logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:17 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

If i cant get to you in four rounds something is wrong. Fighting generally begins in earnest in round three, but round two can see some fighting too. I am sure not going to let a Jedi with FR sit back and call the shots.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:09 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

If revan is forcing your squad to come to him, he's already got a leg up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:33 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

1 fig does not counter the JWM, it helps, but its not the counter.

Bane kills JWM faster than Revan.

What counters JWMs is multiple factions having an answer for them, now the Sith can be added as another faction that can deal with JWMs, but if you want to see them not played then more factions need to have an answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:27 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I agree with Ulic/Nihl here. Revan isn't exactly a counter to JWM. It's definitely not like Han Rogue and Thrawn. However, he provides a balance to them. Revan will not win against an equal number of JWMs 100% of the time, but he will win often enough that it will cause people to start questioning whether they should run something else.

The cool thing is, I think this actually helps NR become more playable as well. Since they have access to Han Rogue and Recon, and have a 120 dmg Cunning Attacker, Revan will struggle against them. All it takes is to lose that crucial init when Mara has closed in. NR wins init, Han takes a Cunning Attack at Revan (probably with some CF, lol) and then Mara cleans up to finish him off. If Han hits, and Mara makes all 4 of her attacks, that's 140 dmg even. It's actually kind of cool how a piece for the Sith actually boosts the NR a little too. :P

Oh, and emr, I think it's hilarious what side of the discussion you are on here. So far with everything else in this set you've been very vocal about apparent power creep. Now, the first time that many of the rest of us are really excited about a new piece that can shift the current meta, you're basically telling all of us that he sucks, lol. Just a funny observation. Almost seems like you just want to be on the opposite side of the discussion from the majority, no matter what side that is. I'm not saying that's a bad thing though, and definitely not trying to start anything. Just thought it was kind of funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:47 pm 

I also had a laugh over emr proving Vader JH could take down JWMs

Really? A fig with a 20 attack that can do 90 dmg can take down a fig with a 23 def and 90 hp?

Shocking

Boy, I hope it can't win init every time and swap in and out to, that'd be rough.

Congrats on the discovery emr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:13 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Lord_Nihl wrote:
I also had a laugh over emr proving Vader JH could take down JWMs

Really? A fig with a 20 attack that can do 90 dmg can take down a fig with a 23 def and 90 hp?

Shocking

Boy, I hope it can't win init every time and swap in and out to, that'd be rough.

I think he was referring to the fact that he ran Vader JH B&B at GenCon and still did pretty well with it, and beat some JWM swarm squads along the way. Thus proving that Vader JH is still a viable squad at 150 against JWMs.

I fail to see how Vader JH invalidates Revan in any way though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:30 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

B&B with JH V Revan and aurra is an interesting match up.

B&B has the activations and much stronger fodder that have board wide effetiveness.

Revans crew will need to be slightly more concentrated in their positioning.

You really need to get a lot out of your secondary shooter cos Vader V Revan goes to Vader if thrawn is on the board.

MT cancels and Vader is the stronger beat after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:58 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Sithdragon13 wrote:
If i cant get to you in four rounds something is wrong. Fighting generally begins in earnest in round three, but round two can see some fighting too. I am sure not going to let a Jedi with FR sit back and call the shots.

Last time I fought a squad with a FR piece I let him keep it back out of the way to gain fp for a couple rounds. While it was sitting there building up fp I was wiping out the rest of the squad with my full squad. I still had most of mine when I finally went after the FR piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:09 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

See, that is an example of what happens when you keep a main piece out of the fight. You get 8 FPs - I wipe the floor with the rest of your squad.

-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:19 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Well, I think it works better if the whole squad waits till the batteries are charged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:14 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

LOL, exactly....That is why i am not going to give you the time to do it if i can help it.

-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:32 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Lord_Nihl wrote:
What counters JWMs is multiple factions having an answer for them, now the Sith can be added as another faction that can deal with JWMs,

Ok to time to be honest. I have been purposely a little overzealous for Revan for the sake of the argument - as its a great discussion. But Drew nailed my real feelings on Revan.

Another fig that can handle its cost in JWMs is awesome. And with his incredible synergy, he can easily take on a poorly designed JWM swarm. Having another faction that can take on the JWM really does add a lot to the game - both in bringing forward another faction, but also that after taking a few beatings - people will start to prepare their squads better to help deal with Revan.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:27 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

billiv15 wrote:
Having another faction that can take on the JWM really does add a lot to the game - both in bringing forward another faction, but also that after taking a few beatings - people will start to prepare their squads better to help deal with Revan.

I don't think there will be much change to the meta with Revan.

Carefull play will help you overcome him but he really doesn't offer anything to different to Thrawn, Exar, Mara etc etc.

He has a certain amount of control on the game but he will always be trying to balance power v activations so current builds already have an edge.

Time may prove me wrong but thats how i feel ATM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:20 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

fingersandteeth wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Having another faction that can take on the JWM really does add a lot to the game - both in bringing forward another faction, but also that after taking a few beatings - people will start to prepare their squads better to help deal with Revan.

I don't think there will be much change to the meta with Revan.

Carefull play will help you overcome him but he really doesn't offer anything to different to Thrawn, Exar, Mara etc etc.

He has a certain amount of control on the game but he will always be trying to balance power v activations so current builds already have an edge.

Time may prove me wrong but thats how i feel ATM.

Not a huge edge, you still have init control and I've been in a few games where revan has been playtested and the revan squad nearly beat B&B and Revan beat a mara squad so I think Revan will probably be part of the meta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:37 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I do not believe that Revan is just limited to just countering JWMs. I think that's just the tip of the iceburg. When the rest of the set is revealed, then he can be properly rated. But limiting him only to countering a figure about 1/3 of his cost doesn't mean he is competative to me. If that's all he's good for, then he really isn't any better than Vader, JH, and Thrawn.

But we'll just have to wait and see...

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:04 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

I need to take a look at safe shooter spots on maps again. The ROTS hardboard has the Boba BH standing spot (one green square away that you can only get to with flight).

I think the Coursant map has a small area (4-5 squares) that you can only get to with flight (is used to be a high ledge).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:12 pm 
General
General

Lord_Nihl wrote:

We went over this already. Care to stir the pot some more?

I sure as heck did not invent B&B, I continually give credit to Billiv for that and defended his creation when it was brought up on the main forum, however I was the *only* one who played JH B&B this year at GenCon, and what I meant to say which came out very concisely, was that with a full year of revising, JH B&B crushed any JWMs on the map. End o story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:57 pm 

emr131 wrote:
Lord_Nihl wrote:

We went over this already. Care to stir the pot some more?

I sure as heck did not invent B&B, I continually give credit to Billiv for that and defended his creation when it was brought up on the main forum, however I was the *only* one who played JH B&B this year at GenCon, and what I meant to say which came out very concisely, was that with a full year of revising, JH B&B crushed any JWMs on the map. End o story.

Yeah, we actually knew what you meant. But we had to give you some for that :)

And the most important piece of discovery from your experience, was the degree to which you were able to win on your map. KMG are really the problem any Thrawn based imp squad has right now at 150. Take care of those and imps are right there with the other top squads.

@SirSteve - We arent comparing Revan to one JWM. Its to 3 - or basically your typical JWM swarms. But you are absolutely right - he should be much better than just a direct counter. I think - and of course this is way early - that Revan is competitive with the competitive meta at this time. It remains to be seen what we will decide on are the definitive builds, but I suspect something like Revan/Aurra will emerge shortly after the release that can play with anything. At least that's my thoughts.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:35 am 

@emr,
I beat Lord Vader B&B on the hardboard this year at GenCon, which was my consolation match since they went an extra round.

2 of my opponents dropped that round leaving me with a weaker SoS, knocking me out of the Top 8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:58 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I only read like 3 posts to where Flea mentioned that even Guri was made playable by revans CE, it never crossed my mind and I nearly wet my pants :lol: I didn't care much for Revan till Bill started this thread and I haven't even finished reading it but already I am seeing some of the amazing things he brings to the table. Awesome!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next