logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Death Watch Raider / Cunning Attack
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:28 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

A thread over on Bloomilk made me want to try my hand at making a squad with the Death Watch Raider.

I'm trying to come up with something that actually uses the DWR, as opposed to just taking out a Scout and putting in a Mousie and the DWR. Or any other example of simply switching out a piece in an already established squad.

So, I looked at what the wiley gent had to offer, and the main things I see are the mobile, cunning, and base 20 damage.

The 20 dmg makes me wonder between the Mando Captain or the Czerka Scientist. The potential for bigger dmg or potentially hindering unactivated targets (with Cunning then Jolting).

Then that made me wonder if I should go with Boba Fett, MC, and use the Accurate shot to either pick prime targets, or at least control the opponent's movements with my firing lanes.

I was also thinking about running the Gunslinger, as the Evade would come in handy if the DWR decides to rebel at an inopportune time.

I then realized that all that together makes up for a lot of Cunning Attack.

And I have no idea how to build around Cunning Attack.

Opportunist seems easy enough. Make sure you have enough activations or sufficient tempo control, and pop what you can at the end. Cunning . . . I'd imagine the opposite strategy doesn't hold true.

Here's what I have so far:

--Bipolar--
57 Boba Fett, Mercenary Commander
17 Mandalorian Gunslinger
30 Death Watch Raider x2
13 Czerka Scientist
3 Mouse Droid

(120pts. 6 activations)

Need another 30 points to hit the 150 mark. Thinking about either the Quartermaster and another mousie or two Marauders for some melee interference. On a personal note, I won't have to worry about running up against YoBuck or Lancer droids or Swap/Tow squads (or dedicated Super Stealth outside of a random Bacara squad), so I probably have some leeway on how goofy the squad can be.

Oh, and the lack of uggies is on purpose. I don't run into lockout door control on the gaming table at home. :D

Post subject: Re: Death Watch Raider / Cunning Attack
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:51 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I always like to balance my Cunning Attack with some Opportunist. I'd drop the Gunslinger for a Scout instead. Give your opponent something to worry about. The Czerka is always great as well, because the combo of extra damage from Cunning, plus the chance to stun your enemy is really cool. However, realize that once they fail the Jolt save, you get no more Cunning, and thus why it's good to work in some Opportunist threats as well.

You might consider going with both a Czerka and a Mando Captain, just to give the DWRs both Twin and Jolt, but probably only at the 200 point level. Might be too much tech for a 150 point squad. Tossing in the Quartermaster for your last 30 points isn't a bad option. He makes a great interference piece for when your opponent finally closes in, and will help the DWRs and Scout/Gunslinger actually hit things. Accurate won't help if you can't hit in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:02 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Aye, I'll probably switch out the Gunslinger for the Scout. I admit that I was trying to avoid using the Scout simply because everyone always uses him, but he does fit the hole in the deck very well, as someone with Opportunist will be very handy with the Jolt shots going around.

I'm adding in the Quartermaster, and with the switch to the scout, that brings me to 148 points. Being short 2 points makes me twitch a little.

/twitch

Time permitting, I should be able to get a game in with this squad after dinner tonight. I'll post it in the relevant squad section once I give it a spin.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:23 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Another reason the scout would do well is if you were to roll that nasty 1 to change sides, the scout will be able to take it out to get you 15 points from your own character...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:13 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

scouts are best for shooting behind your guys that are pressing an assualt. if the the Raider does roll that strife, a scout can take him out tooth sweet, and get you those 15 points. even if he doesnt roll strife, the raiders are good at hitting, and with the quarter master, they will soften something for you.

+1 Awesome trade on gamers.