logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: What's wrong with huge games?
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:07 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

we have done quite a few mass battles , with points ranging from 300 to 1000. We have also done several formats like, 300 points dark side light side, 1000 point faction pure. but the most fun we did was just the best possible squad we could make at 1000. The problem was that it was just after CHampions of the FOrce and he was playing seperatists and i was playing republic. He played alor of droids, the old Greiveous for double, and all the commanders we could fit in. I played super stealth commandos and he had no force sense.. so it was a little unbalanced. Now however i would say that he would probubly beat me with newwer stuff out.

Back on to my point though. I think that the main thing that should be kept out in a mass battle is activation controll(aka san hill, dodanna, ozzel) MAr tuuk and his type of commander efffect arent to bad, but it is still usualyly iff with us depending on how many points you play. I dont think there is anything wrong dwith huge games realy. I just think its the abillity to POWERGAME more in such large battles. Usually if one is playing Seps the Other Plays republic with us to even out. Actually mandos do well in such large battles too. My wife and i did a 500 point battle. i played seps and she played mandos. ANd it was pretty even. It makes a few more of the lesser factions more playable. Mandos, New republic, Old Republic,and Sith are alot more fun at Larger battles. Because all of them have LArge Point pieces that cant be fit into many squads together at 150 or 200. For example fitting both Mandalores and Boba MC into an army isnt possible in most games but in a 500 it is. Or getting MAndos an extra attack from sith with Mandalore the Ultimate, Ulic and Krayt isnt possible at lower point costs. A new republic squad with GMLS, MAra jade jedi, COrran HOrn, Lie sky walker, ZUckus and alot of others to kick but is fun at higher costs.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:42 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I think large-point games are one of the most exciting ways to play. I do think that it's wise to set some kind of perameters (ie, no tempo control, or a certain limit for activations, etc). Personally, I like the Epic SWM format (500pts, 16 activations max, 3 commanders max), developed by Boris the best. I've done a 1000pt LS/DS game, and it was a total blast. The thing is, you really do need to be aware of certain broken combos that exist when you blend factions (ie, GMLS, Rieekan, Leia JK, Mas Amedda, The Exile...).

When my friends and I play, we often play 2vs2 teams with 200pt squads. That's fun too.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:51 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

We are doing 300pts on Memorial Day at the lgs. Really looking forward to it. I'll report about it, I guess, after its done.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:52 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
I've played some mass battle games and they are fun but they can also be abusive with some CE's and SA's, but it is a time issue more than anything for me. When we did our MEM event with a four on four with 200 point armies each that took a long time to play, and for games with huge points on each side it has taken far longer than an hour or so. Often hte games we play at home last 45 minutes to an 60 minutes and that is all. Often that is all we have time for.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:52 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Any time you do 'multi-player' with 3 or more players, I find that things take way longer. It's a lot tougher to make good moves and protect yourself from attack from two or more sides all at once. Plus, it's a lot tougher to anticipate your opponent's moves when you have 3 opponents instead of just 1.

We play Epic somewhat often here in Cincinnati, and we usually don't have TOO much trouble getting done in an hour. One of the things we do to help speed up the game is that gambit is worth 25 points per round, not just 5. That makes a big difference.

Plus, the other thing that we always remind everybody, that whenever we're playing those 'mass battle' type formats, that it's really supposed to be more about the fun, and a lot less about the strategy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:30 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I love High point games but my bros and I tend to adjust rules slightly for this. My brother and I team darkside against my other brother who rolls with the light and stormies (don't have a lot of clones so we let him have stormies since our infantry is made up of sbd and sith troopers. 1000 pts, Era doesn't matter to us just the action. We make it 2 initiatives a round with 10 activations a turn, Its actually pretty quick paced (around 2 hours) and turns into a blood bath for both sides. Awesome fun! we have started to play on heroscape maps though, limits vehicles a bit. Still great games all extremely close.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:09 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LoboStele wrote:
Plus, the other thing that we always remind everybody, that whenever we're playing those 'mass battle' type formats, that it's really supposed to be more about the fun, and a lot less about the strategy.

+1
Mass Battles are really very different than Skirmishes. IMHO, Mass Battles are really more about making the big attacks and taking the big risks...while in Skirmishes you are generally wiser to take the safer (and yet still effective) option whenever possible. The former is about making a big BOOM!, while the latter is about execution of precise strategy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:16 am 
General
General

mrmikedrum wrote:
... I go for bigger games ... When you do it like that, you have a LOT more options for squads. For example, with the Sith, you can run like 6 or 7 Sith Lords in a squad ...

Sometimes our league players just want to break out the big pointers for a battle, so that's what we do -- 8 figures 400 points, 12 figures 600 points, 10 figures of 500 points for leaders + 20 figures of 200 points with none over 15 points for grunts, etc could be options for you.

LoboStele wrote:
We play Epic ...

This is a good one that we've enjoyed also.

Mass battles of 1000 points, 50+ figures, or some other option can be fun. But factors that can limit people doing them are:
-- the time commitment of pulling the figs, set-up, and playing is significant
-- multi-player really makes the game long; even if players make quick moves
-- not all players have that large of a collection
-- space to play
-- tracking damage on multiples of the same fig can be tedious

So we tend to go with formats like those noted above.