logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Report: Cincinnati, OH - All Melee! Jan 14, 2010
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:08 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Last night we did 200 points All Melee! This one is always a ton of fun. The only difference from normal DCI rules is just that every character on your squad must have the Melee Attack SA on their card. We do make a slight change to have Djem So and Djem So Mastery be a save of 16 instead of 11, just because otherwise, it gets kind of crazy. But, thinking about changing that for next time, as I'll explain below.

I decided to pull a couple of old pieces out the box, and have some fun with them. :) So my squad for the night was:

Maris Brood
General Skywalker
Jedi Weapon Master
Qui-Gon Jedi Trainer
Obi-wan Padawan
Commander Ahsoka
Mas Amedda

I thought about running Komari Vosa instead of Obi and the JWM, but decided I wanted at least some pieces with some defensive abilities. Not that it helped all that much, lol. Maris is just sick in this squad, with a +17 for attack with Qui-Gon and Skywalker's CEs, and then add the Rolling Cleave on top of that, and she can dish out 180 damage in a round from 6 squares out. Obi-Padawan is nasty as well, being a +18 with Momentum, Assault, and Cleave for 120 damage.

The first game was a good warm up, and a chance to get used to the squad. I was playing against Denson (Vulcan Jedi), who made a couple critical errors early, but I'm proud to say he learned his lessons and soundly defeated Madman in the 2nd round. Denson was running Tyranus LOTDS, Asajj Strike Leader, San, a Veractyl Wranglers, 4 Rakghouls, a Weequay Merc (who later finished off Madman's Exar with a crit, lol) and some Ugos. He made the mistake of putting the Veractyl to far up front, too soon in the game, and I promptly killed it the first chance I got, forcing all of his Rakghouls to base me without getting attacks that round. Then, the next round, he got to go first, and Assaj tried to hit my JWM some, but missed 2 out her 4 attacks. I then killed two of the Rakghouls and the Weequay with a Momentum/Assault/Cleave from Obi-wan, freeing up Maris to go Momentum/Assault Assaj and kill her. The other two Rakghouls, based against my JWM went down next, and then I started working on Tyranus. He managed to put some good damage down before I finished him off, but he didn't last past next the round against my high attacks/damage. Lobo 1-0

Second round was the one I was dreading: Yuuzhan Vong run by Lackey. Though it ended up being a close game overall. We played on Mapmaker's new Dagobah map, which was definitely fun, and pretty much the entire fight happened in the middle of Yoda's Hut, lol. Lackey was running Warmaster Lah, 3 Jedi Hunters, Shaper, Praetorite Priest, Yomin, Advance Officer, and a basic Warrior. I killed the Warrior easily on the 2nd round, when he put him up close enough to try a Spit Poison on my Skywalker. But I started making some mistakes from here. Lackey ran one Jedi Hunter around the side of the hut, and then won init the next round, and finished off Anakin. He had to take two AoOs to do it, but I could've protected Anakin with some different placement and I just missed it. Worked out OK at the time though, as Maris, even without Momentum, still killed Yomin and the Priest with an Assault/Cleave. Wasn't quite enough though. Obi and Ahsoka tied up the JH that killed Ani, while the JWM and Qui-Gon tried to hold a 2nd JH and Lah at bay. Two different times there would have been a nice change in the game if Lackey had failed his armor saves, but he only failed maybe 1 or 2 the entire game, and he was rolling hot on attacks as well. Obi ended up being the last one standing, and finished off one of the last JH before the end, leaving Lackey with only Lah, the Shaper, and the Advance Officer. While Lah still had like 150 HP, the game could've swung my way with a few key rolls (I even rolled a couple 1's for attacks which hurt). One missed attack here or there would've really changed the game, but it didn't happen in my favor. Lobo 1-1

Final game was against Matt running a mishmash of Rebel forces including Luke RC, Ithorian Commander, Jarael, Felucian Rancor, Wookiee Commando, Tusken Raider, Veractyl Wrangler, Nexu, Mystril Shadow Guard, Human Force Adept, a Weequay Leader, and a couple Ugos. Jarael and the Rancor tied up my JWM and Qui-Gon in the 2nd round, stunning the JWM which was frustrating. Luckily, Skywalker, Maris and Ahsoka worked wonders on everything else in the meantime. I managed to kill the Ugos, Tusken, HFA, Luke, Nexu, and MSG all in one round. I won the next init and Maris was able to finish off the Weequay and Veractyl and escape with only 50 HP left. The Felcor put an absolute beating on my JWM, which didn't end up getting to do much this game, lol, and killed Qui-gon as well. Luckily though, by that point, both Jarael and the Felcor were out of FPs, so the combined assault of Skywalker and Ahsoka finished off Jarael, and then the Felcor took a full round more to kill, but a lucky won init allowed me to Assault with Maris, and then Force Push 2 the next round to keep her easily alive, and I won the game with a couple more hits. Was definitely a close one, and a couple of init swings differently might've made the difference. That Felcor with Mighty Swing from the Weequay really hurt, lol. Lobo 2-1

So, I finished 3rd for the night, with Lackey coming in 1st, and James, who also ran a Vong squad, coming in 2nd. So, I'm thinking for the sake of the Vong squads, we may just allow Djem So to be normal saves of 11 next time we do this. We were trying to keep GMLS from being too much of a pain, but I think the Vong are just as frustrating, lol. James' squad was 7 Jedi Hunters, with the Priest and Yomin, lol. A TON of HP and Armor to chew through, though not as much damage output.

This is always one of our favorite formats. We are thinking about some tweaks next time though. Perhaps play something where you build the squad however you want, Melee and non-Melee pieces, but then assume that every character gains the Melee Attack SA. That way you could play pieces like Han Solos or such, and just tack Melee onto their card. Could also do it so that they don't gain Melee Attack, but are just restricted to only attacking Adjacent targets. That would allow some pieces that only have LS Deflect, but not Block, to be more useful, and might get some more interesting squads. We'll see.

Post subject: Re: Report: Cincinnati, OH - All Melee! Jan 14, 2010
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:43 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I love this format.

I think you shouldn't mess with Djem so much. Some things always rise to the top and Djem so is just one of those abilities.

Sith do very well here with all their Zaps. Seps can be good with Grievous a lancer and a load of melee droids, Vong hate you might say.

Post subject: Re: Report: Cincinnati, OH - All Melee! Jan 14, 2010
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:55 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

fingersandteeth wrote:
I love this format.

I think you shouldn't mess with Djem so much. Some things always rise to the top and Djem so is just one of those abilities.

Sith do very well here with all their Zaps. Seps can be good with Grievous a lancer and a load of melee droids, Vong hate you might say.

it's funny you say that-
we were thinking the exact thing after all the matches... most of the players brought Vong, anticipating the "other " guys to bring Push/Choke squads....