logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Cincy Regional Results
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:25 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

would like to congratulate James Naegele for going undefeated in 5 rounds.

His squad:
Boba BH
Rex
R2 Astromech
Lobot
Czerka
Mouse Droid x2

Map Train Station

With this squad he claimed the 4-Day GenCon pass. Thus keeping the Cincy pass in Cincy :D Despite the best efforts of the evil invaders from the north, east,and west.

Over the next day or so, I will get the list of the squads played and what the match ups were and get them posted. He was matched up with LoboStele’s GOWK squad in round three which led to a memorable discussion at the end. I think Fett only had one disintegration all day and that was in the final game where he took out Vader Unleashed.

1st James Naegele AKA FrakkinMando 5-0
2nd Aaron Brueckman AKA LoboStele 4-1
3rd Bryan Creehan AKA Lackey 4-1
4th Jason Alvey AKA dark_jedi_21 4-1
5th Justin Ross 3-2
6th Matt Stielper 3-2
7th Brian Re AKA StriderRe 3-2
8th Gray Whitsott AKA AdmiralGraybar 3-2
9th Dennis Beard AKA Boris the Dwarf 3-2
10th Bob Smith AKA Squid89 2-3

I would like to thank Matt at YottaQuest for hosting this event.

Complete report http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag5f9b3/n/Cinci_regional_report_pdf

Sorry that I forgot everyone screen names and like I said once I figure out the best way to post all the information I will.

Post subject: Re: Cinci Regional Results
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:04 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Very interesting results.

I also got a bit of a blow by blow from Dennis when he called last night.

Very interesting stuff. Congrats to James. Hey I am just wondering as it hs been a while but it seemed like James really liked Boba BH at Gencon too. He lives up to the FrakkinMando user name for sure.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post subject: Re: Cinci Regional Results
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:16 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

dnemiller wrote:
Very interesting results.

I also got a bit of a blow by blow from Dennis when he called last night.

Very interesting stuff. Congrats to James. Hey I am just wondering as it hs been a while but it seemed like James really liked Boba BH at Gencon too. He lives up to the FrakkinMando user name for sure.

Yeah, the last match woulda definitely been better if he hadn't Disintegrated Lackey's Darth Vader Unleashed...

I edited the first post to add in a couple screennames (sorry if I got it wrong or left someone out, was just going by memory). Also, it's "Cincy" with a 'y' ;)

We had 20 show up but 2 ended up dropping so we had 18 for the last game. I went 2-3 and was placed 11th (I think Madman was 13th). The 2 guys I defeated were actually the 2 that dropped, then I also faced (and lost to) James, AdmiralGraybar, and StriderRe. All 3 games started out close, got really close in the middle of the game, and after that it was all downhill for me, lol.

Post subject: Re: Cincy Regional Results
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:10 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I played:

GOWK
JWM x1
Dash Rendar
Human Bodyguard x1
R2, Astromech
Camaasi Noble
Mouse Droid x1
Ug x2
Aqualish Assassin x1

I went with the JWM over Rex after reading the Atlanta report. Seemed like there was a lot of Evade running around, and if I have to base, I want to do that with a JWM rather than Rex. The JWM also gets a better defense and better attack, and can stave off more damage.

So how the hell did I end up in ninth place you ask? Well I attribute it completely to random chance throughout the tournament.

1. First round, paired against fellow Owensboro-area player Jason Alvey, I rolled a total of SIX 1's with GOWK, including attacks and saves, and even in the case of Mettle (which I had to actually ask a judge if I needed a negative number to hit if a 1 still missed as that has never been an issue before). I lost almost every initiative. Though the fact that Jason went on to play ALL 3 of the other GOWK squads and only lost to one of them made me feel a little better.

2. Round 2, my opponent had Rebel Commandos with Leia Hoth Commander and made 75% of his Leia saves. By the time I was able to get to Leia with GOWK, I was too far behind in points to catch up. My own experiences with LHC have never been that good, not even in mass battle/Attack on Hoth events.

3. I got a bye in round 3 because someone dropped. I was pretty pissed about that, to be honest. I hate byes, and the fact that it screwed me on Strength of Schedule plus had to sit around for 1 hour and twiddle my thumbs after I drove 5 hours to play didn't make me feel better.

4. It wasn't all bad luck when it came to chance. In round 4, I played Madman and rolled a pair of 20's against his Kyp with my Dash. In round 5, I did something similar to Squid89's Darth Malak.

The entire event (for me at least) was dice dependent.

All in all I had a great time, and I didn't make the trip to Cincy with any expectations of winning. I just wanted to support their event, and try to encourage as many of the players there as possible to come take part in ours next weekend. :)

Still, I felt a little silly after all the comments I've made in favor of the "ban GOWK" rhetoric that I couldn't pull better than "first loser," and it actually is making me rethink my position about the whole issue.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:52 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I would like to thank all of our out-of-towners for making the trip. It was really great to meet some of you and to see others again. A huge thanks to Les though for offering to Judge the event!

James deserves some props for pulling out the win. He has really struggled with finding his niche with these last few sets. I can say that he does firmly live by his screen name. He likes Fett, he likes playing Mandos, hell even his RPG character is a Mando! That being said, he is bloody lucky that he got the disintegration when he did...the next initiative was going to be a beating on him :) LOL! Crits happen as one of our t-shirts say and there really wasn't much else I could do afterwards.

...The nice thing though, I'll get a rematch in a couple weeks!! :mrgreen:

My squad:

Grip and Throw
Vader, Unleashed
Palpy on Throne
Thrawn, Mith
Mas
Raxus Prime Troopers x3
Ugnaughts x4

Round 1 - Faced Bryan from out-of-town (sorry I forget the screen name). He was playing Malak with a couple Vigos with Jarael. Early on I pulled out a Lightsaber throw that killed one Vigo and his Czerta while putting some damage on Malak. After gripping the Vigo, I pretty much controlled the flow of the game from that point.

Round 2 - Faced StrideRe with his GOWK squad. StrideRe remembered this time not to clustered all of his team together where I could devastate him sqaud in a single turn, but forgot to protect all of his pieces and allow me to race across the board and base his Lobot with Vader. I swapped Vader back into the fray of things and had the pleasure of killing his Lobot with my Mas (though it could several tries to actually hit - LOL). In the end, I managed to grip Dash which left Brian needing several crits to kill Vader and take the win. Luck wasn't with him.

Round 3 - Faced Madman with his NR squad featuring Kyle, Kyp, Wedge and a Vigo. Disruptive nearly won the match for Madman, but Kyp couldn't hit Vader and was quickly killed. I eventually wore Kyle down and managed to pull out a convincing win, but it could have been completely different.

Round 4 - Faced Matt from out-of-town who ran Lord Vader B&B. I honestly didn't think I was going to win, but managed to kill his Lord Vader at the end. I think both Paply and my Vader has 10 hit points left and the end of the game.

Round 5 - Faced James with his Fett, BH squad as mentioned above. He won't be as lucky next time ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:07 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

(apologies, I have misplaced the link cable to my camera-it'll be fixed tonight)

My squad
Madman's last min choice :lol:
Kyle BM
Kyp
Gen Wedge
TBSV
Luke FS
Dondona
Ugox2
Mse Droid

The Idea was to have a squad that could at least go Toe-to Toe with the Better GOWK players and for sure handle the "Other" builds as well

Round 1 v Squid 89
he ran the new Malak & Sidous holo w/Jarel and Lando DS
This was a good game, I was able to knock out the hologram early(but not soon enough) his squad was a balance of shooters and solid attacking Melee.
I thought it was a pretty even match when the actual "Gaming" started
I made almost all of my evade saves his shooters, but waffled most all of my attacks! In the end, Bob played a better game
0-1

round 2 v AdmiralGreybar
He had a Nice optimized Rebel push Squad; Obi U, Luk HPU, Han smug,R2 w/Scope, Reikan and Dondonna with Juno in disruptive
Right away we were joking about the speed of our play- Les must have too 'caused he seemed to hover quite a bit at this point ;)
Grey however, was a great opponent and we both quickly maneuvered our pieces quickly in the first 2 phases. Grey did a very nice job of keeping me just on the fence line on the Jedi temple map and positioned his Luke and Han for clean up of Obiwan. I totally spaced on his Repulse and he got 4 of my pieces in the blast killing my door control; I even failed my activation saves as well! The next round however, because of positioning, I was able to assault Obi defeating him with my Kyle and then race in and twin assault Luke for another kill;
his Han failed his shots and a crazy race to stay on top of points ensued!
1-1

round 3 v Lackey
a modified B&B focused on Vaders Grip and throw abilities with the throned Palpy and the New Thrawn granting Opp.
I always enjoy plying Lackey- very little rattles him (including his daughter who had an upset tummy) and he is always a gracious player. His build actually had me beat on activations. I did my best to subvert his CE's with Kyle, but when you stick your Vigo out in the open... well you get the idea... :roll:
There came a close moment when I managed to trap his Vader and prevent him from swapping and blocked both Palpys CE and Thrawns but I spaced again on my teams abilities, for some reason I opted to Twin assault with Kyp (who needed 13's) rather than take the auto damage of the FP5- I would have lost Kyp but Vader would have been limping, and Kyle could have done clean up-
oh well
Lackey whittled down my squad...
1-2

round 3 v Grand Admiral Boris
he ran a ‘Classic’ GOWK squad with Dash and the JWM
A bizarre game to be sure for me, I‘ve never actually faced a skilled player with a GOWK squad!
As the game progressed I baited out his JWM with Wedge so I could position Kyle in for Disruptive- (the JWM defense with GOWK support is just sick!) I took out his JWM shortly there after but with GOWK and Dash I still had plenty to worry about.
Again I goofed on the FP5, and it cost me-
From the beginning I was not sure I was going to win, and after Dash dropped 2 crits in the middle of his firing spree on Kyp- I knew for sure!
A fun chase with Kyle not being able get to anything helped put Boris in the lead on points, a fun game for sure!
3-1

round 5 v Brian Hole
he ran similar squad to Squid89; Malak, jarel, Sidous holo and 2 vigos with Lobot bringing in activations(Czerka, ugo and MSE droids)

This was indeed a slower game, Bryan took careful precautions to make sure he paced out his maneuvers. He played the Death star map and started on the far side of the hanger bay locking Lobot and Sidous in the room next door, using the MSE droids to convey the CE’s
Seeing him go the exact opposite way of my team, and losing my MSE droid early on, I opted to Split my forces. Wedge and the Vigo went up via the tractor beam bridge and took pot shopts at his pieces and managed a few key shots on his Malak while Kyle and the haunted Kyp moved up throught the Med Center spaces picking off his door control, forcing his pieces to constantly have to reopen doors
In the end I was finally able to use the FP5 and kill his Jarel with relative ease and Kyle had little issue with Malak. I took a crazy chance to rush Kyp up and assault the vigos (rather than the Czerka, which nearly cost me! Time was called.
3-2

I made 12th overall

Last edited by The Madman on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:15 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I rolled a total of SIX 1's with GOWK, including attacks and saves, and even in the case of Mettle (which I had to actually ask a judge if I needed a negative number to hit if a 1 still missed as that has never been an issue before

2. Round 2, my opponent had Rebel Commandos with Leia Hoth Commander and made 75% of his Leia saves.

See Dennis, it's not the Vassal dice.

It's just you :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:05 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

And me. I think my total number of 1's for the CO tourney was somewhere in the vicinity of 15, including 3 straight misses with Cade BH... when I needed 2's :P.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:32 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It was an awesome day, that's for sure. I'm sad to say that we only had one problem the whole day, and I actually started it. :lol: But I think I managed to apologize to everyone involved, and by the end of the day, I think everybody was OK. I just got more upset than I should have at losing to James, and projected my anger onto him, when he played a flawless game and I made several key errors.

With 20 people total, it was a great crowd, and I had a blast meeting some new faces from all over. Hopefully we'll get to see a lot of you again at GenCon, or at one of the other Regionals!

Here's my blow-by-blow report. :)

I played the squad I've been running lately:

GOWK
Dash
Lobot
JWM
R2-Astromech
Caamasi

My map of choice for the day was Bespin.

First game was against Justin from IN, who was running the Rebel Commando/Leia HC build that Boris lost to in Round 2. He had a solid build, including Rieekan 2 or 3 Elites, a Pathfinder, and a Vet RC as well. We played on his Ruined Base map, and he did a great job of positioning with his Pathfinder to use his ability to the utmost potential. He took the outside, but due to his lack of movement breakers, I nabbed first round gambit, and so the game of cat and mouse ensued. In the 2nd round I decided to take a bit of a gamble and opened the center door, taking Opporutnist shots with Dash (he had no Dodonna, which helped Dash actually get to use Opportunist some) on an ERC that had already activated. I managed to land a crit and another hit, and he miraculously failed both evade saves. But as fate would have it, he immediately rolled for Leia HC's effect and made the save! ARG! I then tried to kill an Ugo with Dash's Double, made the hit, the evade failed and....he made the Leia save AGAIN! Grr! Two kills stolen right off the bat, lol. At that point I decided, screw that, lol. GOWK ran his 12 squares w/ 2 FPs, based Leia, and hit her once. He won the next init, but it didn't matter much. GOWK finished off Leia, giving me the ability to kill people for good, lol. The game ended up being super close at the end. I tried to use the JWM for some interference to give Dash space just to sit back and shoot, but he brought Crix up, hid him well in one of the rooms, and Disrupted my JWM. Then he rolled well enough to take him down eventually. I made a critical Evade save with Dash in the very last round to keep him alive with only 10 HP remaining, and between Dash and GOWK was able to take down a total of 4 of the various Commandos before time was called, and so I stayed on top. I think even if Dash had been killed, I still would've ended up ahead, as I had a 2-3 round Gambit advantage as well. Lobo 1-0

2nd round was a seriously tough match, but it was blast as well! Played against Jason, aka DarkJedi21, who had Luke's SS, Han Smuggler, Rieekan, Dodonna, Princess Leia, Bothan Noble, R2 w/ ES, 2 Mouse Droids and an Ugo. We played on my Bespin map, and I ended up out on the platform side. First round I tow cabled GOWK up enough to run him inside the Office Suite area and into Gambit. Jason moved the SS down to the end of the hall way, ending adjacent to the door, and then used Leia and the Bothan's CEs to unload on GOWK. He missed 1 shot, and I made the SSM on the others, avoiding 70 damage. The next round, Jason made a gutsy move, coming out onto the platform to try and pick off R2. I had wisely brought in a Human BG with my Reinforcements this game though, and I think Jason had forgot about that, so it left R2 with 10 HP, and the BG with 20 still. I made an Assault with the JWM and based and shot with Dash, bringing the SS down to 40 HP. The next round, he won init, and ran the Speeder a bit deeper into my territory, which at first seems dumb, but it allowed him to base an eliminate my Lobot. Doh! And stupid me, I'd set up the previous round without either my JWM or Dash adjacent to R2 anymore, lol. Dash moved out and took his 4 shots at the speeder, but he either Evaded them, or I missed. I was close enough that GOWK could run 12 squares w/ 2 FPs and hit the Speeder once. Of course though, Jason won the next init as well, lol, and ran the Speeder the full 32 squares and back into the central hallway. At this point, I'd been wise enough to set myself back up for a Tow Cable this time, and I was able to move the JWM so that I could move 6 squres and base the speeder. I left the JWM unactivated for a while though, trying to keep him from getting pummeled by Han, which worked to my advantage. Jason ended up using Han's attack to kill the BG, and then used either Leia or the Bothan's CE on the Speeder to shoot at the JWM, doing 20 damage. When I finally activated the JWM, I had to take an AoO from Han to get to the Speeder, but it was worth it, especially since Han missed the attack (I think). I spent the FP for Assault hoping to kill the Speeder on the first swing then kill Han on the 2nd (Dash had put 60 on Han earlier in the round thanks to failed Evades), but I missed the first swing on the Speeder. Luckily, I hit the 2nd swing, and then I won the next init. Han died at that point and sealed the game in my favor. Funniest things happened after this point, as Leia rolled back-to-back criticals on the JWM, I deflected one, and the 2nd one left me at 10 HP. Was a great ending to well played game by Jason, Lobo 2-0

Third round was the infamous loss to James, lol. We played on my Bespin map, and again, I set up on the platform. I chose 2 Grans, 2 Mouse Droids, and 2 Ugos for reinforcements, to try and keep the activations even. He won the first init, and made me go first. And me being the idiot that I am, just moved an Ugo, instead of getting R2 into a safe square. James took the risk, tow cabled his Boba out, and took his 2 shots eliminating my R2. First mistake! At that point, I knew it'd be an uphill battle, and was kicking myself for not just going with the Bodyguard for Reinforcements this time. Dash managed to put 40 on Boba that round due to failed Evades which was nice, but not enough. We advanced over the next two rounds, James utilizing the Conference Room and the hallway right above the Medical Station. He managed to set up a quad with Rex on my JWM, and landed all 4 shots, though I deflected one. At the end of round 3, I used Lobot to open one of the doors, and ran my JWM 8 squares to put 20 on Rex. I won the next init, luckily, and the JWM put 40 more on Rex before dying. This was where I made my 2nd mistake though. I chose to activate Dash to take out fodder pieces (couldn't get LOS on either Boba or Dash), instead of tucking my Lobot back into hiding, and so James picked off Lobot with Boba quite easily. So by now, he had double-door control, and I only had 1 Ugo left, I think, and he basically holed himself up in the Medical Station with doors on both sides locked. I tried to work my Ugo over towards those doors, but James won an init, or forked me at one point, and I ended up losing the Ugo. The game ended with a score of 73 to 77 (I killed only his Czerka that counted for points, and racked up 12 rounds of gambit). I'm realizing now that I should've chased down his two spare Mouse Droids, and that would've given me the lead as well. I just made entirely too many mistakes in order to make a comeback in this game. Lobo 2-1

Fourth round was against Trace, aka MandaloreTheEdible on the WOTC forums. He was running a Rebel Commando variant as well, with Dodonna, Crix, Pathfinder, 3 ERCs, RCSL, Lobot CLO, Wicket, and Luke RC. We played on his Muunilist Commerce Plaza map. I decided to bring in a Gran, an Ugo, and a Jawa Scavenger to use against his Lobot or Wicket if the opportunity arose. First round was a lot of positioning. He managed to pull off a nice 2-activation move in round 2 where he opened a door, and then moved up an ERC to take a Twin/Cunning shot on Dash, and I failed both my Evades, leaving Dash with only 10 HP, lol. I immediately tow cabled GOWK over and hit that ERC for 40. Trace spent a good amount of time the rest of that round positioning pieces to take potshots at R2 or Dash (who were both hiding behind Dash at this point). He did manage to finally pick off R2, though Dash managed to survive the next 2 rounds thanks to either missed shots or saved Evades. GOWK finished off that ERC, and then things got crazy near the middle. Luke ended up going toe to toe with my JWM, and he made a couple of Djem So saves, but couldn't get the damage to stick, and thus Luke died with only putting 30 on the JWM due to his first Cunning strike, and thanks to the help of a near by Wicket (who died shortly thereafter, lol). Trace used an ERC at one point to try and put another Twin/Cunning on the JWM, but he either missed both shots, or I deflected one, and then Dash moved out and pasted the ERC. I did manage to pick off Lobot with the Jawa at one point as well. At that point, Trace conceded, since he was down half his force, and 2 out of 3 of his Twin attackers, plus Luke, and he hadn't managed to even put a dent in GOWK yet. Lobo 3-1

Final game I thought was going to be a tough one, against Matt from Dayton, who was running a Lord Vader B&B build. come to find out though, he actually hadn't been playing for a while, and just got back into the game. He's been out of it long enough that he didn't even know till his first game that day that the init rule had changed. Still though, he was doing well with his squad until his Round 3 match against Lackey, which from the account I heard was still a close match. We played on his Train Station map, and I decided to bring a Duros Scout, a Gran, 2 Mouse Droids, and an Ugo for my Reinforcements. Figured I could use the Accurate for shooting at his Grans, and the activations to help not get pounced on at the end of a round. Since I'd been studying the Train Station map a lot lately (in trying to beat James, as that was his map as well), I felt quite well prepared for this game. First round, I was able to move Dash and find an LOS on both a Stormtrooper and an Ugo, giving me an immediate activation advantage. He swapped Vader up close at the end of the 1st round, and then I moved GOWK 12 to intercept Vader and put 20 on him. I'd rather Vader do Overwhelming/Assault and put a max of 80 on GOWK (not likely) at the beginning of that next round, rather than Sweep/Assault a bunch of my other pieces, including Dash/R2 which were crucial for me. He made a smart move in forcing me to go first that round, but I didn't take the bait, and left GOWK unactivated. He then attacked with Overwhelming/Assault, but only put 40 on GOWK, and then swapped out. I spent time the rest of that round just eliminating fodder. He had moved several pieces into one of the train cars, and I made a tow cable move and an key Override, that allowed my JWM to move up and sweep a Stormie, a Gran, and a Caamasi. The Duros picked off the other Gran, and Dash worked on picking off more fodder. In the next round, Vader ended up adjacent to the JWM, but since I severely out-activated him at this point, Vader did little to no damage. The JWM laid into Vader, as did Dash. Matt made a nice move to Leap and Twin my R2 at this point for a nice moral victory, but Vader was low enough that I simply had to Assault with the JWM to finish him off. So that's how I finished the day 4-1.

For those keeping track of GOWK's progress, I feel like I failed in this tourney, lol. For all the talk about how tough GOWK is to take down, and how you won't see major mistakes being made at big events like GenCon, I felt like an idiot after that game with James, since I made one dumb mistake after another. Although it's still interesting to note that because he was locking himself in a room, and I had GOWK on one side, and Dash on the other, for several rounds, we were playing like 2 minute rounds at that point, lol. So even with the massive mistakes I made, was still a close game. He couldn't really expose himself much, because Rex only had 10 left, and you can bet I would've done anything and everything in order to get to him. I actually had myself set up for a nice Force Push 3 with GOWK at one point as well, but James saw it coming, and blocked me with a Mouse Droid, and then locked the door on me after I killed the MD with Dash. So, I made several errors, and to be honest, James played a FLAWLESS game. He was really on the ball that day. So mad props to him, and again, sorry for blowing up at the end of that game. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:01 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well since I have a little down time I will go into my matches.
My squad
GOWK
Dash RS
JWM
Lobot
Caasami Noble
R2
First match was with little Miss Lacky, Lackys daughter, and it was a mirror match since she had GOWK as well and brought in the same reinforcements which was wicket, 2 uggos and two mice. she won map and choose bespin. I got the platform side. I was not too worried about this match and it was a nice warmup. I had to remind her about her force renewal and the sossoru saves a few times as well . She was 9 and was still learning and I did not go all out on her and wanted her to have some fun. she did not have anyone next to r2 and towards the end of the game I told her that she needs to remember to have someone next to him to be able to tow. She was able to force push GOWK and r2 killing him. I was able to kill lobot and JWM and the very last round before time was call I killed GOWK and that was after she rolled a 1 on my lobot (she had no force left) and had to take a extra attack on him to kill him
Me 1-0

Second match was revenge of Lacky :) I played Lacky next and this game really showed me that I am really not read yet for the high end competition of gencon so I am really glad Lacky won. He won map and choose starship. he had Vader Unleashed, Paply on thrown, new thrawn, 3 raxes, 3 uggos, and mas my reinforcements were wicket 3 uggos and a mouse. I choose the left side i think the side you can get to gambit first without any movement breakers. first round was positioning and were i also made my fist mistake. I would of been able to get line of sight on a uggo and a raxes trooper. I was trying to find the best place to put r2 and have dash blast away. I put r2 in a place i thought her would not get hit but he could not see the door to open it :( Dash was griped once early in the match and so was the JWM. I lost lobot becasue my brain did not work properly. He ran a raxes up and I had a uggo come up and try to hit him but missed and I forget what my second activation was but I did not move lobot away to lock the door becasue it was very apparent that he was going after him. He ened up killing lobot and the final round of the match he griped off dash and won.

Like I said I am glad lacky won becasue it was stressful and he had to tell me to hurry up a little becasue I was taking my time and I was using my line of sight like every minute. I hate playing slow people and I became one of them so it was an eye opener and which another problem was I did not know how to run ageist him with my squad. it was only the second time i played ageist vader. Later lacky was joking and blaming me for his pair down too but i think that would of help him in the long run :)
Me 1-1

3rd match was with Jason from ownsburrow (dark Jedi) and this one was a fun one. I won map choose but he was telling me that he has not won map yet and it was tarris undercity. just for the heck of it I choose his map. once again I made a first round mistake and had r2 in line of sight to be able to shoot at by han. in my head i though I could be able to get a shoot off at him if need be but did not do it right. so i lost r2 early. I was able to take a few pot shoots off at lukes snowspeeder and got it down 60 before he was able to fly it off. then I was able to use lobot to open a door and make a attack on his unactivated r2. I had to use dash so he was only shooting at a 10 and needed 9s. hit 3 missed 1 so dead r2. he retaliated by shooting dash and I missed my evade. at the end I was able to take out the snowspeeder and only had left was a full powered GOWK with a lot of force, lobot, uggo, and caasami. I was in gambit and the caasami was off a bit. I did not think that he could get a shoot off on the caasmi and spinned both the uggo and GOWk. I f I would of moved the uggo or GOWK a little closer he would of not been able to pull off the shot and kill the caasami. he ran reekin up into gambit and won by 1 point.
Me 1-2

4th match was with Max. another young player of ours who is learning but having a great time. he had general windu jareal, planka, and some grains. we both had rancor pit and i won roll so had to use that. he choose the pin side. had a fun time but with GOWK, Dash, and JWM he was not able to last long. Dash was able to take shoots at windu and got him down while the JWM ran up for an assult. mace repostd and hit the JWM back. this game i kept traced of how much GOWK saved and he saved 150 damage from jarel and mace. in the end I had a 10 hp JWM who took out mace and he missed his repost attack and I was chasing a full hp planka around to kill him.

Me 2-2

Last round was with Jedispyder. he had a charging assult squad with han in storm trooper and aqualishes. it was funny becasue before we entered the store he was going through is box looking for reinforcements to use if he rolled a 11 with lobot clo. funny thing is i told him t3 and he said good idea. well first roll of the game was and 11 and guess what he brought in t3 with some more aqualishes. he won map and choose the jedi temple. i set up on the hanger side and we both had double override now. I did not make the same mistake again with his squad and threw obi into the mix of battle. the best part of the match is when jarel ran up to dash and at the beginning of the next round only hitting 2 of the 3 attacks needed to kill dash then dash goes and hit 3 of the 4 and leaves her at 10 hp. I missed again when i based my corrieling pirate up the JWM got both of his attacks parried i believe then GOWK finally got through the parry and killed her. I was able to sweep 2 aqualishes and it was going to mop up after that.

Me 3-2

I had a great time and now for the ironic part of the story. I picked up Trace to play in and he had a super stealth commando squad and is leaning how to play it really well too. He had Lobot CLO in his squad but did not bring and reinforcements in case he rolled an 11. well i was joking with him that since you did not bring it that he would roll and 11 at the first game for init. He was joking back and said yea probably. we got to the store and was looking at the boosters and wondering which one to buy. i said to buy a bounty hunter becasue they are mostly fringe and it would be funny to plop down a huge if you got it. he did not want to spend the money on a huge box so got a imperial entanglement booster and guess what he pulled. Dash RS the ultimate reinforcement so needless to say then he did not roll and 11 for init :D

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:17 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

LoboStele wrote:
It was an awesome day, that's for sure. I'm sad to say that we only had one problem the whole day, and I actually started it. :lol: But I think I managed to apologize to everyone involved, and by the end of the day, I think everybody was OK. I just got more upset than I should have at losing to James, and projected my anger onto him, when he played a flawless game and I made several key errors.

It happens to the best of us so I would not beat yourself up to bad. Let us do it ;) but on top of that and the fact that he beat you 2 other times with that squad probably did not help

as for the GOWK thing as bill said you cannot look at if he placed first or not. I went 3-2 with both losses really close and if i did not lose lobot i might have won and then if i moved my free uggo or GOWK closer to the cassmi he would of not died and I would of won. Borris went 3-2 with 2 close losses. If the leia squad would of not made 3 saves and bought back the troops he could of won. and with your lose if it would of went 1 more round you would of had it with gambit.

On top of that I was talking to boris and about Adrues play group in danville and they quite becasue they got into a fight over GOWK. They thought they would never be good enough with out him were she was telling them he was going to be banned and now she is the only one left with her stuff

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

StriderRe80 wrote:
It happens to the best of us so I would not beat yourself up to bad. Let us do it ;) but on top of that and the fact that he beat you 2 other times with that squad probably did not help

LOL, yeah, I was probably just tired of losing to that stupid squad. Lost once because of a Disintegration (when I was absolutely murdering him otherwise). Then lost due to rolls and time running out (that was like a 4, maybe 5 round game at most that time). Then I beat him pretty soundly on Thursday night, on HIS map. So, after that game, between the various mistakes I'd made and such...it was just....ugh...

I even spotted my mistake with not hiding Lobot as SOON as I ended my turn. And there had been no need to activate Dash as early as I did. Was just already flustered I guess. This was after I'd lost R2, his Rex had hit my JWM on all 4 rolls, he won the key init to block GOWK's Force Push (which would've killed R2, Lobot, Czerka, and put 30 on Rex!)...So, pretty everything had gone wrong up till that point, so I was probably just in like "kill whatever I can get at this point" mode, and didn't even think about protecting Lobot still, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:56 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fool wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I rolled a total of SIX 1's with GOWK, including attacks and saves, and even in the case of Mettle (which I had to actually ask a judge if I needed a negative number to hit if a 1 still missed as that has never been an issue before

2. Round 2, my opponent had Rebel Commandos with Leia Hoth Commander and made 75% of his Leia saves.

See Dennis, it's not the Vassal dice.

It's just you :lol:

Shuddup. :P

@Lobo: Everybody has a bad match-up from time to time and can get angry about it. I guess the only thing that bothered me was the choice of descriptive terms about James' play style with that little girl standing right next to you.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:10 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yep, I know. :(

I'm honestly more ashamed of myself than anything at the moment, as I know that was pretty out of character for me. Again, sorry to all! :(

Funny thing was, in church the next morning, the pastor's sermon was about "Peace" and several things he said were like a knife in the gut because of how I'd acted on Saturday. No matter how much truth there was in what I was saying to James, it was said in the wrong way, and I realize that.

It actually really helped me realize though that I've been taking things way too seriously lately I think. Makes me really look forward to playing some fun squads, and the new set, and trying to re-focus on the FUN of this game. Hopefully I'll be able to keep that other side in check from now on. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:43 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I am glad everyone had a great time at this event. I know that I really enjoyed watching people play and answering questions. Except those KY kept harrassing me to start my day off right :D

Justin who played Borris in round two road down with me and we discussed some of his games. When he told me he made three saves with Liea I was amazed. But when it works it works.

I was watching the game when James nailed Lobo's R2 and thought to my self, why did Lobo set up like that, knowing what he was facing. As I judged I just had to set there and be quite as I watched Lobo sort of self destruct. They went 12 rounds and there was a lot of dancing around at the end, but I watched James play a few other games and I have to credit him to playing that squad very well.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the only disentigration was in the last game on Vader UL.

Fun was had by all or at least i think so. I am almost done with a complete break down of the tournament. I will have it posted by the end of the day.

After the tournaments I came away with some thoughts on GOWK. One GOWK team went 1-4 with that win being a bye. I know she was young and not used to the squad, but wasn't one arguement that GOWK automatically makes a poor player good and very good players would be anbeatable? Granted some GOWK rolls were bad, while the opponents were good. Also GOWK faced GOWK in the first round. I did some quick math that day and I think that there was only a 3% chance of that happening.

So overall a good day. I wish I could make it to KY to play. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:46 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag5f9b3/n/Cinci_regional_report_pdf Link to complete report.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:56 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LESHIPPY wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the only disentigration was in the last game on Vader UL.

Yep, that's right. We were even standing around before the final round discussing the fact that he hadn't rolled a 20 with Boba all day yet, and that it probably meant Lackey was going to eat one. It's a shame that it happened on Vader though. Disintegrating just about any of the other pieces on Lackey's squad would've still left him with at least some chance of pulling off a win. Losing Vader was just too much to overcome though.

I was honestly surprised he didn't Disintegrate something in the game against me. Everything else was going against me that game. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:03 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

StriderRe80 wrote:
as for the GOWK thing as bill said you cannot look at if he placed first or not. I went 3-2 with both losses really close and if i did not lose lobot i might have won and then if i moved my free uggo or GOWK closer to the cassmi he would of not died and I would of won. Borris went 3-2 with 2 close losses. If the leia squad would of not made 3 saves and bought back the troops he could of won. and with your lose if it would of went 1 more round you would of had it with gambit.

That's alot of "ifs" in there. Hindsite is always 20/20. The fact is the dice rolls helped out some. Other's had mental hicups. Both happen and both will happen again. We only went 5 rounds add three more rounds on there and one could argure the probabilty would even things out. However there is a chance that it stays the same. I know people tend to lean toward the sure thing, but sometimes it just doesn't work that way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LESHIPPY wrote:
I am glad everyone had a great time at this event. I know that I really enjoyed watching people play and answering questions. Except those KY kept harrassing me to start my day off right :D

We just wanted to make sure you were earning your keep. :)

Quote:
Justin who played Borris in round two road down with me and we discussed some of his games. When he told me he made three saves with Liea I was amazed. But when it works it works.

Yep, that's right. I thought about the game after it was over to see if I did something wrong, and really the only mistake I made was I couldn't place my finger on what was nagging me about the Twilek Scout (the piece with Rangefinder.) I wasn't very familiar with Rebel Commando figs, but I understood the gist of what the squad did. I had moved my bodyguard up to take a +7 shot at the Scout, but didn't when he pointed out the piece had Stealth. I was more than 6 away, and in my mind Stealth = Superstealth because of the Strike Team Leader. It didn't occur to me that I just needed to get within 6 to do him in. The only other thing I might have done differently would have been to tow GOWK around instead of the JWM.

Really I felt like given the circumstances I made the right decisions just about every game, including the one against Justin. I forced him to come after the JWM and its amazing 27 defense. I kept it in cover as much as possible, and despite REALLY wanting to kill Crix Madine, he was positioned in such a way that to do so would have meant not having any cover, and would have left me too exposed. The dice rolls for the Leia saves were the biggest factor. Kudos to Justin for putting that piece in there. Most people I know (me included) would have just gone for more commandos instead.

I remember after he made that first save with an ERC, I thought, "Okay, good that is done. Now we can get down to business." Then he made the second save with another ERC (or maybe a Veteran Commando), and I thought, "Wow, 2 for 2 - okay well I'm still okay."

Then came the third save, and I cringed as his Twilek Scout dropped back to the starting area. I remember actually being scared about attacking and killing that 4th piece. My heart skipped a beat when that 15 came up. He only missed the roll by 1.

I don't think I'd ever been more afraid of a dice roll, not even when facing Boba BH.

I finally chased Leia down with GOWK - probably should have done that from the beginning, but I just didn't really care about her CE as much as it turned out I needed to - and I remember telling Justin, "Sorry man, she is pissing me off," to which we both laughed. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:43 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

LESHIPPY wrote:
StriderRe80 wrote:

That's alot of "ifs" in there. Hindsite is always 20/20. The fact is the dice rolls helped out some. Other's had mental hicups. Both happen and both will happen again. We only went 5 rounds add three more rounds on there and one could argure the probabilty would even things out. However there is a chance that it stays the same. I know people tend to lean toward the sure thing, but sometimes it just doesn't work that way.

yea i know their are a lot of ifs as their are in life. the question is how many of katherns games were close. even thou i was being easy on her i had to be careful becasue i know if i was not i wold get beaten. JWM was almost dead from her dash and obi had 30 on him maybe a little more from her obi. if she had anyone next to r2 and use him to tow i might of been in trouble. would have to ask mike how his game went with her but i know i heard from across the table that she was rolling hot. I am also pertty sure her last match with max had to be close since i beat him with relative ease without trying to hard.

it has been said to beat gowk you have to beat his support. That is what happened with my losses but i did not make it easy and it was my stupidly that made me really lose not the dice.