logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Tourney Report: Dark Times Sealed (Proxy), Cincy OH, 1/21/10
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:02 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

With all of the stats for Dark Times released, we did one of our customary 'Proxy Sealed' events, which we like to hold the week before the set actually releases. I make up mock boosters using the stats and the 'Open Booster' function over at Bloomilk, and then everybody grabs two pieces of paper (boosters), and then takes pieces out of their collections to represent each fig. Then we play a normal Sealed Tournament. It's always a blast!

I managed to 'pull' Zuckuss and Bomo for my two Rs, but I wasn't comfortable running Bomo since the only way he'd get to use Immediate Reprisal was if Zuckuss died. So, I went with this for my squad:

Zuckuss
Mando JH x2
Jedi Watchman
ARF Trooper
Imperial Inquisitor
Rodian Raider

4 Stealth/Cloak pieces was awesome, but it made Zuckuss or the Inquisitor the main target many times, lol.

My first game was against James who had pulled the nasty 4-LOM/Bossk combo, and also had a Jedi Watchman, a EG-05 JH Droid, and 2 other pieces I can't remember at the moment. We played on his Train Station map, and everything was going great until I moved up my two Mandos to take out his Jedi Watchman, and promptly rolled two 3's and a 1, leaving the Watchman with 10 HP, instead of killing him. That turned the game in his favor. It was still REALLY close, but he finally got me at the end. He had only the JH Droid and Bossk left when it was all over. Lobo 0-1

Second round was against Matt, who had A'sharad Hett, Chewie, an Inquisitor, a Gungan, and a bunch of the cheaper pieces. I utilized Zuckuss as much as possible to chip away at cheap things, and take away his activations. Once again, I ran up a Mando JH in the 3rd round, and promptly missed both attacks on the Inquisitor (this was a running theme for the night, to my frustration). I got quite lucky throughout this game though, as Matt had his fair share of lousy rolls as well, failing to take the last 20 HP off one of my Mandos for at least 2 rounds. A'Sharad bit the dust early thanks to my other Mando and 20 dmg from a TTTDS ( :lol: ). Chewie was his last piece, and the game really was still somewhat close at the end. I ended up with only Zuckuss, the Inquisitor, and the Rodian Raider at the end, but they all had nearly full HP by that point, and Chewie had trouble consistently hitting Zuckuss. Lobo 1-1

Final round was against Madman, who had K'kruhk, 2 Mando JHs, a Trianii (darn Evade!), the Talz Chieftain, a Gungan, and a few other small pieces. The Talz Chieftain was brutal in this match. The Trianii and Gungan put a beatdown on my Jedi Watchman pretty early, though I managed to save him with only 10 hp left, lol. I had to do some fancy shuffling with my pieces, trying to keep Zuckuss up front sometimes to keep the Fringe non-Uniques from using the Talz' CE, and then swapping positions once the Mandos closed in. The highlight of this game was when K'kruhk finally entered the fray, and with 10 HP left, I tried a TTTDS on him. He made the save, and my Watchman had to finish him off. I made a couple of lucky Parry saves in this game, but ultimately ended up coming out on top. Was very close though, and came down to a couple of init rolls. In the end, it ended up being Zuckuss with only 30 HP left, a Mando JH, and my Inquisitor vs. one of Madman's Mandos. Thanks to Anticipation, he couldn't really catch me, and I was able to finish him off over a couple of rounds worth of running. :P Lobo 2-1

So, we had an absolute blast with this set. It's very well balanced for Sealed, IMO. Very nice mix of Bounty Hunters, Uniques, Force Users, Jedi Hunters, Scrubs....got everything. You could even build a GOOD sealed squad without any of your rares! The nice thing is though, Veers is the only Rare that I would almost always lay aside for sealed, as all the others are quite playable (even MeruMeru, simply for his HP/Damage possibilities). But even with that, Veers' CE could be fun.

Lackey pulled off the 3-0 with the combo of Dass and Jax for his rares, with a close game against James in the last round.

Definitely looking forward to the official release this week!

Post subject: Re: Tourney Report: Dark Times Sealed (Proxy), Cincy OH, 1/21/10
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:28 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

without having the cards 100% those of us with the Talz chieftan TOTALLY abused the CE
(Within 6, not 'global')
if we had played it like it should have, my matches would have been total blow outs :o

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:28 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, we were totally playing Zuckuss wrong too, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:46 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I still want a chieftan in my pulls for this weeks match!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:49 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Cheiftan was a surprising beast in sealed. Two of my opponent's made great use of both his attack abilities, and his CE. Having a T'sug (or whatever) attack you at +6 for a possible 40 was a scary scenario. Tim did a Rodian Raider with triple at 9/20, and was able to keep it up most of the game. Ouch.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:23 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

LoboStele wrote:
Yeah, we were totally playing Zuckuss wrong too, lol.

How were you using Zuckuss wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:00 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We were just assuming that the character hit by Snare Rifle had to activate last in the round. Not that they couldn't move at all. Makes a BIG difference. Honestly, I might've beat James if we'd been playing it right.