logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: DCI Maps Conversation
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:58 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Well, it was locked on WotC before I could chime into the last round of insanity but one item really caught my eye...

Quote:
Dude, i don't have to understand the "make-up of the competitive game" to know that (I don't play competitively).

Then why the !@#$ do you even care about the DCI map list enough to berate people over its contents?

"Hi, I don't even play the game you're discussing but I just want to ruin your conversation about it and prevent the people who are voicing their legitimate concerns about it (on both sides) from being able to do so. Thanks for your time."

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:01 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I was kinda bummed that the thread went south so quickly over the weekend. I don't check the forums much on Saturday/Sunday, so I missed all the fun, lol.

It's funny that some of those same people have the nerve to get on Bill's or Dennis' or Drew's case about being too harsh sometimes. Honestly, there's a few people over there who were proved wrong at some point in the past and now they've glued a chip onto their shoulder toward some of the truly great, upstanding people on the forums. Quite frustrating. At least Droopy was trying (for the most part) to keep the discussion civil. It's just so darn easy for people to mis-read or mis-understand someone else's posts on forums. Oh well.

That said...I think Droopy pretty well showed that the 'Pro-map' folks are in the minority. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:33 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Yeah, you gotta love what darth solo is doing to the map discussions over there right now. Wasn't he also one of the ones that got four or five of us official warning for correcting his lack of punctuation and stuff? I think it was. I don't mind differing opinions, but when they fly in the face of the best players in the game and 95% of the community it just boggles my mind.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:16 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

The biggest reason Dean is time. And I know your response to that concern already as well :) I wouldnt mind a 200 point champ myself though. But if 150 is what we have, I am fine with that as well. We just need some tweaking and thats what its all about.

And I agree, the people posting, why not ban figs, are just baiting. They are trying to make a comparison out of different issues and concerns as if they are one and the same.

Its just like people who complain about someone being pro-life and pro death penalty, or the reverse. Sure they might seem contradictory on a superficial level, but true debate is all about nuance. The surface level comparisons only work in politics, not in real effective policy. Same applies here.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:24 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sounds like I'm glad I stopped reading the Wizards forums...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:31 pm 

dnemiller wrote:
but I also know that you had a game go time and won it what 15-10..... well using that I would say it really wont matter what the point level is people are gonna try to win no matter what.... So why not give it a try and see what happens?

Actually it was 15-5. I didnt allow my opponent to make it that close :) And yeah you know I for the most part agree. I would certainly prefer 200 for the map selection as they are much more balanced when considering a championship style event. So for that alone I would vote 200!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:47 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
I dont like the time argument for the simple reason hardly any games went time in the 200 format at Gencon....

I missed the 200, but 150 Thursday and Friday had a lot of games finishing too. And from what I saw, the players who were slow Thursday and Friday were almost certainly going to be slow at 200 as well.

It would be interesting to see some breakdown of unfinished games. Despite your personal experience, I can't imagine that that was true across the board. It just doesn't make sense on a theoretical basis. (Stranger things have happened, but I'm chalking up your experience to your personal playstyle, and luck of the draw in opponents.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:57 pm 

NickName wrote:
It just doesn't make sense on a theoretical basis. (Stranger things have happened, but I'm chalking up your experience to your personal playstyle, and luck of the draw in opponents.)

Personally I finish just as many games at 200 as 150. The difference is when you throw money or "Champion" into the mix that people slow down. I keep arguing the time limit, but to be honest I am just as convinced by Dean's PoV as what I am representing. I had one game not go to time in the Champ this year and that was the final game, which ended as time was called when we both reached gambit. My game against Dr. Divot might have finished as well I cant remember, as I made an all out rush at one point. So perhaps 2. But th rest were never close to finishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:58 am 
General
General

In 200, I was destroyed well before time was called every round!

As far as the post on the WotC forum. I thought both sides were sniping when they had the chance. One side was just burying them in the middle of paragraphs while the other was making one liner comebacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

To get back to the point of the first post, this is something that actually excites me for the future of the message boards and Gleemax. (I know, it's hard to believe. :P )

Anyway, once the Volunteer Community Leader program is running at full throttle, it will end the era of lazy, slothful Wizos who would rather just lock threads than remove off-topic content.

The VCLS can edit to their heart's delight to keep the thread open. As it stands, I guess I am one of them, unless something changes between now and the official launch of the program.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:07 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Boris wrote:
The VCLS can edit to their heart's delight to keep the thread open. As it stands, I guess I am one of them, unless something changes between now and the official launch of the program.

Sounds like something that will be abused no end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:33 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I have similar concerns. I prefer the moderators stick to a fixed set of rules and work (as much as possible) invisibly behind the scenes.

The idea of a second set of moderators who are now moving and changing posts for nebulous "editorial" reasons is not appealing.

I'm on board for having people who actually try to lead discussions and rally the community but those things take a lot of hard work and I fear the lowest common denominator will prevail and they'll just end up shaping conversations to their personal whims.

(Full disclosure: I opted out of being involved for now, at least until the role and responsibilities are hammered out in complete detail.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:52 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I don't think it's going to be anymore abusive than what it is already. Surely less so, as its already developing in the core concept for VCLs that they must be ready to explain editorial decisions.

Personally, I'd rather edit or see another VCL edit 1 off-topic post than to continue the arbitrary and often apathetic attitude of the Wizos where one person ruins a whole thread by being a jerk.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:37 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Uhh yea I guess the idea that people will be drowned out over there with silent censorship is potentially dangerous. I imagine it'd be very aggravating to have post disappear due to one person's editorial reasons. Then we will have tons of they erased my post threads. It will quickly cycle out of control unless it is handled with utmost care.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:11 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Eh....all it will take is for people who had valid posts removed by a biased VCL to contact a WiZo and ask them to step in and address the situation. If there really was someone deleting posts because they disagreed with them, then I'm sure that person wouldn't last much longer as a VCL. We'll see I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:20 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Sort of hard for it to be silent, since the post will say that it was edited by whoever did. The only silent thing would be deletion. Still, if they choose right, it shouldn't be more of an issue than it is here.

Still, if Boris is one, I can hear the screams of bias by one member in particular...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:51 am 
General
General

I am having less and less of an inclination to get involved at all on those forums. If the standard ones are also affected by this changeover, then I think I am done with those boards. The targeted demographic is just not me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:37 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I have to tell ya I love seeing NNs first post, a little passion there huh!

All in all, yeah a lot of threads go south on the Wotc boards, but most of that is due to the fact that most of the posters over on those boards don't play competitively, confuse local and national meta, and are kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:32 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Lord_Nihl wrote:
I have to tell ya I love seeing NNs first post, a little passion there huh!

All in all, yeah a lot of threads go south on the Wotc boards, but most of that is due to the fact that most of the posters over on those boards don't play competitively, confuse local and national meta, and are kids.

not all kids ruin threads on wotc, adults can also make some of the threads go south.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:48 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Lord_Nihl wrote:

The high level competitive players can be just as bad as anybody else over there. Some of them seem to be set on the idea that thier level of play is the only one that matters so if a piece isn't good enough for them its not good for anybody. Sometimes some of them can get pretty rude towards somebody who thinks a piece they've declared subpar might actually be fun to use.