logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Where is GOWK at regionals?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:16 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
jonnyb815 wrote:
I dont believe it was 5 of 7 since we only played 6 rounds hehehe.

whoops, you're right. 4 of 6.

Anyway - my only point was I disagreed with the term "autoloss".

To me autoloss is Sith lord Palp vs an all clone squad. Nearly impossible to win, not just advantage to one side.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Where is GOWK at regionals?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:23 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:10 pm
Posts: 6172
Location: Gurnee, IL
TimmerB123 wrote:
jonnyb815 wrote:
I dont believe it was 5 of 7 since we only played 6 rounds hehehe.

whoops, you're right. 4 of 6.

Anyway - my only point was I disagreed with the term "autoloss".

To me autoloss is Sith lord Palp vs an all clone squad. Nearly impossible to win, not just advantage to one side.


Well I actually wrote, "autoloss of sorts" there you know :) The other reason GOWK isn't necessarily an autoloss is that even though the odds of shooters killing him in an hour is low, it still can happen.

_________________
Image

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Where is GOWK at regionals?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:32 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:10 pm
Posts: 6172
Location: Gurnee, IL
billiv15 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
jonnyb815 wrote:
I dont believe it was 5 of 7 since we only played 6 rounds hehehe.

whoops, you're right. 4 of 6.

Anyway - my only point was I disagreed with the term "autoloss".

To me autoloss is Sith lord Palp vs an all clone squad. Nearly impossible to win, not just advantage to one side.


Well I actually wrote, "autoloss of sorts" there you know :) The other reason GOWK isn't necessarily an autoloss is that even though the odds of shooters killing him in an hour is low, it still can happen.


How many of those 4 games were you the better player starting out? How many were on your map? Did Matt prep for that matchup at all ahead of time (I can tell you the answer is no so he had no idea how to play it). Did you play against myself or Aaron? Nope.

I would argue that in all 4 games you were the better player (at least on that day) and were more prepared for the match up. That gave you, not the squad, a decided advantage that isn't based on the squad strength.

Now we all know it was a good squad, that's not the real question. So can you name another all shooter squad that has decent odds against a good well run GOWK squad? We are pretty much back to all gimmick squads that can pound out insane damage like TBSVs, etc for anything that would get close enough to 50%. That was my point :)

_________________
Image

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Where is GOWK at regionals?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:51 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:22 pm
Posts: 4982
Summary

2 of the fastest threats in the meta are melee of which GOWK has no defense against.

Republic has no tempo control and so rebel squads can play avoidance.

GOWK doesn't bring enough output to effectively finish games.

Squads playing mainly non-melee either have super speed or Melee/force dmg threats that can deal with GOWK should he turn up.

As a result of all this GOWK has little impact on the meta and thus is a spoiler build so people ignore him (i.e. he isn't a meta piece anymore).

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Where is GOWK at regionals?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:51 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
fingersandteeth wrote:
Summary

2 of the fastest threats in the meta are melee of which GOWK has no defense against.

Republic has no tempo control and so rebel squads can play avoidance.

GOWK doesn't bring enough output to effectively finish games.

Squads playing mainly non-melee either have super speed or Melee/force dmg threats that can deal with GOWK should he turn up.

As a result of all this GOWK has little impact on the meta and thus is a spoiler build so people ignore him (i.e. he isn't a meta piece anymore).


Certainly not meta, probably not even tier 1


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights style by Scott Stubblefield