logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 8/8/09 at Owensboro, KY
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:56 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I think we had 10 players, maybe 12, not sure.
The other players were kind enough to wait for me to get there, as I had to work in the early afternoon and was about 30 minutes late as a result. Thanks guys! :D

Anyway, on the drive up to the store - which took about an hour - I must have thumbed through my boxes of cards about 15 times (my wife was driving), but I couldn't come up with any good ideas. I knew that those of us going to GenCon would be practicing their squad ideas, and I would need something that would actually compete. Finally, when I got to the store, I decided to just accept the fact that anything I would build would probably lose to the GenCon practicers and just play something I would have fun with. I settled on:

45 Mara Jade, Jedi
38 Kol Skywalker
26 Kyp Durron
23 Wedge Antilles
05 Camaasi Noble
06 Ugnaught x2
04 Gran Raider x1
03 Mouse Droid x1

I grabbed the Death Star map and rolled for map choice against my first opponent, who was playing Rebel Commandos with a bunch of Bothans, Rieekan, and Crix. He had Luke, Rebel Commando and Lobot CLO. He rolled an 11 for init twice, and brought in Dash Rendar RS the first time. I played very carefully and very deliberately. Force Push 2 and Force Lightning pulled me through the game.

1-0

Game 2 against Wedge, Garm Bel Iblis, Leia Skywalker, ERC, Ithorian Commander, Ossus Guardian x2

Again on the Death Star, this was a very well put-together squad. The Ossus Guardians gained the IC"s +4/+10 bonus, and would hit my Force users very hard. However, I realized at the end of round 2 that Kol could move 16 squares and base my opponent's IC, so that's what I did. I won init on the next round and activated Kol, using precision. Killed the IC, then went for Wedge who was also adjacent. Kol did eventually die, and Kyp followed suit shortly after, but Mara cleaned up on Leiaand the Ossus Guardian that was left.

2-0

Game 3 I played against one of the GenCon preppers. He had something similar to my idea but that is all I will say. I made a serious play mistake against him when I chose to base one of his main attackers with Kol instead of using Force Push 2. The decision cost me Kol, which in turn screwed me up with Kyp because he couldn't use Force Lightning as I had intended. Kyp then died, and I was on the run until Mara rolled a crit with cunning on one of the main enemy figs, which lead to its defeat.

3-0

There were two of us 3-0 at the end of the third round, but my wife called during game 3 and she was done shopping. We normally only play 3 rounds and so I had told her I would be ready to go, too. So though the suggestion of a play-off was made, I declined and conceded to the other player. Besides, I was getting hungry as it was very close to dinner time at that point. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: 150 8/8/09 at Owensboro, KY
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:00 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice. I also tried a NR squad this past week at ACME, and I was impressed by how well I did with it. Actually managed to beat a Snowspeeder squad ON TARIS no less. Was a really tough game though, and I'm afraid if someone like Bill or TINT where playing the SS squad, I wouldn't have had as much of a chance to win that one. Hard to say though. I liked how it played out overall, but I haven't quite decided how I really want to run the squad.

The main thing I keep toying back and forth with is whether to use Kyp or a YV Ossus Guardian in those builds. They're the same # of points, so it's a tough toss-up. The Ossus Guardian is WAY more survivable, but does a lot less damage, especially against non-Force users. But Kyp is so fragile....I don't know...tough calls all around.

EDIT: Did you mean for this to go in the Squad critique area, or should it have been in the Tourney Results?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:23 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

LoboStele wrote:

The main thing I keep toying back and forth with is whether to use Kyp or a YV Ossus Guardian in those builds. They're the same # of points, so it's a tough toss-up. The Ossus Guardian is WAY more survivable, but does a lot less damage, especially against non-Force users. But Kyp is so fragile....I don't know...tough calls all around.

EDIT: Did you mean for this to go in the Squad critique area, or should it have been in the Tourney Results?

Hey just a question on Kyp. When he gets IFR (and thus IS) how does that interact? Can you choose to start your turn and Fp5 or are your forced to base enemies because of Savagery?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

If you can base an enemy, then you have to. The only way you can use FP5 once Savage is in play, is if you start your turn adjacent to an enemy. It's one of the reasons I shy away from playing Kyp very much, lol.