logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Tenel Ka Djo (First attempt with green stuff and repaint)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:13 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Ok.

So, my GF's favorite character is Tenel Ka Djo. She kind of asked, jokingly, where is her mini for Tenel Ka Djo in dragon armor.

So, I took it as a challenge. I decided to try green stuff and white primer.

Here is the reference photo:

Well, this is what I concocted:

I am proud of the design (it also removed one of my mission vaos from my collection. Only 9 more to go).

I need to do better on the paint. But, tell me how you like it.

Post subject: Re: Tenel Ka Djo (First attempt with green stuff and repaint)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:21 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Wow, that looks great! Something I've noticed lately because I've been uploading photos of our customs - the picture always makes the paint looks much worse than it really is. I'll bet that thing looks super sweet up close.

I'm also trying my hand at green stuff for the first time right now. Working on making force lightning for Joruus. Hopefully have it done by the end of the weekend.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:40 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I made a few mistakes. I think the FORM is excellent. I should have shaved her knees (darn knee pads. on a 14 year old, ntl). That blot on her eye is bugging me. Tried to do some green eyes but my brush wasn't thin enough.

Kind of down on her at the start. My first repaint as Sev'rance Tann went badly as I tried to get more of the right colors on her 3 shades. That kind of put a damper on my attempt.

She turned out better but was kind of aiming for more on her dragon scale. I used some iridescent paint on the dragon scales. Worked out a bit. But first time with some new things. Considering I just started, I am doing a little bit better.

Of course, I need to explain the number of beheaded (miniature) ladies in my room. Might be a sign that I need help.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:32 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Really great job. Mission Vao never looked so good.

Green Stuff is a real bugger to use I've found. Not as simple as you would think. It varies in consistancy, stickyness and pliability over the one hour you have to work with it. Also if you use it in substantial masses building on a plastic/metal model I've noticed it will slightly shrink.

@Bill re the force lightning: that sounds tricky, if it is giving you too much trouble it might be worth it to get yourself a Hasbro figure with a Force Lightning accessory and just crop it down and glue it on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:30 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Thanks, R5. On Bloo Milk I was kind of moping that it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. It was for my GF. And if man can't provide a possibly toxin-riddled, child-labor produced mini version of his loved one's favorite character, then he isn't a man. :)

I got both gray stuff (for armor and is alot denser to use but dries quicker) and green stuff (the mid level) to play around with.

When I looked at her again, she turned out better than I originally thought. The paints and such aren't the Warmachine/Warhammer quality but considering what I am creating, I am actually enjoying myself.

Should have a Shedao Shai and Shimrra up soon once I paint them.