logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Post subject: Re: Competitive Play Changes Proposal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:03 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nivuahc wrote:
If a person puts a piece out there, at risk, to get off a crucial shot and, as a result, takes some damage themselves, I don't see how penalizing them for taking risks is fair, based on whether or not they killed all of their opponents in 60 minutes. Because, from what I understand, if a game finishes before time you're not going to apply those same penalties to those players, correct? We're talking about potentially changing the final score to where the loser = the winner because the game didn't finish in 60 minutes. So why wouldn't someone do half damage to a few of his opponents high cost pieces and just play slow, knowing that he'll get half points for them without actually having to kill them?

Yep, I agree, there is some possibility with the idea that an opponent, especially one with Accurate Shot, would focus on multiple targets, whittling them down to less than half HP and trying to win that way. But traditionally, if you split up your attacks, you're going to end up losing. If you don't eliminate threats, then they will continue doing damage to you.

On the other hand, I see what you're saying to some degree. If you take a big risk, it's not really fair to be penalized because of that. However, if you take a big risk, it's usually for a big reward. For instance, you might be running B&B and risk Vader to take out Kyle JBM. Vader gets taken down to 30 HP after all is said and done, but he does manage to kill Kyle. So, after a swap, the NR team kills a 5 point Trooper, and would effectively get 35 points for the half-damage Vader, for a total of 40 points. But the Imp team is still ahead with the kill of Kyle for 54 points. If the plan back-fires, and Kyle stays alive....well, you took the risk anyways, and if Vader manages to stay alive, then you're lucky he's alive period, let alone getting any points.

I'm sure there are ways to abuse it, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. Might need to play-test with it a little bit to figure it out.

I'll try to print out these various suggestions and bring them with me to the LGS tonight to see if people want to try them out. Heck, even if people just want to take a crack at the 1/2 HP = 1/2 points idea, but just keep track of it on the side, might be good for data gathering at least.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:26 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

As a relative newbie to the game, I don't know how much my feedback counts, but I'll offer it anyway...

I support #1 (but not #2)...

#3 & #4 also seem right to me...

#5: I agree GOWK needs changing... I'm open to different suggestions (in other words, I'm not opposed to the suggestions here, but I'm no committed to them, either)

#6 is very interesting... I'd like to playtest this a bit and see how it "feels"

#7 proves that I'm too new to this game... it seems six months is not enough to have learned all the terms... I don't understand this proposal, so I have no opinion on it...

#8 sounds fine to me (as does an alternative mentioned in this thread of just letting the game finish up no matter how long it takes)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:33 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It seems to have been overlooked, so let me say it again:

Increasing the time limit on the final game of the Championship puts an unnecessary hardship on the volunteers, and could take money out of their pocket if the tournament and final presentations don't wrap up before the hotel deadlines.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:36 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

ender_ wrote:
Not owning the Endor map,why is it the exception? And spekaing of maps,how do you plan to make sure that everyone has a copy of the maps?

Either this got over look or someone is thinking of the answer. I would really like an answer since I don't own all of the maps you listed.

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:43 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

ender_ wrote:
ender_ wrote:
Not owning the Endor map,why is it the exception? And spekaing of maps,how do you plan to make sure that everyone has a copy of the maps?

Either this got over look or someone is thinking of the answer. I would really like an answer since I don't own all of the maps you listed.

Endor is not a good map. Additionally, it has special rules and special terrain lines that are not part of any other maps or listed in any rules document.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:52 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
ender_ wrote:
ender_ wrote:

Endor is not a good map. Additionally, it has special rules and special terrain lines that are not part of any other maps or listed in any rules document.

oh,okay that explalins Endor,but what about those who don't own the other maps like me for example.

Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:08 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

#1. I like the idea of restricting the list of maps. I really like the idea of more formats. I just went to my first GenCon and enjoyed the Jedi Challenge and Sealed. I didn't partake in the team tourney but did enjoy watching it. The inclusion of custom maps for the Open format would be fun as well.

#2. I think that no matter the point level, people will still attend the Championship. 200 will just open up option a little more.

#3. Slow play is a slippery slope. I played a couple of guys where it could have been considered slow play. I understand that better players don't need a lot of time between turns and have a better grasp of what they are going to do next. What if a different time limit were made for each point level. I dont think that I had a single 100 Pt match during the JC go over 30 min. But on the other hand, all of my 200 Pt matches went the full hour. Or maybe implimenting something similar to the chess timer in which each player has only limited amount of 'Think Time' per skirmish.

#4. I agree whole-heartedly with you there.

#5. I agree with you here as well. Whether it be MotF 2 or changing the Mettle rule to no stacking or whatever or something similar to DR 20.

#6. Another excellent idea.

#7. Ive never had to deal with that rule, so I dont have any input.

#8. After watching the finals, I wouldn't be opposed to a No time limit Championship.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:30 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

PS on the Open Map List and Endor. It's no worse than other maps on the list. It should be allowed with the notation that the brown line is not used (like the notations about windows and ledges on other maps.) I think the only WotC maps I would not want on the list are the completely open scenario maps for the AT-AT.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:33 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

NickName wrote:
PS on the Open Map List and Endor. It's no worse than other maps on the list. It should be allowed with the notation that the brown line is not used (like the notations about windows and ledges on other maps.) I think the only WotC maps I would not want on the list are the completely open scenario maps for the AT-AT.

Yep, Robin suggested that on Bloomilk as well. As I said there, I am not a fan of it, but if people want it on there, that's fine with me. As long as local stores have the power to control it if they need to, then it's all good with me.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:39 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

ender_ wrote:
oh,okay that explalins Endor,but what about those who don't own the other maps like me for example.

If you attend a Competetive event you will be expected to obtain a legal map first. If you play anyway without one, you may play on your opponent's map every game but you may be subject to DQ, particularly if you hit the situation where neither player has a map. (In reality, it never happens that way. Mostly, people just borrow a legal map.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:44 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

NickName wrote:
ender_ wrote:

If you attend a Competetive event you will be expected to obtain a legal map first. If you play anyway without one, you may play on your opponent's map every game but you may be subject to DQ, particularly if you hit the situation where neither player has a map. (In reality, it never happens that way. Mostly, people just borrow a legal map.)

Well, I have the imperial base map from the 07 starter,the CW starter map, and the hoth map from the hoth battle pack. Out of those I know that only the imperial base map,frieght station and the out post are only legal right?

EDIT:Train Station is also the map from the CW start set right or is a another map?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:46 pm 
Flim
Flim

Master_Jorth wrote:

For #3, you had mentioned this 8 round completion theory before on Wizards, and I supported your idea then because I think it is a completely reasonable (at 150 or even 200) amount of rounds to get done in an hour if both players are focused on getting the game done. I think it would behoove anyone playing 200pts to keep their activation counts within reason on the high end ( I played a Youngling swarm recently with 15 or 16 activations) , and it does tend to go a bit longer when San Hill, Ozzel or Dodonna are around.

I am not trying to jump down your throat but I am trying to correct the misconception that activation control makes it take noticeably longer to play. You have 10 activations and I have 10 with Dodoana. We both have 10 pieces. We have ten things to move, both of us. I spin commanders while you need to decide how to place carefully. Then I have had time to think while you went and I can activate my hitters with no fear of retaliation. If anything Dodoana should actually speed up play for the person with him. The same logic is applicable to anything under 20 activations (but you should still get in alot of rounds even with 20).

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"-- Albus Dumbledore

Proud member of the Triumvirate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:47 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Well, I have the imperial base map from the 07 starter,the CW starter map, and the hoth map from the hoth battle pack. Out of those I know that only the imperial base map,frieght station and the out post are only legal right?

Considering it's just a proposal, it's a bit early to worry about the specifics of what you personally do or do not have. It may not happen, or it may happen with a different list. It's about the concept at the moment.

Quote:
I am not trying to jump down your throat but I am trying to correct the misconception that activation control makes it take noticeably longer to play. You have 10 activations and I have 10 with Dodoana. We both have 10 pieces. We have ten things to move, both of us. I spin commanders while you need to decide how to place carefully. Then I have had time to think while you went and I can activate my hitters with no fear of retaliation. If anything Dodoana should actually speed up play for the person with him. The same logic is applicable to anything under 20 activations (but you should still get in alot of rounds even with 20).

Exactly. Tempo control isn't inherently faster or slower. I really have no idea how it got the rep of slowing things down.

Last edited by NickName on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:49 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

NickName wrote:
Considering it's just a proposal, it's a bit early to worry about the specifics of what you personally do or do not have. It may not happen, or it may happen with a different list. It's about the concept at the moment.

your right as nromally expected :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:51 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

billiv15 wrote:
#6 - In any game that goes to the time limit, all figures who have taken 1/2 damage or more score as 1/2 their kill points (rounded down).

Ok maybe i am grabing at something that is not thier but I have seconded guessed myself of liking this. Lets just say something comes out that makes GMLS a competitive piece and theey way to beat it is a cat and mouse game. you burn threw the first 7 rounds and at the end of the 8th round when time is called you finnaily beat mara jade jedi but she has put enough damage on you to take GMLS below half. Well they just won the game just becasue of the low point high damage output.

What i am grabbing at is that it will discourage the play of high pointed pieces as it is a risk of a cat and mouse game in which they would lose at just becasue the smaller pices can get some high damage output. It may be nothing but I might as well throw it out their

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

NickName wrote:

I disagree. I'm of the opinion that any map that was designed with special rules built into them should not be legal. This includes, Endor, Mustafar, and Geonosis. All of those maps have special rules regarding how they are supposed to work, but the DCI floor rules ignores those special conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:56 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

jew3 wrote:
Master_Jorth wrote:

For #3, you had mentioned this 8 round completion theory before on Wizards, and I supported your idea then because I think it is a completely reasonable (at 150 or even 200) amount of rounds to get done in an hour if both players are focused on getting the game done. I think it would behoove anyone playing 200pts to keep their activation counts within reason on the high end ( I played a Youngling swarm recently with 15 or 16 activations) , and it does tend to go a bit longer when San Hill, Ozzel or Dodonna are around.

I admit it's probably just a perception, however, I guess the 'logic' is the more figs the more thought going into the maneuvering.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:58 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

The idea of the tiebreakers is to try and accurately assess who would have won if the game actually finished.

If GMLS is badly beat up and just a hit or two from defeat and only took out 50 points of stuff with nothing else being below half HP it stands to reason that Luke is probably going to lose more often than not, and thus the tiebreaker decision going to the opponent more often than not is the "right" tiebreak.

Of course, there will be cases where it's wrong. The question is whether it's a significant improvement over the situation now where 10HP beats hide because the opponent already knows the game is going to time and is trying to manipulate the tiebreaks by fleeing rather than actually trying to win. As soon as a player trades the ability to do more damage for hiding in a corner it's basically a lock that they aren't trying to win, they're trying to manipulate a tiebreak in their favor. (Noted exceptions for commander effects, healing, etc.)

Last edited by NickName on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:58 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, here's my thinking on that though. If you play an entire game, and Mara is the only thing to die, but you manage to take down more than half of Luke's HP.....well, let's see here.

You used a 45 point piece to effectively earn 57 points (rounded down). Yeah, I think if you were to play the game out to the end, the player with Mara would likely win that one anyways.

Yes, there are ways to abuse that. Sure, might be that the player with Mara had her, and only her, in terms of big pieces. But if you're the GMLS player, and you let yourself get below 1/2 HP without killing Mara first, KNOWING that the opponent didn't have any other pieces that could kill you once Mara was dead.....well, then the GMLS player deserves to lose, IMO, because they should've played faster, and been able to kill more stuff after Mara went down.

That's the whole point of the 1/2 HP idea. It forces people to play to the conclusion of the game. Not just play till time runs out.

Quote:
I admit it's probably just a perception, however, I guess the 'logic' is the more figs the more thought going into the maneuvering.

Yes, but with Dodonna/San/etc., you typically do not have MORE figures, you usually actually have LESS. Swarm squads are one thing. Someone running 10 acts with San vs. someone with 10 acts and no tempo control should take the exact same amount of average time per round to activate all their figures.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:07 pm 
Flim
Flim

Master_Jorth wrote:
jew3 wrote:
Master_Jorth wrote:

He is a test I give all of my new players. "What do you do while your opponent is activating figs?" If they answer something like "trying to decide where I should move" I know I won't have to worry about them using lots of stuff with lots of wasted time spent. Just because I have more figures to activate at the end doesn't mean I shouldn't be trying to decide what to do know. And thank you for understanding this wasn't an attack on you I was my attempt to discuss an issue I have been seeing.

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"-- Albus Dumbledore

Proud member of the Triumvirate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next