logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Revan - The JWM counter.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:30 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Might be a bit premature to start this discussion, but here goes. I tried posting this on WotC and it got locked so I am moving it over here.

I have been wanting a nice counter to JWM swarms. I think we have it in Revan. Just pair him up with a nice shooter or two and you have some great JWM stoppers. Also, using him with Brood's Force Push will be very good against them.

MT and Force Storm will work wonders and get around all the problems JWMs often bring. JWMs move into Assault range? Corruption 'em. They will need those fps to actually hit him, so corruption will not be a waste on them.

I can say I am very happy with this figure at this point. I will enjoy running him for sure.

Let the Revan meta discussion begin.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:42 pm 
General
General

I'm kind of hoping Revan can stop people from playing JWM swarms enough just by being out there, so that I don't have to actually play him in my squads. Like Palpatine SL did to all-Clone squads.

JWMs are one of the main things I have trouble with in my Rebel and New Republic builds.

Post subject: Re: Revan - The JWM counter.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:48 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

billiv15 wrote:
Might be a bit premature to start this discussion, but here goes. I tried posting this on WotC and it got locked so I am moving it over here.

I have been wanting a nice counter to JWM swarms. I think we have it in Revan. Just pair him up with a nice shooter or two and you have some great JWM stoppers. Also, using him with Brood's Force Push will be very good against them.

MT and Force Storm will work wonders and get around all the problems JWMs often bring. JWMs move into Assault range? Corruption 'em. They will need those fps to actually hit him, so corruption will not be a waste on them.

I can say I am very happy with this figure at this point. I will enjoy running him for sure.

Let the Revan meta discussion begin.

The thing is that he is not just a JWM counter. He is a Jedi in general counter. Great squads that revolve around Jedi need to win initiatives to be effective. Now they don't have that option. Revan and his team mates will strike hard -- and first. Revan will do 60 damage to you at the start of a new round at base. That may not sound like much, but I am doing this at the start of every round that he is alive. His 25 defense in cover/against Jedi will allow him to stay in the battle a long time and when this is coupled with Block and DA, well lets just say this guy is more a of a tank then people think. Many options on FP's too.

That is just his own personal stats. Now you go on to what he gives. That +4 attack is the insane. It even effects droids. You combine that +4 attack on a cheap shooter such as a Quarren Assassin (+15 for 20 at the cost of 12 points) or combine it with the likes of a DJM even (+14 for 20 a swing) and you get even pathetic characters dishing damage. Now look at his other CE. That movement is huge. Combined with Brood you can move her into Push/Lightsaber Assault range. Use it with HK for a mobile-esque ability. LOM BH to get off a Paralysis shot and then move back into cover. Heck even Guri can be effective! (+17 double for 20 a pop) It is such a versitile manuever that even an ugnaught could use in the right situation effectively.

I must say that the possibilities of this character are endless. Not a character to be overlooked.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:48 pm 

I'm not sure if it will be enough of a counter to do that shinja, but we can hope :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

As far as a JWM counter, I agree. But still, he needs really good shooter support to make him playable. CS Aurra is awesome with Revan. I wonder if Zuckuss's intuition stacks with Revan? He is quite good, but still, he NEEDS really good shooter support, and I'm not sure that sith assult droids or even fringe can help him out enough.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:06 pm 

SirStevee wrote:
As far as a JWM counter, I agree. But still, he needs really good shooter support to make him playable. CS Aurra is awesome with Revan. I wonder if Zuckuss's intuition stacks with Revan? He is quite good, but still, he NEEDS really good shooter support, and I'm not sure that sith assult droids or even fringe can help him out enough.

This should stack with intuition. I cannot see why not :)

Agreed, the best support will likely be a shooter - especially in 150 if KMG remain legal. But I can still see running this beast with melee. Especially nice beat like DJM and in 200, Bane, Exar or Uliq.

But as a JWM swarm counter, man this guy is god.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:09 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

billiv15 wrote:
SirStevee wrote:

This should stack with intuition. I cannot see why not :)

Agreed, the best support will likely be a shooter - especially in 150 if KMG remain legal. But I can still see running this beast with melee. Especially nice beat like DJM and in 200, Bane, Exar or Uliq.

But as a JWM swarm counter, man this guy is god.

Yeah. He really shuts them down completely.

He also shuts down most of the Republic Jedi as a whole actually.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:13 pm 

thejumpingflea wrote:

Of that I am not so sure. Sure, jedi only squads. But most of the competitive non-JWM jedi today have higher attack values and other roles. For example, Quinlan with momentum has a +16. General Kenobi has a +15 i think. Qui-Gon - +14.

Other than that, most were unplayable regardless of Revan.

And I certainly dont believe this guy will eliminate JWMs completely, but he sure is a nice counter to them. Boba will still give him fits especially at 150. Gonna have to work in a BG or two. Probably has to be an MSG to prevent Boba from just sniping it as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:26 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

billiv15 wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:

Of that I am not so sure. Sure, jedi only squads. But most of the competitive non-JWM jedi today have higher attack values and other roles. For example, Quinlan with momentum has a +16. General Kenobi has a +15 i think. Qui-Gon - +14.

Other than that, most were unplayable regardless of Revan.

And I certainly dont believe this guy will eliminate JWMs completely, but he sure is a nice counter to them. Boba will still give him fits especially at 150. Gonna have to work in a BG or two. Probably has to be an MSG to prevent Boba from just sniping it as well.

That +14 attack has a 50% chance of hitting. That is quite low. Throw in Lightsaber Block and it is down to 25% of working. Quin's Momentum even has it's odds against them to hit.

Throwing in a MSG with Revan won't work the greatest IMHO. That leaves you very little to work with. I am thinking that Revan will actually work well with Lobot. The customization against Boba and such. That leaves you 35 points. What could fill that up? For lobot though, you get options of BG's, a Quarren Assassin (+15 for 20) and many other things.

Last edited by thejumpingflea on Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:36 pm 
General
General

Yep, I have thought Maris is a great addition to Revan, I have thought that since it was revealed today. It is interesting that you can do an auto 40 damage to multiple characters with these two, I know I have said it before, but man hordes are just in a lot of pain lately. You will have to place the horde far apart from eachother to not get tossed next to Revan then stormed for insult.

I also think Revan is going to make me replace my overwhelming swap idea in 200. Revan + Bane is just pain (ooo rhymes). Everything else is just fodder for activations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:38 pm 

emr131 wrote:
I also think Revan is going to make me replace my overwhelming swap idea in 200. Revan + Bane is just pain (ooo rhymes). Everything else is just fodder for activations.

And not just activations. Those ugos will get his +4 attack bonus as well :) Haha, my ugos are better than yours!!!

I used to love that with Capt. Antilles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:40 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Your biggest problem is going to be getting there. With neither having defense against shooters they can get lit up by jedi hunters.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:41 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

well you have to look at the cost issues though.

At 88 points your going to be able to take 1 shooter max and if its aurra you will lack override. (88 +37 = 25 left at 150)

Thats an Issue.

Force storm is nice but if your outactivated then your probably gonna have to chose between storming and moving or doing a triple and taking 4-6 attacks.

Revan will die fairly fast. He's not much different to Dooko as far as jedi go. Most of the he will probably be taking his AoOs and running rather than tripling and then he has to weight heavily on his support.

Boba Mercenary may give him some futher options but i don't see him making too much headway atm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:49 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

fingersandteeth wrote:
well you have to look at the cost issues though.

At 88 points your going to be able to take 1 shooter max and if its aurra you will lack override. (88 +37 = 25 left at 150)

Thats an Issue.

Force storm is nice but if your outactivated then your probably gonna have to chose between storming and moving or doing a triple and taking 4-6 attacks.

Revan will die fairly fast. He's not much different to Dooko as far as jedi go. Most of the he will probably be taking his AoOs and running rather than tripling and then he has to weight heavily on his support.

Boba Mercenary may give him some futher options but i don't see him making too much headway atm.

That is the thing though. He is like Dooku. A Dooku with Dark Armor, initiative control and with Killer CE's and FP's.

Most heavy shooters will have issues taking him down. Someone like Boba BH can do 30 to him a round. Considiring Revan still has 110 HP left and you just activated a 62 point character to do that I think that is a good trade off on Revans part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:51 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

the fact remains that this piece will now be a meta, for beginners and experts alike. he is powerful and easy to build on, and also finesse to a point where you wont be running him up for engagement early. now this is just an amazing mini for all players with these flexible stats. and the fact of him being a counter to current metas willo be grand. JWM=hurt, mara jade jedi=hurt, and nearly every other meta, even thrawn's switch. now you gatta have luck to win init. this is just the piece swmgamers in general have needed and wanted since cotf, maybe even universe with that thrawn. i even have to work my current fav squad around it. and then his CE, just another thing to ride home about, so great-but not overly cheap/broken.
good things i see in the future, balance darth revan has brought to the force.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:02 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Don't think Mara is hurt much.

It just means that her and Jaina will take Han Rogue if Revan actually amounts to be a serious challenge.

You lose lobot but

Mara
Han Rogue
Jaina
Talon
wicket
3x ewok
3x ugnaught

Is still tough. Mara and Jaina can carve Revan to bits in 2 turns (180 HP of dmg). Talon can even nerf his CE allowing Han shots on the sniper lookin at 50/50 admitedly so perhaps 90 dmg.

In anycase, what kind of squad is Revan gonna run?

Revan
Aurra
7 uggies
gran
?

Revan
HK
Lobot
uggie

Revan
4-l0m BH
lobot

Perhaps there will be something fring he can use but these squads look nice, they don't look uber. I dont think San/Boba/Aurra JH/lobot are really shaking in their boots at these either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:25 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

thejumpingflea wrote:

A lot of them, yeah he's a big problem for. General Windu will actually have an easy time with Revan though. Shatterpoint is the best melee jedi counter to his defesive abilties. An instant crit. has a very good chance of tipping the balaence in windu's favor, and he can asorb Revan's force storm or lightsaber block, leaving him defenseless against windu. And that's just his first attack. Then you have the others with a good chance for a vappad critical hit.

Mabe General Windu+shakk ti, JM will become meta. Who knows :?:

Will Revan be playable in 150? I doubt it. Wel'll have to see what fringe offers him when the entire set is known.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:35 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

SirStevee wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:

A lot of them, yeah he's a big problem for. General Windu will actually have an easy time with Revan though. Shatterpoint is the best melee jedi counter to his defesive abilties. An instant crit. has a very good chance of tipping the balaence in windu's favor, and he can asorb Revan's force storm or lightsaber block, leaving him defenseless against windu. And that's just his first attack. Then you have the others with a good chance for a vappad critical hit.

Mabe General Windu+shakk ti, JM will become meta. Who knows :?:

Will Revan be playable in 150? I doubt it. Wel'll have to see what fringe offers him when the entire set is known.

Shatterpoint can be blocked. Also that take a full round action. You'd have to be within 6 of Revan to get that off. Not a good idea when Revan can Corrupt you from that far away. Revan will win the initiatives and he will block half of Windu's Shatterpoint criticals. Oh! Did I mention that Windu will statstically miss at least one of his three attacks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:43 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Save the doombot and Windu for last. Then move them in, and then use a force point against Revan for windu's shatterpoint. After initative, windu may become corrupted. But that's a 50/50 shot right there. After Revan uses that, then more windu up for you shatterpoint attack, and asorb his lightsaber block, using a force point. That's an automatic 40 damage, and he can't respond to it. With the extra criticals ( hopefully ), you should pull out ahead, although it will come down to shooter support to really decide the winner. And besides, he may be able to block, but he will be spent of force quickly with all the corrupt and blocks. Windu also ties him down so you shooters can keep attacking without worrying about him moving.

I think it is a decent way to counter him with the republic. Is is the best way in general? No. It is just a thought I had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:00 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I don't think Revan is as big a counter to Weapons Masters as some believe. Yes, he can hold his own. But 3 JWMs should be able to put 60 on him every turn, on par to his own damage output.