logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Zombies! A Tournament Report
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:32 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK, so last night at the LGS we tried out our Zombies! scenario that Lackey and I developed. You can see the full rules for it here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7838

So, with that in mind, and new Galaxy at War pieces chomping at the bit to be played, I set off to build a squad using the new Whorm. Was really tough though without being able to use Mouse Droids due to the 'no non-living pieces' restriction with the Zombie rules. Anyways, I came up with something that worked just fine, and had to play smart to keep Whorm close

Whorm
Dooku of Serreno
Boba Merc Commander
Lando DS
GenoHaradan
Lobot CLO
Wicket
Ugo x3

I decided for map choice to go with MapMaker's Exodus-Class Ship map. What better place to be trapped with Zombies than on a ship in space?! :D All three games ended up on that map, and I started from the same side each time, the bridge.

First game of the night was against Steve, and I knew right away I had planned my squad well. He had the new Flobi, Cad Bane, Capt Rex (CW one), two ARC Snipers, Mas, and filler. This match up was tricky, and his power shooters made me cautious. But I managed to pick off an ARC Sniper early on, and gave myself some cushion. Most of the action ended up happening around one of the secret compartments and the adjoining rooms. Eventually, Steve did a Surprise Move to base Dooku and Double on him, forgetting about my Makashi Mastery. So, I promptly laid down a good 80 damage on Obi with the Double/Twin, thanks to MSM. Nice. Of course, Dooku got shredded by Rex/Cad in return, but I also got to pick off Rex with Boba, so it all worked out. Obi did turn into a Zombie when he died, as did an Ugo behind him the next round, and made it quite tough for me to kill the last ARC Sniper. The game was substantially tougher once I lost Dooku, but Obi just couldn't last against Boba's Double/Twin/Cunning. As time neared the end, I killed everything on Steve's squad except for Cad, and since I had Lobot, it was easy game at that point. Lobo 1-0

The next round was up against Denson. He had a mish-mash build with the new General Skywalker and Comm Ahsoka, with Grand Master Yoda, Jarael, two TBSVs, Mas, and some Ugos. Some poor positioning allowed me to pummel his Vigos early with Boba. We maneuvered along the top of the ship mostly, and ended up mostly a hallway battle down the long side of the ship, with our shooters pummelling each other back and forth. Boba helped wipe out Anakin, but took a beating for it, getting down to 10 HP before a few blocking characters saved him. Lando was a monster here, single-handedly killing Jarael in two activations on either side of an initiative roll. By the time I'd killed the two Vigos, Ani, and Ahsoka, I still had all my main pieces alive, having only lost Wicket and an Ugo or two. We called the game at that point. Lobo 2-0

Final game of the night was against Matt. He was running a cool Republic build with General Skywalker, Yoda Clone Strike, Dash RS, and then a bunch of Felucians and a couple Younglings. Those buggers are a +11 for 30 with Momentum. Ouch! This turned out to be an awesome game as well though. By the end of the game, we had at least 6 zombies on the map, on either side of the battle. I unloaded on Dash at the beginning of the 2nd round, hitting all 4 attacks with Boba's Cunning, and he made every Evade save, not even needing Yoda's CE. Boba promptly took 60 in return, lol. But that's OK, because at the end of round 2, with some door opening help from Wicket, an Ugo, and Lobot through the upper secret compartment, Lando pulled off two hits on Yoda for 60 damage. A won init, some intution from Boba, and a Double/Twin later = dead Yoda. Anakin survived quite a while, and despite my efforts to trap him with Dooku, he still managed to get by and eventually take out Whorm. Luckily, by then, I was already whittling things down. I lost Boba to a Momentum hit from a Youngling, lol. But here's where my Zombies took over, killing 3 fodder pieces in quick succession. Anakin quickly died after that thanks to Dooku and Lando. That gave me a solid lead in the game at that point. Lobo 3-0

Overall, this build was really awesome. Everybody had a blast, even the guys who usually play the top-notch competitive crazy builds. One of those guys even said "We have to do this again!" :D So, I highly recommend trying it out with your local group.

Post subject: Re: Zombies! A Tournament Report
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:22 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Sounds like a lot of fun Aaron. Its interesting to see how the Seps and Republics have really become top notch competitive factions since switching to 40 piece sets. Even if there are only a few 'tier 1' pieces in each faction, its great how the different combinations can really produce a diverse and exciting meta.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY