logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Pits + Push... although there is no posted errata yet...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:50 am 
General
General

So, Nickname said it was possible but to wait for the errata to see the interaction. Will there be a save? Will it be automatic? Who knows!?

However, here is my preliminary Push abuse (granted, it is very low output but imagine it...)

Luke Pilot
Yoda of D
Golan
Rodian Vigo or just activations

Map = Mustafar.

The Golan *can NOT* be pushed around, but anything the opponent sends to the middle can be. Will pushing + pits become meta? I think it will be, but I dunno what the squads will be yet (I predict some sort of B&B with Brood instead of Vader).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:20 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

It depends on whether or not there will be a save and it also depends on what the save is. If there is a save and its 6(which I hope it is), then force push will be good but it wouldn't incredibly good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:50 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I doubt such a squad would really be all that powerful. As I read it, Force Push 4 must follow legal targetting rules.

Thus, this isn't that powerful to use 4 force to kill some pansy who is in the front while the big figs are in the back.

If my opponent also brings a Golan, odds are that my legal target for most of the game is that unmovable, high hp huge.

Side Note:
I doubt that there will be a save for the pit push, but I have this feeling that "Moving into a pit" requires 2 moves just like difficult terrain. Just my gut feeling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Repulse is the problem, or will be if pit pushing is automatic.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:03 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Boris wrote:
Repulse is the problem, or will be if pit pushing is automatic.

Nope, Repulse shouldn't be a problem at all because the wording for the ability is different from Push. From the way I've read things, even if the rulling says that 'pieces pushed into pits are automatically defeated' I think it will only apply to Force Push and NOT to Force Repulse.

The wording for Repulse says each "character is pushed to a legal space exactly X squares away" [empahsis added by me], where as Force Push says "characters are pushed X squares" and says nothing about legal squares, or at the very least whether pits are legal squares or not. Heck, even the definition of Repulse doesn't say anything about walls or low cover/rough terrain because it doesn't matter. You push the unit to 6 squares away.

Oooh....come to think of it...may have to ask the question....if in the right situation on Mustafar, could you Repulse someone, and send them from the center walkway, across the open lava, to the open area between the two rooms? A figure on the edge of that open area could be exactly 6 squares away from a character in the middle of the main walkway. Interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:22 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I think repulse is too good to work with pits. Force push is more reasonable, except for push 4. That is an INSANE ability!

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:49 am 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
The wording for Repulse says each "character is pushed to a legal space exactly X squares away" [empahsis added by me], where as Force Push says "characters are pushed X squares" and says nothing about legal squares, or at the very least whether pits are legal squares or not. Heck, even the definition of Repulse doesn't say anything about walls or low cover/rough terrain because it doesn't matter. You push the unit to 6 squares away.

If you are going to quote it, at least finish the sentence of the rule!

'Each Huge or smaller affected character is also pushed to a legal space exactly 3 square away from this character, following the rules of Force Push.'

Of course, Repulse 3 and 5 don't include the last bit of the sentence, but my guess is that they follow the same rules.

What rules do you use to find a legal space... those in Force Push. So my absolute best guess is that you use the Push rules for pits and they are not different for repulse. Time will tell, and if it is different, I plan to defend my legalese against Nickname's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:52 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LOL

Good catch man. Although, the wording of Repulse which says they have to end in a legal space exactly X squares away is what makes me think pits won't have an interaction with Repulse. Guess we'll see. It is all a bit wordy, I'll definitely give you that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:56 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

It will be interesting to see how push/repulse interacts with pits. It's going to be very complicated, so I can understand why the errata is taking a while to come out.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:12 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Considering Nickname knows that there is an errata, I do believe it has been thought out. Getting permission to post it is another thing, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, since it's been 3 business days since the set released, and no Errata still, I'm willing to bet that WotC_Erik is out of the office for the holidays, and we likely won't see anything get updated till next Monday at the earliest. Kind of retarded that they seem to have only one person that can do the updates. Especially when in the past they've been so good about posting the Errata on the same day that the set comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:04 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I actually think Wotc_Erick will be out of the office a lot longer than that... We will see about the new guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:05 pm 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
Yeah, since it's been 3 business days since the set released, and no Errata still, I'm willing to bet that WotC_Erik is out of the office for the holidays, and we likely won't see anything get updated till next Monday at the earliest. Kind of retarded that they seem to have only one person that can do the updates. Especially when in the past they've been so good about posting the Errata on the same day that the set comes out.

Derr
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=14169278&postcount=40

So, no more WotC_Erik, but... WotC_Erik's Replacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:38 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, umm, WotC_Erik quit. I would say abruptly but some people might want to argue the definition.

Abruptly - When someone tells you to e-mail them your ideas in 2 weeks and then the day after you're supposed to e-mail them turns in his resignation at the company with a public announcement 10 days later.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:17 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

But i thought hypnotoad did shoebox, so that really doesnt explain why shoebox hasnt updated......grrrr. this is getting frustrating for the simple fact that i do all of my squad building on shoebox.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan