon, both in the same phase. We were all laughing at the craziness of failing both those saves in a row, but it led to thinking about the several new 'save 6' abilities that are out there.

We already have CS Yoda who allows you to re-roll failed saves. We also have the Special Ability Mettle which allows you to add +4 when you re-roll a save (which makes Yoda and Even Piell really annoying together, lol).

What if there was an ability to give you -4 to the result of a roll on saves?

I'm thinking a Commander Effect that says: "Characters within 6 squares who make a successful save must re-roll, and get -4 to the result. This can only affect a character one time per turn." Obviously, as a CE it might have some potential for abuse with Mas Amedda, but worded so it affects all characters, I don't think too many people would want to do that and risk having the reduced save rolls on themselves.

Or, you could make it a Force Power (probably be a dark side power). Something like Sith Mind Trick, lol. Make it cost 1 Force Point, and be worded something like "Force 1: range 6; 1 character re-rolls it's last save, and subtracts 4 from the final result". Then you could use it sort of like Alter, but you could also use it on your own pieces, either to kill off an MTB, or intentionally fail a save for Dominate or Homicidal Surgery (thinking MTB or Jacen/Leia situations here).

Oh....and as a Commander Effect or an SA, I thought this would be a perfect fit for Jar-Jar. Make it a CE that effects all characters, that way you'd want to try to keep him away from your own squad, but get him close to the enemy. Or you could still make it a Force Power, give Jar-Jar 2 Force Points (I KNOW, I KNOW...that would cause ALL sorts of 'fan-boy' problems, lol) but give him Force Ascetic and just this one Force Power. Then he would only be a Force user for purposes of this one ability, or for abilities like Jedi Hunter, lol.

What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: New idea for Special Ability or Commander Effect
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:53 am 
General
General

It's a cool idea. I don't think it should be a Force power on Jar Jar, but I like your other suggestions, especially about it affecting your own team members. Anything to make Sly and the B'omarr Monk more useful is a winner, in my book.

Maybe it could be like a reverse Mettle ability: "All characters within 6 squares gain Unlucky (This character subtracts 4 from the results of saving throws)."

Also, the nitpicker in me needs to clarify:

LoboStele wrote:
We already have CS Yoda who allows you to re-roll failed saves. We also have the Special Ability Mettle which allows you to add +4 when you re-roll a save (which makes Yoda and Even Piell really annoying together, lol).

Mettle only kicks in when you use a Force point to reroll--so it doesn't help with Yoda's CE reroll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:07 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Whoops, you're right on Mettle. Still, makes Even and Yoda nasty as you can re-roll the fail with Yoda, then re-roll again with Mettle.

I agree, the Force Power on Jar-Jar thing seemed odd to me as well. I guess there are more new things out there that are Special Abilities and not CEs or Force Powers as you might think, so this could probably be one as well.

I was just thinking that it should be a re-roll of a successful save. It only kicks in if you make the save to start with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:05 pm 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

hmm, very interesting. Sounds neat, maybe ill use it on one of my customs........

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison