logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next

Post subject: Re: Competitive Play Changes Proposal
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:00 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
You overlooked the qualifier: "if my 'come-from-behind' play doesn't pan out." I didn't say the player would be intentionally seeking another round, but that that would be an avenue they might keep in the back of their mind if they didn't finish the game the way they wanted when time was called.

The possibility exists to do that exact same thing now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:02 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

But realistically if no one has called a judge for slow play before 3 minutes left int he game they are not going to get a extra round. Period. Too late.

Now maybe the problem is other judges will not follow the lead with that mindset. That is where I fall back to education of the judges is huge. Guidelines are a form of educating. There are some others ways too and I hoping to get somewhere soon with that... The ball is now in someone else court not mine.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:02 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LoboStele wrote:
Here's a good example for you. My game with thereisnotry during the Championships at GenCon. It was a mirror match on Teth, so a stand-off for the most part. We only played 4 rounds in the 1 hour time limit. Maybe 5, but I'm pretty sure it was only 4. However, by the end of that 4th round, both of TINT's Speeder and Han were dead, and my Han was dead. At that point, it was obvious who would win, as TINT only had Leia left who could do any damage to my Speeder without rolling crits. If we were to play the game to the full conclusion, I surely would have still won. So, neither of each reached the full match total, but the outcome of the game was quite obvious. Honestly, if the tables were turned opposite, and TINT had beat me that way, I would have surely conceded at that point, even if there were no time limit. It isn't worth playing out the rest of the game. With the 8-round minimum hard-and-fast rule, we would HAVE to play out the other 4 rounds, as I picked off small fodder and his commanders, effectively wasting the time of all the other players who are waiting around (unless someone conceded, but you at least see my point).

So yes, I feel like TINT and I were probably playing a tad slow. Neither of us complained about it though, and we were perfectly OK with how it ended, as honestly, the game likely should have played out similarly even if we'd been playing faster. But even with 4 rounds, we had played enough to show a fairly clear winner (I had killed all his main attacking pieces, while keeping my main piece). So there are certainly instances were only 4-5 rounds is acceptable in an hour. That's where the judges discretion is necessary, IMO.

Since you directly refer to our game, I figure I'll respond too: I agree with your diagnosis. We didn't technically reach 150pts or a full squad kill, but the game had certainly already been decided. So in that way, the game had been played to completion. Is gaining 150pts the main goal, or is defeating your opponent's squad the main goal, or is simply crippling your opponent's squad the main goal? I'd say all 3 are fully consistent with the intent of the game, because in all 3, a full-out combat engagement has occured. I guess players will quibble about what constitutes a "crippling," but IMHO, once a player realizes his squad has no chance to win the game, it's just sportsmanlike to concede the match.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:03 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

NickName wrote:
Quote:
You overlooked the qualifier: "if my 'come-from-behind' play doesn't pan out." I didn't say the player would be intentionally seeking another round, but that that would be an avenue they might keep in the back of their mind if they didn't finish the game the way they wanted when time was called.

The possibility exists to do that exact same thing now.

But most people don't think about it, or didn't before. I guess from now on that will be something to keep in mind, especially if you're at the winning end of the table when the clock runs out.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:04 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

LoboStele wrote:
Mickey wrote:
My concern is how does the discussion part end up in a banning? I don't think I saw any polls or places to vote. Was the decision made by a committee, an individual, WoTC?

Meant to respond to this, but forgot.

There were SEVERAL polls about it. Polling is not allowed on the WOTC forums, but we did have a poll here on Gamers, there were two or three on Bloomilk at different times, and there was one amongst the DCI Rules Advisors Committee on the swmrac.org site. This would be in addition to the massive pages of discussion on the topic across all different sites. A large part of the issue of a poll though, as seen in several of the threads regarding GOWK, would've been the difference between DCI players and non-DCI "casual" players, or even between high-end competitive DCI players vs. people who play for fun, but still use DCI rules and reporting. The methodology used to arrive at the decision to ban GOWK is about the best available, IMO.

JHART wrote:
Instead of penalizing slow play, maby we should alter the scoring system to reward fast play. Make total victories worth more than points victories. It is hard to define slow play, so any rules that penalize slow play are likely to be arbitrarilly applied, no matter how good the judge is. Total victories are easy to define. if we make them worth persueing instead of the points wins it could change the game for the better.

This is a great idea, but the problem is that t requires a change to the DCI software, which doesn't seem likely. Personally, I would love to see an option where a player's victory points are recorded, and then that is used to help with tie-breakers at the end of a tournament. The players who consistently completed games would have more victory points then those that played to time, and thus would get placed higher when there were ties between all of the, for instance, players with 5-2 records. There's some issues with that as well (players with weak SOS get lots more victory points, etc.), but it would encourage people to play the games to conclusion. Again though, the problem with that is that it would require a change to the DCI software, which is about as likely as Carrie Fisher winning the SWM Championship some year.

sadly the DCI software did just change but no one and I mean no one told us so we could ask for some things to be changed.... great!!!!

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:04 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dnemiller wrote:
But realistically if no one has called a judge for slow play before 3 minutes left int he game they are not going to get a extra round. Period. Too late.

I think that it comes down to the fact that neither player was compelled to call a judge. The player with the points lead doesn't care about the speed of the other player if he is going slow. The player playing slow wants that "come-from-behind," last minute kill that hands him the game, so he certainly isn't calling a judge over.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:06 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
You've made this suggestion a couple times over the last page or two of the thread. The notion that you could play slower, hoping for the judge to grant you that extra round....

Eh, I'm pretty sure that a judge won't grant extra rounds in that scenario. As Dean has said elsewhere, if the judge didn't get called over earlier in the game, then they shouldn't be granting rounds at the end (no judge called earlier, means that both players were OK with the speed of the game). Can't "be OK with the speed of the game" up until time is called, and then complain about it because the game didn't work out the way you wanted to.

I still think the BEST strategy in a come-from-behind scenario is to play faster to make sure you have as much time as you need to "come from behind". What if time is called and the judge gives you 1 more round, but it turns out you needed 2 more rounds to actually come from behind? Again, if you'd played faster, earlier in the game, there'd be more likely chance of pulling off the win.

I just don't see this as being an issue. I expect most judges to look at a request like that and roll their eyes, tell the players to sign the result slip, and stop trying to twist the system.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:07 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LoboStele wrote:
This is a great idea, but the problem is that t requires a change to the DCI software, which doesn't seem likely. Personally, I would love to see an option where a player's victory points are recorded, and then that is used to help with tie-breakers at the end of a tournament. The players who consistently completed games would have more victory points then those that played to time, and thus would get placed higher when there were ties between all of the, for instance, players with 5-2 records. There's some issues with that as well (players with weak SOS get lots more victory points, etc.), but it would encourage people to play the games to conclusion. Again though, the problem with that is that it would require a change to the DCI software, which is about as likely as Carrie Fisher winning the SWM Championship some year.

I don't think you were around at the time, but we played a league on VASSAL one season where your score was just your victory points earned. There was no "win/loss". So losing 100-90 was better than winning 50-10. This solved a lot of problems. (And it remains my very favorite VASSAL event to this day.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:07 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I have a suggestion.

For the next 2 weeks at our LGS I'm going to have everyone keep track of the number of rounds that they play in each game and I'll see what they are averaging. I'll keep track of how many games go to time, the build totals of each game, and the experience of the players involved. I'll even attempt to compile the same (or similar) data from the events at Dragon Con (as best as I am able).

I encourage everyone else to do the same so we can all compare notes.

At the very least, it should prove to be educational. Right now I don't believe that we have a major problem with slow play in our group. If I had to guess I would venture to say that our games average about 6-8 rounds for a 150 point match. Maybe I'm completely wrong about all of that, though, so it should be interesting to look at some actual data.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:08 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
dnemiller wrote:

I think that it comes down to the fact that neither player was compelled to call a judge. The player with the points lead doesn't care about the speed of the other player if he is going slow. The player playing slow wants that "come-from-behind," last minute kill that hands him the game, so he certainly isn't calling a judge over.

Right and we have that happen right now so that is a no change situation. I think this example is the original beginning of the slow play era. People would use this tactic to win against a tough opponent. At some point it becomes the normal tactic. Then as a community we get to this point in the game that everyone is playing for just enough points to win versus wiping out their opponent which is much more satisfying.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:12 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Grand Moff Boris wrote:

I question that idea. I believe just about every time I called the judge at Gencon the score was either tied or I was ahead. I called them every time I was in round 3 or less at the 30 minute mark.

A top level player knows that a slow game creates too much power for chance to affect the outcome. Good players can often recover from a few bad rolls, or loss of a piece early. But if you allow your opponent to get the game down to one or two rolls at the end, without time to recover, you have given the game away potentially.

This is my primary concern with it over the years. Slow play, hurts the better player on average. It's a strategy that lesser players will use (both knowingly and unknowingly) to even the playing field against a player they would have trouble beating otherwise. It removes some of the influence of skill, and replaces it with a stronger influence of luck.

If you are a top level player, not only do you want the lead in points, but you also want to be calling the judge early and update them on play speed for cases where the opponent creates an unfair game situation with the clock.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:15 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

With the fact we are limited by time in tourneys I don't see how we can manage an outcome other than by scoring points. It's just not viable to expect all games to end in total kill. I've played more casual games than DCI timed games and we have always played to kill them all. A game like that can take hours. If the national games get bumped up to 200 pt squads it is safe to say you will not be finishing games by killing everything. Points is going to have to be how you decide a victor in a match. I think the goal then needs to be to apply points as much as you can on the actions of the players since points will determine the outcome of the game. I think it is safe to say that all games can determine a winner by points, but you can't say the same about killing everything.

There are no negative point losses in the game thus far. Why not assign a -5 point loss each round you do not score a point either through a kill or through a gambit gain. Allow the first round grace. No one has commented on that yet and I can only guess it is ignored or considered a bad idea :lol: From initially thinking it through it seems to me it would force players to act more in the game rather than sit back and do nothing. It seems a deterrent for some slow play methods.

I know I do not like the idea of round limits because there is so much that can determine how many rounds you get through that are legal. I don't like activation limits because that will limit the fun in making squads.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:17 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

I question that idea. I believe just about every time I called the judge at Gencon the score was either tied or I was ahead. I called them every time I was in round 3 or less at the 30 minute mark.

A top level player knows that a slow game creates too much power for chance to affect the outcome. Good players can often recover from a few bad rolls, or loss of a piece early. But if you allow your opponent to get the game down to one or two rolls at the end, without time to recover, you have given the game away potentially.

This is my primary concern with it over the years. Slow play, hurts the better player on average. It's a strategy that lesser players will use (both knowingly and unknowingly) to even the playing field against a player they would have trouble beating otherwise. It removes some of the influence of skill, and replaces it with a stronger influence of luck.

If you are a top level player, not only do you want the lead in points, but you also want to be calling the judge early and update them on play speed for cases where the opponent creates an unfair game situation with the clock.

Well Bill, not everyone is as scrupulous as you. :)

The only other comment I would make on this is that you have to be careful with statements like these. It can be interpreted to imply these rules are meant to protect certain types of players, but the issue of slow play is far more reaching than that. (I know that is not the intent of your proposal, but nevertheless.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:19 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dnemiller wrote:
Then as a community we get to this point in the game that everyone is playing for just enough points to win versus wiping out their opponent which is much more satisfying.

We keep coming back to this. Playing for points is not the result of community development. WotC made playing for points matter, both through Gambit and through the widespread addition of the HSD concept.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:30 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I don't see how you can't play for points unless you are going to open up the time of a game to unlimited. Since tourneys are subjected to a certain length of time this is just not possible. So it seems to me the concept of playing for points for a win has to be accepted as the outcome of a match. Forcing people to play faster will not cause every match to be finished by squad kills.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:35 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

billiv15 wrote:
JHART wrote:
Instead of penalizing slow play, maby we should alter the scoring system to reward fast play. Make total victories worth more than points victories. It is hard to define slow play, so any rules that penalize slow play are likely to be arbitrarilly applied, no matter how good the judge is. Total victories are easy to define. if we make them worth persueing instead of the points wins it could change the game for the better.

We've talked about this over the years, and it has more problems. First, you reward the guy who had the weakest SoS. Second, you allow for manipulation of the scoring system by opponent's who simply won't let you get the full "win" for a variety of reasons. And third, you don't actually do anything about slow play. In this case, there is no real penalty. So the guy who does it, can still do it just fine. He might not win, but he is still going to affect the outcome, and will never learn to play faster.

I know what you mean about SoS. I did consider that. At the high end of the competitive SoS there is very little differance between the players. To get to the low end of the field you need to lose a match or two, which will take you out of contention anyway. So, if we use diffinitive victory as a tie breaker instead of SoS we lose very little and gain an incentive to play faster. As for opponents who do not let you get the full win, your opponent is not supposed to let you win.
Due to the nature of this game, I do not believe you can stop slow play by having the judge penalize it. There are to many totally legitimit reasons to take your time that have nothing to do with running out the clock. If you are going to stop slow play, you need to make it benificial to play fast or remove the benifits of playing slow by setting a minimum number of rounds.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:37 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
dnemiller wrote:
Then as a community we get to this point in the game that everyone is playing for just enough points to win versus wiping out their opponent which is much more satisfying.

We keep coming back to this. Playing for points is not the result of community development. WotC made playing for points matter, both through Gambit and through the widespread addition of the HSD concept.

I guess I just disagree with this. I see it as they were trying to create a way aorund a lock out victory. TO me it took the players to find abuses in the system.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:43 am 

Mickey wrote:
I don't see how you can't play for points unless you are going to open up the time of a game to unlimited. Since tourneys are subjected to a certain length of time this is just not possible. So it seems to me the concept of playing for points for a win has to be accepted as the outcome of a match. Forcing people to play faster will not cause every match to be finished by squad kills.

First off, it is entirely possible to finish games in an hour. Even at Gencon, I finished almost all of my games in time. In the champ itself, I finished 8/10 games. I finished the 100pts tourney with a 4 round total time of 68 minutes of game play. I was shooting for 60 minutes or less, but my last round took longer than it needed.

This garbage that's it not possible that most games are done in time, or that the large majority have to go to points is just a fallacy. No one has ever said that "all" games will finish. So please, stop using that as a kind of red herring argument. Quite simply, if more than 25% of your games go to the time limit, you are playing slow, and should be subject to the existing rules against it.

And finally, you don't have to be me to play at a decent speed. That really isn't the issue. It isn't just about knowing your cards, or the maps, or any of that. Most of you know that as well as I. It's about your mindset when you start the game. You only plan on playing 4-5 rounds when you play. So you play the game as if that is how much time you actually get to use. Technically speaking, you don't. Just because our community has allowed it for a while, does not mean it's correct.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:45 am 

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
dnemiller wrote:

Probably because we don't agree with your statement in any way. You want to keep coming back to it. I really don't. I don't think it's anything of real substance or importance honestly. I could make all the arguments that it's the community's fault primarily, but what's the point?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:46 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Mickey wrote:
There are no negative point losses in the game thus far. Why not assign a -5 point loss each round you do not score a point either through a kill or through a gambit gain. Allow the first round grace. No one has commented on that yet and I can only guess it is ignored or considered a bad idea :lol: From initially thinking it through it seems to me it would force players to act more in the game rather than sit back and do nothing. It seems a deterrent for some slow play methods.

Well, there are some abuses. Sometimes, you get engaged in combat away form the gambit area, and maybe you have some lousy rolls and don't manage to kill anything that round. It's bad enough you rolled bad, but now you also have to take a -5 penalty! Ouch! The way you worded it here is better than how you worded it earlier (you included getting gambit as a way to avoid the -5 penalty this time, you didn't include that the previous times you suggested the idea), but I still think it leaves too much for abuse. In addition, it really doesn't encourage action any more than the current gambit system. If you can avoid the penalty simply by gaining gambit each round, then there's still no incentive to fight. If you take away the part about gambit preventing the penalty, so that only killing opponents prevents penalties...well, then you completely neuter people from playing swarm squads, because people will play big beat sticks that can survive multiple rounds, hoping their opponents will take -5 penalties. In addition, lock-outs or run/hide problems could still happen. As long as one player gets ahead on points, then they won't care if both players take -5 penalties from round to round, because the difference in points still stays the same.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next