logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 2009 Vassal Regional
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:15 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

So, carrying on from the idea tossed around in the Wisconsin report thread...

What would need to pull of a VASSAL regional, where the winner could get a pass to GenCon? Any ideas, logistics, that we would need to be aware of, by inserting a prize worth money into a VASSAL tournament?

Post subject: Re: 2009 Vassal Regional
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:25 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, it should be done quickly, like, before JA comes out (or we would just have to say that all sets up through JA are legal), in order to help make it easily compare to the other Regionals.

One issue might be that every Saturday between now and the release of JA, there are other Regionals going on. So, if people were planning to attend their local one, that could hurt participation in the Vassal tourney.

Otherwise, would basically just have to do it such that people send money either by a check or PayPal to one person, IN ADVANCE, in order to play in the event. Nobody plays if they haven't paid before hand. Would be too much trouble to try and chase people down to get their $10 after the fact when they went 0-5, lol.

Other than that, have to have someone willing to be the T.O. and/or Judge. Not sure if there's anything else really.

Whoever collects the money would be responsible to send said money to the winner.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:28 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

I think it would take some doing, but would be, quite possibly, the most amazing thing to ever occur! If this is something people really would be interested in, I would not mind judging (of course). It would be just plain aweome! (ha ha ha)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:30 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Considering we have already thought about this, and that Jonny and I have already done one on our own, I think it's pretty simple.

Basically, you use a Paypal account, to have people pay (probably best to set a deadline a few hours before to ensure that they actually paid before letting them play).

I suggest a $10 cost. $5 goes to the winner, up til $95 is reached (cost of badge and entry into the championship). The other $5 and any extra go to one of our site sponsors to buy prize support for everyone else. Dean can get us gift certificate type things if we want, but I would probably just keep it simple and use paypal to pay everyone just to make it easier on the TO. Otherwise, you need to deal with shipping and mailing, but that's up to you.

Basically, you would need 20 people in order to have enough to buy the badge, but say you only get 15, well then, you just pay a portion of it. I suspect with enough advertisement and prep time, and a tournament plan for late June you should easily get 20 people willing to participate. Granted you might run into someone's local regional, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal, since the primary audience would be those that haven't already won one, and those without access to one, like those silly Canadians. I would play in it if the date worked out.

Then you need someone to run it, there are a few people who already have done DCI tournies on Vassal, so they can either do it for you, or walk you through it.

That's pretty much it.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:34 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Hrm..

Couple of thoughts

1) Instead of money; have it be a pass to GenCon?

2) If we want to take the money aspect out of it, try to convince WotC/get donations to pick up a GenCon pass, and have no entry fee?

3) We'd want time to publicize it...so why not after JA then? The other regionals will be done, and this will give people a chance to play a regional with JA. We might get a better preview of what GenCon has to offer, as well as having higher participation due to a new set just being released and usable.

4) Split it into two parts, one for US based, one for international (so they aren't up till weird parts of the night)?

5) DCI legal, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:00 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

well i just thinking a 5 dollar mini championship in mid July. it would be like a vassal tournament just starts way earlier and more rounds. I made a thread but i guess this one works.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:25 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

For prize support:

Winner: Clone wars Battle Pack
Runner up #1: Randomness of VR/R from CW
Runner up #2: see above
Runner up #3: CW Starter
Runner UP #4: See above

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:31 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Cybit wrote:
2) If we want to take the money aspect out of it, try to convince WotC/get donations to pick up a GenCon pass, and have no entry fee?

WotC won't be officially associated with VASSAL. It's actually very nice of them to completely look the other way considering how directly it infringes on the copyright.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:33 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Fool wrote:
For prize support:

Steve, are these ideas, or can you make this happen for sure?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:42 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

dvader831 wrote:
Fool wrote:
For prize support:

Steve, are these ideas, or can you make this happen for sure?

The prizes are collecting dust so we have to do SOMETHING with them :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:17 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

billiv15 wrote:
Considering we have already thought about this, and that Jonny and I have already done one on our own, I think it's pretty simple.

Basically, you use a Paypal account, to have people pay (probably best to set a deadline a few hours before to ensure that they actually paid before letting them play).

I suggest a $10 cost. $5 goes to the winner, up til $95 is reached (cost of badge and entry into the championship). The other $5 and any extra go to one of our site sponsors to buy prize support for everyone else. Dean can get us gift certificate type things if we want, but I would probably just keep it simple and use paypal to pay everyone just to make it easier on the TO. Otherwise, you need to deal with shipping and mailing, but that's up to you.

Basically, you would need 20 people in order to have enough to buy the badge, but say you only get 15, well then, you just pay a portion of it. I suspect with enough advertisement and prep time, and a tournament plan for late June you should easily get 20 people willing to participate. Granted you might run into someone's local regional, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal, since the primary audience would be those that haven't already won one, and those without access to one, like those silly Canadians. I would play in it if the date worked out.

Then you need someone to run it, there are a few people who already have done DCI tournies on Vassal, so they can either do it for you, or walk you through it.

That's pretty much it.

I can stand behind this idea. I would also play given the date works out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:18 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

This is soemthing I know I have talked about since we first ran a vassal tourney and it was something I brought up we could do for like the folks in Canada.

I think that we would just buy the Gencon pass in the person's name and have it sent to their address of their choosing.

But yes it could work quite easy.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:24 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I've already paid for my badge and tickets, so it would be a redundant prize for me...not that I'd be expecting to win, of course. :lol:

As I said in the other thread, I'd be interested. Timing would play a factor, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:41 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

i dont care if we do a regional its just that we need to do it before the 27th so that person has there badge before gencon. So thats why i just said in the other thread lets just do a small buy-in tournament in mid july. we can do 10 if you guys want and give a case to first but i just think giving out a gencon badge is going to be hard if they are flying in or coming in late. i guess we could order it before gencon and put a new on it then tell the winner the name that is on the badge. i just dont like the idea of giving out money for a badge or trying to find the winner to give them the money.
another thing is i dont feel like its fair to do a regional with JA since all the other regionals didnt have one. So I am still saying we should do a small buy-in tournament if that goes well we can do that again and do a vassal regional next year.
so kind of big vassal tournament i think will happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:41 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

thereisnotry wrote:
I've already paid for my badge and tickets, so it would be a redundant prize for me...not that I'd be expecting to win, of course. :lol:

As I said in the other thread, I'd be interested. Timing would play a factor, of course.

yes but as a prize you could just take cash for the value of what you paid for your badge

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jonnyb815 wrote:
i dont care if we do a regional its just that we need to do it before the 27th so that person has there badge before gencon. So thats why i just said in the other thread lets just do a small buy-in tournament in mid july. we can do 10 if you guys want and give a case to first but i just think giving out a gencon badge is going to be hard if they are flying in or coming in late. i guess we could order it before gencon and put a new on it then tell the winner the name that is on the badge. i just dont like the idea of giving out money for a badge or trying to find the winner to give them the money.
another thing is i dont feel like its fair to do a regional with JA since all the other regionals didnt have one. So I am still saying we should do a small buy-in tournament if that goes well we can do that again and do a vassal regional next year.
so kind of big vassal tournament i think will happen.

That makes sense what you are saying with the GENCON badge, so why do a buyin at all then? Why not just use the prizes Fool mentioned above for the first one to get all the wrinkles out and when we run out of prizes then move ahead with the buy in idea?

Really, I just want to play GENCON type squads with you guys. (like we've done in previous years) I could care less if there is a prize or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:55 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

dnemiller wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

yes but as a prize you could just take cash for the value of what you paid for your badge

Right. I figured that would probably be the case, but I thought I'd mention it anyway, just to be clear. Once we have a date and time scheduled, I'll sign up (assuming I can play).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:58 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I had a reason but it wasnt a good one. I guess we can just do the prizes that fool said unless you guys got a better idea or just want more prizes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:04 pm 

I see no reason not to do it for a badge and entry into the champ (or money for the price of a badge). WHo gives a crap about giving out actual money? It means nothing, and its not nearly enough of an amount to mean anything for IRS purposes, gambling purposes, etc.

Also, I don't think it matters if we do it pre-JA or post. It doesn't matter one bit what the other regionals did, as this is in no way connected to them. You are worrying about nothing Jonny.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:12 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

billiv15 wrote:
I see no reason not to do it for a badge and entry into the champ (or money for the price of a badge). WHo gives a crap about giving out actual money? It means nothing, and its not nearly enough of an amount to mean anything for IRS purposes, gambling purposes, etc.

Also, I don't think it matters if we do it pre-JA or post. It doesn't matter one bit what the other regionals did, as this is in no way connected to them. You are worrying about nothing Jonny.

Bill, Jonny loves to worry what the hell!! He has too!!!!

SWM DCI Content Manager