logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: The world after GOWK gets banned...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:50 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Boba52 wrote:
I am pretty sure this is the EXACT moment were it turned to be about you.

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Is this really the type of post a "Forum Guide" and ambassador for WotC should be making?

Sometimes the best post is no post at all. :P :D

At least over here no one can hit the report button over and over again just because they see my name at the top of the post. :P

I'm not going to apologize for sharing my opinion. I'm not going to stop sharing my opinion either, not just because there are some people who see my name and anticipate or infer attitudes and emotions that don't exist.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:03 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
You're right about one thing. I can't change my posting style. Not because I don't want to or because I have some sort of perverse pleasure in offending people, but because I can't (as I recently discovered) be sure what actually offends. Even in disagreements between us about something, you have commented something I said offended you, and I actually went back and edited something entirely different - not ever realizing it was a different comment that got your attention.

I'm not sure if you've ever said anything that actually offended me. But you write a lot of stuff that I understand why people get upset about. I read the post, write something, delete it because it's not worth it, and start the internal countdown in my head "3,2,1..." until someone posts basically exactly what my first impression was.

Quote:
I hate that we are suddenly making this about me, btw. It really should not be.

You opened yourself up when you made it about Fool's status on WotC. You made it about the poster instead of the post. If you had just said "not funny" or even that you felt it was some personal attack on you (which I don't understand and wouldn't interpret it as but assuming you do) without relating it to that situation which I think most will also apply to you as another "ambassador of the game" whether you consider yourself one or not I don't think it would have given such an immediate first impresson of hypocrisy.

Anyway, that's another worthless attempt to explain why. :D Last word is yours as I'm not interested in being dragged further into another public discussion about you. PM is always available if there's something you really are curious to know.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:24 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

NickName wrote:
You opened yourself up when you made it about Fool's status on WotC. You made it about the poster instead of the post. If you had just said "not funny" or even that you felt it was some personal attack on you (which I don't understand and wouldn't interpret it as but assuming you do) without relating it to that situation which I think most will also apply to you as another "ambassador of the game" whether you consider yourself one or not I don't think it would have given such an immediate first impresson of hypocrisy.

Well first I didn't feel like it was an attack on me. Others, yes, but not me. Looking back, I can see what you're saying about me making it about the poster instead of the post. It's a fine line, I admit.

Secondly, its kind of some people (even in the context of this thread) to consider me some sort of "ambassador" at the level of which Fool is now involved, but I don't see myself that way. I'm happy to help new players and discuss fun stuff about the game, but to me that is not the same thing. Ok, that's all I have to say on the subject. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:48 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Grand Moff Boris wrote:

Secondly, its kind of some people (even in the context of this thread) to consider me some sort of "ambassador" at the level of which Fool is now involved, but I don't see myself that way. I'm happy to help new players and discuss fun stuff about the game, but to me that is not the same thing. Ok, that's all I have to say on the subject. :)

I'm a forum guide? :o

We're Doomed!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:59 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fool wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

I'm a forum guide? :o

We're Doomed!

I was going to say...I have absolutely no clue what this "ambassador" stuff is. Fool is as much of a champion for the game as any of the rest of us. Heck, even Fool isn't considered one of the "big three" to use the WOTC terminology. :P

I personally thought it was a bit funny, but a bit mocking as well. But I tried to take it in stride, and just ignore it. :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:05 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

LoboStele wrote:
I was going to say...I have absolutely no clue what this "ambassador" stuff is. Fool is as much of a champion for the game as any of the rest of us. Heck, even Fool isn't considered one of the "big three" to use the WOTC terminology. :P

I personally thought it was a bit funny, but a bit mocking as well. But I tried to take it in stride, and just ignore it. :P

I wouldn't even consider myself on the galaxy, let alone atmosphere / planet / stratosphere / radar.

I'm just some dude.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:29 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

[/quote]

EDIT BY BORIS - DO NOT MISQUOTE!

If you have something to say or a post to make, then make it![/quote]

Not sure how I misqouted here. I was simply agreeing with Fool.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:56 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Grand Moff Boris wrote:

At least over here no one can hit the report button over and over again just because they see my name at the top of the post. :P

Muhahaha!! I've found it, REPORT, REPORT, REPORT!!!!!

on topic-ish, though I think this discussion was run through once, I'm looking forward to the new options that all factions have gotten in JA.
Like: - New Vong SA, and Vong in the NR
- Teaming Assaj with old Durge and wreaking havok!! (not JA.. but meh!)
- New NR piece
- New Sith Lords
- OR fun!

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:01 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Ruhk wrote:
- Teaming Assaj with old Durge and wreaking havok!! (not JA.. but meh!)

At least the third time I've seen this.....old Durge's CE ONLY works for non-Uniques. So, personally, I'd rather team up the new Durge with Assaj SA. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:52 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

What if he doesn't get banned and they just errata him where he loses his CE. Which would suck as he would become a follower but you would have to put him with new Yoda which takes a lot of your points.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:02 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

lordofnitril wrote:
What if he doesn't get banned and they just errata him where he loses his CE. Which would suck as he would become a follower but you would have to put him with new Yoda which takes a lot of your points.

Well the main problem is he got erratted to this state of disrepair.

This was force on us..... a practically unkillable super commander.

One of the things I hope from a ban is it will force Wizards, Rob or fill in the blank to go back and look what happened and he can be fixed.

Soresu Style Mastery cannot be changed to much because as the wizards database has shown Luminara has Soresu Style... So they have to be somewhat close.

Mettle seems to be the biggest issue.

I wish when he was playtested it had not been one on one against Dooku of Serrano as this mistake would have been spotted long before we reached this point.

The game can be frustrating enough when you watch Vader's Apprentice Redeemed evade 120 dmg in one game thanks to Rieekan.... but when you watch Gowk avoid 800 in one game and you realize disruptive won't help... force defense wont help.... missles wont help..... it gets a bit more than frustrating for any one person.

Are force lightening, flame thrower, force push and other direct dmage things good counters? Sure are they totally effective? NO

That is the problem with it for me. A good hate squad should do better than just 45-50% chance of winning and that really is about all you get with Gowk....

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:43 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

A new rulebook/glossary would need to be printed

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:29 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

ender_ wrote:
A new rulebook/glossary would need to be printed

I don't think so. A DCI ban will do nothing to the fact that casual players will play him.

PS: Post 501 for me! I'm a Jedi Knight!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:20 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, a ban has nothing to do with the game itself. It is strictly for a specific tournament sub-set.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:49 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Yeah, a ban has nothing to do with the game itself. It is strictly for a specific tournament sub-set.

I meant in the fact that the glossary still says melee only correct? And it owuld helpful for thoe who haven't yet come online but are showing up to thire frist DCI game ever.

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:14 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

ender_ wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

I meant in the fact that the glossary still says melee only correct? And it owuld helpful for thoe who haven't yet come online but are showing up to thire frist DCI game ever.

If they "haven't yet come online" and are showing up for their "first DCI game ever"... "GOWK is banned in DCI play" is going to be the least of their worries.

Who the hell is Gambit?

Victory Points? What Victory Points?

What do you mean we only have 60 minutes?

Why can't I use my Korriban map? I got it in a starter!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:26 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Even if the rulebook were updated, they could still show up playing Komari Vosa as non-melee or a Dooku/Tyranus squad. :D It's kind of a non-issue...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:09 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
NickName wrote:
Even if the rulebook were updated, they could still show up playing Komari Vosa as non-melee or a Dooku/Tyranus squad. :D It's kind of a non-issue...

Cursed need to carry my errat folder everywhere. ARGH!!!

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dnemiller wrote:
Soresu Style Mastery cannot be changed to much because as the wizards database has shown Luminara has Soresu Style... So they have to be somewhat close.

Well, not that this is a fix GOWK thread, but it seems if you were going to try and fix him you would just elimate SSM all together and just give him Lightsaber Defense like he should have had in the first place. Having to use a force point would have stopped all this prevent 900 damage nonsense straight away.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Boba52 wrote:
dnemiller wrote:

Well, not that this is a fix GOWK thread, but it seems if you were going to try and fix him you would just elimate SSM all together and just give him Lightsaber Defense like he should have had in the first place. Having to use a force point would have stopped all this prevent 900 damage nonsense straight away.

Actually, I suggested the following at one point, but I don't know how far it went - probably not very:

Soresu Style Mastery (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11. When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11.)

So it still works very similar but there is a way to deal with it - get adjacent with a non-melee fig. Alternatively, just giving him Evade and Parry would have amounted to the same thing.

Lightsaber Defense makes him vulnerable to Vong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next