logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: SWM Regionals 2010
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:29 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

The Star Wars Miniatures Community is proud to announce the continuation of Regional Events this year!

This year, just as last, we are having Regional Events all over the nation, plus the inclusion of Canada, to lead up to Gencon 2010! Many of the locations from last year are having events this year, with the inclusion of new venues, as well. We hope you can join us for one of these tournaments. We had more than 300 different players from all over the country participate last year, and I really hope we can break those numbers this year!

Each of these events will be run using the DCI Floor Rules, the point value will be 200, and the Restricted Map List will be used. Each tournament will be run using Swiss Rounds, with the amount being dependent on the amount of players, and then a cut to a Final Four for playoffs.

Prize support for each tournament will vary, but, with enough participants, there should be many prizes available. The grand prize is still a paid-pass to Gencon this year, and the fee to play in the World Championships. However, due to the players organizing each event this year, there is a minimum player requirement for the badge to be offered, but we are very confident that each location will greatly exceed this quota.

So, here is a current list of Regional Locations:

Colorado Springs, CO - Dalez Kardz and Komics

Atlanta, GA - Super Games

Chicago, IL - Chicagoland Games

Kokomo, IN - Gamers DMZ

Owensboro, KY - Coolector's Mall

Springfield, MO - Metagames Inc.

Omaha, NE - Coliseum Gaming

West Berlin, NJ - All Things Fun

Cincinnati, OH - Sci-Fi City

Lemoyne, PA - That Game Place

Bellevue, WA - Uncle's Games and Puzzles

Racine, WI - The Vault of Comics and Toys

And, for our first Canadian Regional!
Toronto, ON - Dueling Grounds

And I am pleased to announce the newest location(s)

Lansing, MI - Capital City Collectibles

North Richland Hills, TX - Heroplex

Please note that this list is far from being set in stone. We are hoping to hear from more areas who wish to host a Regional event. If anyone believes they have a large enough gaming group, plus an established DCI sanctioned venue to play, please contact dvader831 (Ray Becker) and we can discuss your location hosting an event, as well.

Each Regional event will be giving out its information very soon. Once again, I invite everyone to attend a tournament near them. Last year, there was such a strong sense of gaming at each location, and so many people had a great time. So get your squads ready, and let's have another great year of minis!

Post subject: Re: SWM Regionals 2010
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:57 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Updated to add Michigan to the list!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:04 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Updated once again to add a Regional in Texas!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:31 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Is there an unwritten rule that all Regional tournaments have to be on a Saturday? How about a Sunday?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:36 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

TimmerB123 wrote:
Is there an unwritten rule that all Regional tournaments have to be on a Saturday? How about a Sunday?

No Sundays :)

Obviously the bulk of people are more available on Saturday's, and more likely have the longer frame of time needed to get one of these done.

Starting on a Sunday, say a 1PM start. 5 rounds of Swiss = 7PM. Another 2 = 9-10PM. Not really feasible for most people on a Sunday, especially those with kids. You will just have to request a day off there champ :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:56 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Obviously the bulk of people are more available on Saturday's, and more likely have the longer frame of time needed to get one of these done.

Starting on a Sunday, say a 1PM start. 5 rounds of Swiss = 7PM. Another 2 = 9-10PM. Not really feasible for most people on a Sunday, especially those with kids. You will just have to request a day off there champ :)

I am sure I am not the only one in this community where Saturdays are harder to make. Most (all that I have seen so far) tournaments are starting well before 1pm, so that's not exactly a fair example. I was hoping to make more than one this year, but since so many are starting at like 10am (9am central) and over 3 hours away, that would mean leaving at like 5am to get there in time, or take off Fri and Saturday, which is essentially like taking off a week of work, unpaid. Already doing that for GenCon. I am going to do what I can, I just wish it were easier.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:34 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

TimmerB123 wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

I am sure I am not the only one in this community where Saturdays are harder to make. Most (all that I have seen so far) tournaments are starting well before 1pm, so that's not exactly a fair example. I was hoping to make more than one this year, but since so many are starting at like 10am (9am central) and over 3 hours away, that would mean leaving at like 5am to get there in time, or take off Fri and Saturday, which is essentially like taking off a week of work, unpaid. Already doing that for GenCon. I am going to do what I can, I just wish it were easier.

I think 1pm was used on Sundays to accomodate people's church schedules, one of the primary reasons I can't make any Sunday games at Chicagoland. I totally feel you on the early start times though. I'll actually have an easier time getting to owensboro (6hrs away) that I will Cincy's(4 hours) simply because of the later start time and staying in the same time zone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:04 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Um...technically, Cincy and Owensboro are starting at the same time. 11am EST and 10am CST respectively.

But I understand what you're saying Tim. Sundays would be absolutely out of the question for me, and for several of the other players in our local group due to church obligations. Granted, starting at 1 or 2 might help, but then you have to find a venue that plans to stay open till 10 or 11 on a Sunday, which isn't that often.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of people work M-F, and have off Sat/Sun. Having the Regional on a Saturday means people can travel Friday evening, and then even wait till Sunday morning to go back if they want to. Holding the event on a Sunday would mean people travelling home late on Sunday evening in order to be back at work Monday morning.

I know it's not convenient for everyone, but it's a situation where you just have to please as many people as you can, because you'll never be able to make everybody happy.

For the record, no there was no rule about them needing to be on a Saturday. Each location was given the choice to host it whenever they wanted to. Some places could have done it on a Tuesday morning if they wanted to, and it worked best for them, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:13 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

LoboStele wrote:
Um...technically, Cincy and Owensboro are starting at the same time. 11am EST and 10am CST respectively.

Lol, this true. It's amazing how one's brain goes when he spends his days with a 2 year old....not been a good couple ofthinking days for me...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:18 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Haha, no sweat, Brad. I dont have a 2 year to deal with, and I still have days like that sometimes, so don't be too hard on yourself. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:03 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

LoboStele wrote:

Actually our tournament starts at 11:00 CST and registration starts at 10:00 CST so we are starting an hour later.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Oh ok, cool. Double check your threads then. I think one of them says otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:30 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Dark_Jedi_21 wrote:
LoboStele wrote:

Actually our tournament starts at 11:00 CST and registration starts at 10:00 CST so we are starting an hour later.

HA! I am back to making a little more sense again. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:21 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

LoboStele wrote:
Oh ok, cool. Double check your threads then. I think one of them says otherwise.

I will,thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:13 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Just hoping that no one freaks out wondering where all of the Regional Threads are. I made an entire new section devoted to them. They are all there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dvader831 wrote:
Just hoping that no one freaks out wondering where all of the Regional Threads are. I made an entire new section devoted to them. They are all there.

Took me a second to find - but might be nice to put a link here. :)

Also, Ray - it would be great if you updated the first post with dates as they come in!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:05 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

TimmerB123 wrote:
dvader831 wrote:

Took me a second to find - but might be nice to put a link here. :)

Also, Ray - it would be great if you updated the first post with dates as they come in!

*psst* There was already a link there in Ray's post (I added it last night, so I know it's there). There's also a link for each of the individual threads in the first post, so it really shouldn't be too horrible to find it ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:12 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Chris, I wonder if he thinks the dates are a good idea for those in the areas where multiple Regionals are possible. I'll see what it looks like, but no promises.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:15 pm 

I was actually thinking of adding the dates but decided I'd rather have the people go to the actual threads for more information. Another thought was rearrange the list when we have all dates so it's in order of dates.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:17 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Yeah, I just tried putting dates in, and the OCD part of me just doesn't like it. But how about a compromise. Once every Regional is set, we will make a separate thread with the dates all in order, and that will probably turn into the Regional Results Thread. Kill two birds...Rodians...with one stone!