All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Sun, Aug 2nd Chicago Jedi Challenge Mini Marathon Tournamnt
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:55 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sun, Aug 2nd Chicago Jedi Challenge Mini Marathon Tournament

Cost: FREE!!!
Each player brought 4 squads. One 100pt, one 150pt, one 200pt, and one TILE WARS (200pt).

Round 1 - 100pts
Round 2 - 200pts
Round 3 - 150pts
Round 4 - TILE WARS (200 pts)

The squads could have had the same characters or not. They could have been the same faction or not.

--------------> Special thanks to Fool and Boba52 for sending prize support. Thanks again guys - that was super cool!

Final Standings (top 6)

1. Deri M (fingersandteeth)
100 - GM Yoda, Rex, R2 astro, uggie
200 - Yodabuck, AniStap, Rex, Qui-Gon JT, Panaka, R2 astro, Mas, filler
150 - Han Smuggler, Luke RC, Madine, Bothan Noble, ERC, Reeikan, Dod,
TILE WARS - Kyle JM, Han GH, Mara Jedi, Gen Wedge, Ossus Guardian
2. Tim B (TimmerB123)
100 - Rex, Dash Rendar RS, Lobot, R2 astro, uggie
200 - Terrible Twi'Leks
150 - Mara Jedi, Kol, Wedge
TILE WARS - Durge JH, Dart Tyranus LotDS, ym, Aurra Sing JH, Wicket
3. Mark C (Iamcrudo)
100 - Boba Merc, Twi"lek BSV, Reeikan, 2 Mouse Droids, 1 uggie
200 - Kyle JBM, Mara Jedi, Leia Skywalker, Gen Wedge, CLObot, Dodanna
150 - Boba BH cannon (Bothan Nobles, etc.)
TILE WARS - Revan, Sith Lord x3, Sith apprentice, Sid Hologram
4. Jonny B (Jonnyb815)
5. Sean R (cultofgreedo)
6. John S (cheich)

Also in attendance were:

Peter M (treknogeek)
Gunnar M (DarthMalstrom)
Dave J
Jake K
and Javitt came by for a couple rounds too.

It was a great time - kinda cool to get so many different squads in one day. Every faction was represented!

I won my first round (100pts) in a close one against Jake. Jake played Wedge, Kol and Leia Skywalker, no dodanna. I had Rex, Dash R2, Lobot and filler. He placed Leia poorly one time, and I took her out with Rex and Dash. It was downhill from there for him. He did a valiant sprint in with Kol, eventually taking out Rex since I based him to nerf his evade, but it was too much firepower for him to overcome in the end,

I won round two in a really close match against Mark. I had Terrible Twi'Leks (Xizor, <new> Thrawn, Ozzel, Imp Gov Tarkin, Czerka, Lobot, 3 TBS vigos, filler), and he ran Mara, Wedge, Kyle JBM, Luke Ghost, Dodanna, CLObot, filler. It really came down to one bad placement of Mara, outside Kyle's disruptive bubble. I was able to get my Czerka into position through out-activating him heavily, and swap a Twi'lek BSV in to base Mara (no more evade for her!). I only needed 3s, but of course I rolled a 1 AND a 2! Thank goodness for Thrawn! I win init and now need 7s (needing to hit 2 times now), well 2 misses later I barely pulled it off, and finished her. Unfortunately that was the majority of the time in the game, and then I just had to pull back and play defensively for two more rounds. Kyle alone couldn't kill enough.

Round three was against NR again! Peter brought Wedge, Mara, 2 ossus Guardians and Cade, Padawan. I had NR this time too, with Mara, Kol and Wedge. The difference came down to me having door control and Peter only having three uggies. It was a powerful team, but after the uggies were dead and I was already ahead (killed one vong and had more gambit), then it was played on my terms. Peter was able to save Mara in the end through Cade, Padawan (that was cool to see), but I still pulled it off.

LOL - I hadn't realized until just now that I played against NR all day. Considering there were over 40 different squads present - and only 8 NR (one of those mine!) - that's pretty slim odds.

Championship - I had Durge JH, Dart Tyranus LotDS, ym, Aurra Sing JH, Wicket vs Deri (Kyle JM, Han GH, Mara Jedi, Gen Wedge, Ossus Guardian). Smart positioning of his pieces made me have to take out his Ossus Guardian first. No small feat, since my squad was mainly Jedi-Hunters. I threw Aurra in the middle with Nym right behind (Taking away evade). Then smacked him with Tyranus to get him down to 10 hp with Durge left to go. Without BH or JH bonuses, he needed a 9 to hit. I used the triple and missed all three. That was big. Mara was lined up to kill Aurra if Deri won init. Aurra would have a sick Baster Barrage probably taking out Mara and 60 off Kyle. I lost init, was sliced and diced, and quickly lost everyone else. Han finished off Nym, while Kyle came in to take out Durge. If memroy serves I did take out Mara, but too little too late. Then it was Tyranus vs the world. Even with MotF2, duelist and renewal, Kyle pretty much took him out alone. I laughed the next day when I realized Nym has recon that I didn't use. Duh! Might have not made a difference, but if I had won that big init - it would have been a game at least. As it was - it was a slaughtering!

Congrats to Deri - he played awesome all day with 4 great squads.

I hope to do more fun tournaments in the future. I hope we can get a good regular group going again.

Post subject: Re: Sun, Aug 2nd Chicago Jedi Challenge Mini Marathon Tournamnt
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:49 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

100 TBSV x3, czerka, r4, r2 sensor, Gen dod, uggies (Taris)
200 Anakin stap, DW, Dash, Lobot ,Mas ,Panaka, Qui gon JT, Roron ,R2 Ruined Base
150 Lobot, Aurra JH, Asajj SA, Dash RS, San Cloud City
Tile Wars Boba Merc, Vong JHx5,Priest,Hum Bg,Bg,uggie

In the 100 the game took 2 mins i killed myself via a SB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:51 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice! Sounds like you guys had fun!

And Tim, don't beat yourself up over Nym's Recon. Deri had Han GH, so you couldn't use Recon anyways. :P

I haven't even thought remotely about Tile Wars possibilities for GenCon. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to do the Team Event or the Tile Wars, or possibly both. Gotta look at the new options for TW.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Nice! Sounds like you guys had fun!

And Tim, don't beat yourself up over Nym's Recon. Deri had Han GH, so you couldn't use Recon anyways. :P

I haven't even thought remotely about Tile Wars possibilities for GenCon. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to do the Team Event or the Tile Wars, or possibly both. Gotta look at the new options for TW.

LOL - you're right!!! Man, first I forgot Recon, then I forgot about Deri having Han GH! He did the same apparently, because when I told him I forgot Recon - he said, "Wow - that was big, it could have really changed things!"

It's so funny when you play this game for so long and then you forget simple things like that.

I hope you do both TILE WARS and the team event. I especially (since I am biased) hope you do TILE WARS. I am sure you'll come up with a killer squad (you always do!)

I will be judging TILE WARS this year, and truth be told I am really looking forward to seeing all the different squad ideas, and the general evolution of the game.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:28 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

1st match was agaisnt Peter who basically admitted he was probably the most inexperienced guy in the room. He brought Reiken, Han NTMTO, Luke HoY, A TBSV and fodder. We were on the rancor pit and i had the pit side. He moved up but left the vigo in potential LOS. One tow with rex, two failed evade saves and it was no more. Next round he did a similar thing with Luke HoY. Basically out of 8 saves, Peter made one. Once luke was dead, yoda mopped up.

2nd match was potentially interesting. Gunner was also running a Republic swap squad with rex + dash, Anakin HoN, Padme Sen.
We were on his map (munnalinst). I had pillar side. We both advanced but he spearated Dash from his group. A tow, Gallop, swap and Strafe ended Dash. Gunner made the mistake of leaving R2 with no-one to tow so there was no counter attack. After that it was just picking thinkgs off. Yoda/Anakin finished padme/mas and panaka. Rex, qui gon and panaka finished Anakin, r2 and rex.

3rd match was the agains Shawn with Han St, Shaak Ti, Luke LotLS, Princess leia and r2 extenze.
We played on the ratatak arena i got right side. I took gambit with my diplomat with ghost for cover while he moved into the arena. I managed to get a shot on Han St with smuggler and put 40 on him. He won init and then got 20 off my Commando. He found a line with luke on Leia Org and put 20 on her and tried to finish her with Han.
Han smuggler finished Han St and he retreated out of the top entrance to the arena. Shaak Ti advanced and killed the ghost which allowed Leia to get killed by PL.
I took shots at leia and retreated out of the areana. The start of the round I took a cunning twin with teh ERC combineing fire with dodonna and reiken and locked the door in his face. He used R2 to open and attacked the ERC but Han killed R2 and my r2 locked the door again. He retreated to the bottom corner of the arena next round. I opened the door and levitated Han next to Shaak. Two shots later and Shaak was dead, he conceeded at that point.

Last match was v Tim you read the report above. The swing point in the match (other than the recon less init) was Tim missing 3 shots on the OSsus for the kill needing 13s. Durge would have probably done enough dmg to bring it close but without the ossus dying it was pretty lopsided. Mara was MVP.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:31 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
Last match was v Tim you read the report above. The swing point in the match (other than the recon less init) was Tim missing 3 shots on the OSsus for the kill needing 13s. Durge would have probably done enough dmg to bring it close but without the ossus dying it was pretty lopsided. Mara was MVP.

If memory serves you brought the Ossus up to no cover so I couldn't run a dark side user by you without taking 40 damage. Therefore I only needed a 9 or better on three rolls to hit. Not rolling a 13 or more on 3 rolls is slightly bad luck. Not rolling a 9 on 3 rolls really sucks. But regardless, it is true - it was a mop-up after that, and only IF I had killed the Ossus, AND IF I won that big init would we have had a game on our hands. *sigh* I guess any game can pinpoint one or two things that if they had gone differently . . . but they didn't. And I got spanked.

Oh - also, props to Dave who brought the crater as a tile to TILE WARS. I know it really got Deri and My minds racing as to how best use it to your advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:57 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

TimmerB123 wrote:
fingersandteeth wrote:
Oh - also, props to Dave who brought the crater as a tile to TILE WARS. I know it really got Deri and My minds racing as to how best use it to your advantage.

I had planned to use the Crater for my TW squad at Gencon...but then I realized that my TW squad couldn't compete, so I changed my squad and therefore my tile. If you have two heavy tanks (Durge JH, Warmaster, GOWK...er, not GOWK), the Crater can be amazing, since you can bottle-neck your opponent's melee pieces on the sides while your evading shooters go to town on whatever they want.