logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Uncertain on what to use
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:40 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

the board hiccuped on me when I tried to post this the first time so this a condensed version of the original post.

I was checking the DCI tourny list and there is a 100 point tourny next Saturday at a store pretty close to where I live. I'd like to go if possible, but I'm blanking on squad choice. While I normally have no problem building a 100 point squad I have no idea what this store is like so I thought I'd check here. What would you bring if you were going to play at a venue you knew nothing about?

Post subject: Re: Uncertain on what to use
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:41 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

do any of us know the store in question?

what are your strength, "go-to" squads?
Broken Boba
Baby B&B or mini San Hill
Bane
Loda
...?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:22 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

If you don't know much about the store then you should play something competive, but don't play something that a lot of players would consider cheesy like B&B or Boba BH, they aren't that cheesey now but a lot of players probablly consider them broken still.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:12 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

The Madman wrote:
do any of us know the store in question?

what are your strength, "go-to" squads?
Broken Boba
Baby B&B or mini San Hill
Bane
Loda
...?

Nope, nobody here would know the place. Its a newer local place. When I asked for details about the tourny I found it its free to play (prizes will be promos) in an effort to get some interest in the game around here.

I don't have a go to squad. The place i usually go only does DCI legal builds every other week and within that they cycle between 100/150/200 point builds so even if i don't miss any weeks I only play a particular point total every sixth week. That usually means most of my builds are one time things based around whatever pieces from the last set I still haven't had a chance to try.

The squad I played in my last 100 pointer was Jango JH, Aurra JH, and an Ug. That does pretty well against all the new force users from FU but stalls out against squads with out uniques and/or force users. Going back to the stuff I want to try idea I've been wanting to run Loda and Leia together in 100 points. My normal last 10 for that would be three Ugs, but with no prior knowedge of this store I might go with the Twi'Lek BG in case Boba BH is in use there. Other than that my best idea was to scroll through Boris's thread with the list of 100 point squads he was thinking about using and see if there was something non cheesy that looked like it would at least be fun to play regardless of the level of compitition at this store.

Xanthan wrote:
If you don't know much about the store then you should play something competive, but don't play something that a lot of players would consider cheesy like B&B or Boba BH, they aren't that cheesey now but a lot of players probablly consider them broken still.

I'm planning to stay away from stuff like Broken Boba or Thrawn plus Boba Merc. Since this is a free tourny the only thing at risk is my DCI rating and I'm willing to take a hit on that by losing with a lesser squad rather than go uber competitive and drive people away at a venue that's just starting out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:20 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Play with your most experienced 100 point squad. The one you feel most comfortable with. That is what I'd do.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:04 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Since I make a new squad for every tourny at my LGS the only squad I'm really used to playing is the one I made for fun games after COTF came out. That one is COTF Maul, a Destroyer Droid, a BDO, and 2 Battle Droids. I don't think that will do it for a tourny.

On a side note I've found out it will be run at 6PM and not earlier in the day like I was hoping for. This means due to some medical issues of mine I might not be at my best when I play. With that in mind I'm thinking I might bring a couple different squads and decide which to play when I get there. A no brainer squad like Boba/JWM/R2/Ug in case it's competitive and I'm a bit out of it, a Loda/Leia one if its competitive, but I'm good enough to play Loda properly, and something like the Jango/Aurra one if its a bunch of new people.