logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Chicagoland Games (Dice Dojo) midnight release event! 062909
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:46 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Great tourney! Many thanks to Jermey, John and dudes behind the counter for running a smooth tourney. Also to all the guys who showed up and generally make these occasions difficult to miss.

I was only gonna get my two boosters, play a couple of games and then drop as work was set to be a struggle if i stayed but i kept winning, so i stayed like the addict I am.

Stefan and I (Deri) split the top prize, both being undefeated after 4 rounds.

I had
Yoda GM
HK50
Vong guardian
Vong praetorite warrior
Praetorite prest

1st game against Mike on bespin. He had a 7 activation Kyle/corruption squad (2 disciples, kyle, a vong priest, guardian, bounty hunter, youngling).
I got left he started right, i moved into the hallway and he moved into the control room. He lost his Priest early to my HK and the 2 guardians faced off by the door between the control room and the corridor. My vong got scarred by the bounty hunter and put dmg on his guardian as a result. HK and an atarau throw finished him off. the disciples tried to come round the top and get some zaps on HK but ehy were impeded by Yoda who got corrupted. The warrior finised one Disciple while the guardian finished the Youngling and Bounty hunter. Yoda and Kyle got into it doing some dmg to each other before Kyle decided to go after the guardian. The warrior finished the remaining disciple and Kyle gt butchered by the rest of the squad.

2nd Map V tim (timmerb123) on Rancor pit. He chose right. He had Plaguies, Baas, anterian ranger, Deathwatch, 2 peace thugs.
We both made 1st round gambit me with Yoda him with the collaborator. I moved my guardian up and araound to get at his ranger while my other support moved forward. He filtered out from teh top corridor. He took some shots on my Guardian but couldn't touch the 25 d in cover (Yodas CE). He misplaced his Mando and HK smoked him. The vong, Baas and Plagueis got into it with some good early parry saves from both jedi. Both vong got scarred. The warrior attacked Baas after init and got 2 through his parry putting 80 on him. HK finished him. The warrior died to a crit and Plaguis retreated. Soon after HK and the guardian finished him off and Yoda started throwing picking off teh anturian and one collaborator to get a points win.

3rd Faced off against Bill (BillIv15) on Jedi Temple. He had Dark woman, Jensarri, Anturian, Vong warrior, Disciple and Peace brigade. This was easily the toughest match up and i lucked out with the win.
I took the outside and advanced into gambit. He moved up into range. Negotiations ended when the warrior opened the 2nd central door and the guardian put 40 on the Dark woman. The guardian took about 40-50 dmg from a jensaari prescision and the dark woman. Leia crapped out on her throw (setting a trend). Bills warrior and disciple moved up putting pressure on HK and Yoda. Init was a hairy descision but the guardian was close to death so he put 30 on the jensaari (draw fire). Bills warrior put 30 on HK missing one of the two 30 point twin hits that was big. Disciple was misplaced by one square so he couldn't get around yoda's force defence and the lightning was cancelled. Yoda put some dmg on the Warrior and HK tried to kill it but missed the shot. He moved off and ended up with 10hp left with AoO. The rest of it is a bit of a blur as there were a lot of small skirmishes going on. The crux of the story is that with the guardians boosted defence and bad rolls by Bill it survived to finish the Jensari. The Dark woman finished the Guardian. The Anturian finished HK. Yoda got beat on by the warrior taking 60 . He finished off the Vong. With init yoda took a zap leaving him at 60 HP. The warrior took an AoO from teh dark lady, got scarred and beat on leia putting 80 on her. Yoda finished her. Yoda and Warrior then mopped up.
Bills rush was well timed but luck didn't favor. He threatened a large number of my pieces constantly and it was difficult choosing the correct move. Yoda's CE and Bills bad rolls gave the game to me but it could have easily swung in his favor with a few better rolls (didn't need to be much higher either).

4th was against Ethen with a lot of HP on Rancor. He had Kol, 2 sith apprentices, Vong warrior, guardian and a Disciple.
I got left as we both brought Rancor and he won map. HK tagged Kol and one apprentice on the advance, yoda got gripped and razored.
Most of the action then happened around the center in gambit.
Yoda got a 5 man LS thrown off hurting the disciple, an apprentice and one vong. Yoda cancelled a throw but he managed to scar my guardian and that allowed my two vong and HK to finish his guardian. Yoda then took beating from his warrior and Kol leaving him at 40 hp. Hk and the Guardian then managed to finish Kol in a phase (60dmg from vong with banannas attack score +21 for 30 dmg). Warriors engaged and basically killed each other with a hand from an apprentice. An apprentice rushed yoda but got atarued for the kill. After that it was mop up

4-0

Fun times.

Bill convinced me to put the priest in which i wasn't going to do initially and that probably won me the tourney.
The Vong ruled, particulally with Yodas CE and the priest which proved deadly to many force users. Yodas Defence was huge and his throw is tasty when you get atarau on it. Hard to set up without tow but always a threat.
HK is devastating in this format. The 40 dmg opp shots slayed many vong and jedi alike.

I pulled 5 VRs in the 7 packs i got.

Yep, i'm a lucky sumbiatch.

Last edited by fingersandteeth on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Chicagoland Games (Dice Dojo) midnight release event! 062909
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:05 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

5 VRs!?! Awesome. I've opened about 8 packs in the last couple months between the Regionals and other stuff, and not pulled a single VR in any of them! Now I know where they all went. :P

Did anybody play GMLS at your event? Looks like you guys were doing 150. Just curious to see how he did. I know he performed about 50/50 in our little mock event last Thursday.

There's a lot of cool stuff to do with this sealed set. I can't wait till our event on Thursday. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:14 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

He went 1-2 (drop) and 2-2. Ted went 2-2 and said something like, "I guess Luke isn't unbeatable" after his first loss.

Oddly, I think Deri had a much better pull set than Luke, and would have slaughtered a Luke, but I don't think he played either one of them. Both of the Luke's lost to other stuff. Not sure what they lost to though specifically, as I didn't play them or see them played.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:26 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Oh, absolutely. The two Vong + Priest is a BEASTLY combo for sealed with this set. Heck, even if you only had 1 Vong, it'd be worth running the priest in many instances. Two Vong with a good boost vs. GMLS is close to enough to take him down. With Yoda close behind to Force Defense any other shenanigans Luke might try, lol. Yeah, Deri would've had a good run against him.

I thought it was slick how in our event last Thursday, a single Vodo tied up Luke for at least 2 rounds as he made Parry save after Parry save, lol. Luke is a beast, but a little bad luck will really screw things up, haha.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:12 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I had a great time and sealed with this set is definently different with mostly melee pieces.
I decided to run:
Jensaari Defender
Darth Maul, Sith Apprentice
Anakin Solo
Disciple of Ragnos
R4 Droid
Stormtrooper
Youngling

I almost didn't ran a Reborn and Sith Apprentice instead of the Disciple, Stormtrooper, and Youngling, but I think I made the correct desicion.

First Round I played against Stefan on his Taris map. He had Yoda, HK, Thug, Vong Warrior, Battlemaster, and CN Bounty Hunter. I rushed forward with my Jensaarai and Maul. The Jensaarai took fire from the HK and BH. His Battlemaster met the Jensaarai and Maul and his Vong went around to hit my disciple. The Disciple went down, but my youngling scored 20 damage on the Vong (failed armor) on an AoO. The youngling managed to hit the Vong for 10 more. He positioned his yoda 6 away from only one of my pieces and LS threw on my Jensaari and Maul and his Battlemaster. The Jensaarai went down and Maul and the Battlemaster each took 40. Anakin advanced and pushed the BM after Maul attacked. I won the next init and my Youngling critted on the Vong to take it out. He killed Maul and I moved Anakin forward to UtF since Yoda only had 2 FP to take out most of his pieces and my Youngling. He just had the HK and Yoda with only 30 off of each and I had Anakin and the R4. Anakin went down fast and it was over.

Round two I played against a girl whose name I can't remember. She had Vodo, Dark Woman, Imp Sentinel, Exceptional Jedi, and R4. We played on my Death Star map and I started on the right side. I advanced straight to gambit with Jensaarai and Maul and the rest of my pieces stayed near the bottom. She also advanced along the bottom. I took out the R4 with the Jensaarai and Maul moved and attacked the Sentinel. Vodo advanced up but Anakin pushed him back next to the Sentinel so the Disciple could Lightning them both. The jensaarai doubled on the Sentinel before getting pushed away by the EJA. Vodo moved up, but got pushed back by Anakin and lightninged again by the Disciple again. Maul got hit for 80 by a crit from the Sentinel, and responded with a raged Triple. Vodo successfully altered two hits into misses so the Sentinel only took 30. Vodo went down next round with the Sentinel soon after. Her EJA and Dark Woman got hit by Anakin's UTF once my Jensaarai went down. The EJA didn't last much longer and everyone ganged up on the Dark Woman.

Round three was against Gunnar (Darth Malstrom). He had GM Luke, Ossus Guardian, and Reborn. We played on my Death Star map with me starting in the hangar. I advanced like I did before and he moved forward. My youngling put 20 on his Reborn and Jensaarai and Maul went on Luke, he failed the Djem So against Maul and a couple of LS defenses were failed the disciple and Anakin force Luke to defense their force powers and lost his force points. The vong advanced. He won init and killed my youngling with his reborn rather than attacking with Luke. Anakin pushed Luke away and the Disciple lightninged to hit both Luke and the Reborn. Vong moved against Maul and Maul responded with a Raged triple, I crit on the first attack and he failed the armor save. Maul hit the last two to down the Vong Guardian. I UtF with Anakin on Luke and repeated attacks took down the Grand Master.

Round 4 was against Ted on my map again with me in the Hangar. He had GM Luke, Qui-Gon, and two Younglings. I used a similar strategy to drain Luke's force and caught a Youngling with lightning while it was next to Luke. I lost my Youngling which fueled Anakin's UTF and did 30 to Luke and forcing him to spend his two force points to reroll the save. He moved Qui-gon up to Maul, but forgot to Mind trick him. Despite Maul only having 40 HP left, he retreated with his heavily damaged Luke who only had 10 or 20 HP left. Maul raged and tripled on Qui-Gon to defeat him and my stormtrooper got its only kill of the night on his second Youngling. I chased down Luke although I lost Anakin in the process and Maul hit Luke to finish him but was defeated by Luke Djem So.

I ended 3-1 and really enjoyed the time. The R4 was a great piece that really helped out Maul's low attack. I failed nearly all of the Jensaarai's Armor save and the few Deflects I tried, but it still took effort to take down. Maul's two force points usually went to Knight Speed and a rage when I could triple. Anakin stayed back and pushed until he could Unleash which I managed to do every game. The Disciple was a great piece with its two direct damage force powers. GM Luke wasn't too hard to take down, even with only two direct damage characters using their powers nearly every turn to drain his force points. Melee attacks aren't bad because he won't make every Djem So Mastery save and he needs to spend force to stop the damage. His high attack does mean he almost never misses. Push also helped avoid Luke's triple twin.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:49 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I had such a good time with so many good people if it wasn't so far away id be there much more often