logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 300 pts Dark Side
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:52 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

My L (1 hour away :P)GS is having a 300 pts light side vs dark side, with an 8 fig max tourney sometime this month. Kinda like Dynamic Duo, except reinforcements/reserve are allowed.
I'm thinking about using:

Exar Kun 84
Lord Vader 71
Jabba the Hutt 50
Grand Admiral Thrawn 37
Mas Amedda 8
Imperial Governor Tarkin 22
Rodian Black Sun Vigo 24
Gran Raider

Reinforcements:
Uggy
Lobot
Reinforcement
Dark Hellion on Swoop Bike
Ewok x2
Gran Raider

I think I can do that with Jabba and Lobot, if I can't please let me know. The plan is to get the swoop into position and transfer Kun in (For free even!) He Quads, and maybe get hits for some damages. Thrawn transfers him out on the next round and vader drops in if the enemy isn't dead yet. Hopefully this would be done at the end of the round. Scrubs move in so that Kun can rinse and repeat on the next threat. RBSV keeps lobot safe to override, can triple and hoping on the chance of reserves. I'm not totally sold on the double beatstick approach though. I have another variant in mind, also hinging on the ability to bring in lobot and his reinforcements.
To keep in mind as well, we'll be using 200 point maps as well as the new hoth map, so I'll be planning on using the starship hardboard.

Exar Kun 84
Mandalore the Indomitable 68
Grand Admiral Thrawn 37
Mas Amedda 8
Jabba the Hutt 50
Imperial Governor Tarkin 22
Probe Droid 8
Emperor's Shadow Guard/Mando Supercommando/Zuckuss/Rampaging Wampa (23 pts left)

Same Reinforcements

This squad give me the benefit of Recon for the mirror matches, and a ranged threat. Could even use the probe droid as a swap in for Kun under the right circumstances. And I have to fill those last 23 points.
ESG gives me a solid 22 def/+11 non unique stealthy melee
Mando gives me a 30 dmg sniper 20d/+13
Zuckuss give me a scooting accurate
Wampa can do 100 dmg to a Force endowed mini in the right situation. That alone makes him tempting for me to bring, but with a low def, he'll go down in a hurry.

Thoughts? Critiques? Helpful Suggestions?

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

Post subject: Re: 300 pts Dark Side
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:07 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I don't think its worth it using Jabba the Hutt, he costs way too many points, even with the reinforcements. For the second squad, it looks like you are making a B&B build. I think your main beatstick for a squad like that in the Dark Side format should be Darth Bane, he is a beast and has tons of HP and high dmg output and very high chance of hitting on almost every attack. Then you have Thrawn and Mas. Putting you at 3 activations. Next you should put in 4 more characters that have a fairly high cost and can hold their own against some melee pieces. But remember to save some room for Lobot so that you can bring in some activations. I would suggest 5 Gran Raiders for Lobot's reinforcements(or 5 Tusken Raiders if you don't have Gran raiders). Hope this helps and good luck at your LGS.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:51 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The idea of using Exar Kun with Imp Governor Tarkin is just beastly, IMO. You are probably better off trying to work it out as a B&B style, rather than a Kun Transfer. If you're Quad-attacking with a +19, you'd much rather spend that FP on Sith Rage, rather than Transfer Essence.

Using Jabba probably isn't terrible, but since you aren't running any Bounty Hunters, then you're wasting 20 points. I'd just put in Lobot and either drop the RBSV (he's really not going to protect Lobot that well) or upgrade that Gran to something more beefy. The Emperor's Shadow Guards might be perfect as they would have a high defense and Stealth, which would make for decent swap fodder.

I like the overall concept for the first one much better than the second one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:03 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Yeah I really like the Quad-ing Kun. Just for breaking the activation count and bring in a free lobot, Jabba is worth it to me. using Ozzel was another idea, but I'm not sure if I have the aptitude to play a 1 activation squad.

Revised:
Dropped Lord Vader from 1st Sq for a ranged threat; Boba Fett, BH
Now having trouble filling the last 37 pts.

Exar Kun
Imperial Governor Tarkin
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Mas Amedda
Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
Jabba The Hutt
37 pts left.

Jabba brings Lobot and an Ugg, Lobot's reinforcements will be tailored to enemy.

Sing seems to be the obivous choice, but I'm worried about the opponents squad, I have no way to bring in recon if facing a mirror match... Jabba is only buffing Fett.. no decent swappers.
Another idea is a Shadow guard and a 14 pt filler.
Also, Dark Jedi Master and Probe Droid.
Further, Zuckuss and a 15 pt filler (Nexu maybe..)
Each option gives me a key third threat. Maybe Jabba is too great of a liability. Dropping him for lobot would cut into my hopeful activation count, but free up another 23 points.. giving me 60 to play with...

New Idea:
Exar Kun
Imperial Governor Tarkin
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Mas Amedda
Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
Lobot
Nym
Admiral Ozzel

Reinforcements:
5 Uggs
Mynock
unless faced with a true 8 char squad, then, mynock/swoop bike/Lando/BBSV/etc..

Nym and Kun both get an additional attack.. And Boba just can't be discounted for his awesomeness factor (Plus the psychological effect). Mynock will generally be the first swapper.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, if you're planning to use Tarkin, then definitely use whatever points you have on those with Commander Effects. Mandalore might be a good choice as well. He's a way better attacker than Nym, and will Survive longer, but you lose Recon and Disruptive.

Using Ozzel shouldn't be too hard, but you'll want to make sure you have at least 4 or 5 filler pieces that you can tap each round (Ozzel, Tarkin, Mas to start with, so you should be fine). I might consider going with more than just the 1 mynock in your reinforcements, as otherwise, you have to use your other big pieces for swapping around. The real trick with Ozzel is knowing whether you should kill him off or not. If you think you'll need the extra activations per phase, then you can use Kun to execute him. :D In fact, if you pull it off right, you could use Ozzel to run up, then Transfer in Kun, followed by Thrawn swapping in your other heavy hitter. Then the next round, if you win init, the heavy hitter can attack again, then let Thrawn swap them out for a fodder piece. :P You're looking at over 200 damage as long as you roll decent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:36 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Yes, Mandalore is a great options, but right now he just doesn't fit into my squad. Nym being slighty cheaper and with the added bonus of Disruptive and Recon makes him a very attractive option. But I can see that only 100 hps and a defense of 17, he might not last that long. If I can get one or two solid rounds out of him, that would be spectacular.

I imagine that I will run into a lot of other MT, so Recon is imperative. And thank you for the pointers, I didn't think of using Ozzel as a TE dummy, that is a good way to kill him off. I am a little nervous.. never played a San Hill-esque squad before, and I really want to beat R4Don5 this time... :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:23 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Too bad you couldn't make it out Eric. We had a small turnout of only four players. You definitely would not have been facing a mirror squad.

I was working on two different squads for this tourney.

My Darkside was:

San (Anti MTB)
Mas
Bane
LV (Grants advantageous to Boba and Bane)
Thrawn
BF Merc
Lobot (brings in swappers)

My Lightside squad I ended up playing:

Garm (Mon Cal Techs and Rauntaun)
BF Merc
Han Rogue
Gen Windu
Mas
K-3PO
Jango BH
Juno

Jason also played on this theme:

BF Merc
Jango BH
Garm (brings in gambit getting Golan & Mon Cal Tech)
Han RH
Princess Leia Senator (to allow Boba & Jango to Mobile)
Lobot
Kota (further boost Jango & Boba)
Last 11 points???

Yik had a similar frame of mind:
Gen Windu
K-3PO
Mas
BF BH
Han Rogue
Princess Leia of Cloud City
Mara Jade
Luke's Landspeeder

Leonard was the only one who called upon the darkside:

Darth Revan
Exar Kun
Boba BH
Lobot (brought in a whole bunch of Ugos)
Ugo Boss
Swoop
I'm not sure what he brought in with his remaining points.

We played three rounds. Leonard couldn't get a win all day. I beat Jason and Yik beat me. Jason beat Yik. the result, three way tie.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:40 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Ahhh, I am really bummed that I couldn't make it.. but my grandfather passed away over the weekend, so it really was a good thing that I stayed home.

Interesting choice going with the LS squad, I guess that with every squad having han rogue, MT and recon would be bunked.. free stuff with Garm and Lobot is a good idea though. Looking forward to next month.

BTW, it would be awesome if you had the time to join and play in the GVL.. ps join team revan.. we could use the help :P