logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Any word on the Texas Regional that happened today?
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:45 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Okay headache... Mike I am looking to you to let us know what happened. I have not seen anything anywhere with what happened and what was played. So when you get a chance somebody find out something. I am personally interested in number of players. What was being run (you dont have to be exact just kind of the concepts that showed up) and how the tourney went as well as who won.......

Come on someone

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post subject: Re: Any word on the Texas Regional that happened today?
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:15 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

They had 15 players and atleast one player is going to post a report on bloomilk.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:43 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

yes I am a little shocked I though someone somewhere on any of the boards would have posted.......

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:02 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I think Mike is the guy I spoke too. He mentioned doing a report somewhere and I just requested to see it on bloomilk too.

I am eager to hear how it went aswell. I was surprised that I couldn't find any regular bloomilk users to talk about the event.

Atlanta's has their event saturday. Looking forward to that report aswell. I assume someone will post one : )

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:18 am 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I'm eager to see the squads they played. Here in Cincy we've been practicing only a little bit but are starting to have a theory that everyone is going to play an Anti-GOWK squad and no GOWK squads (or maybe 1-2 of them, lol). So I'm eager to see whether this is the case at other locations as well...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:35 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Quote:
Dallas DCI Regional Tournament Report.

First off, thanks to the great staff at Comic Book Craze in Garland, TX for making the tournament fun and inviting. We had a great turnout and I hope everyone had a great time playing.

I’ll first list off everyone’s squad builds, then overall results, my personal analysis of what turned out, and finally a breakdown of the games I played to the best of my recollection. I hope other people post their game results after mine.

~~~~~~~~Squads~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Disclaimer – everyone got nervous when I said that I was writing down their squads, but then I told them it was for a report and everyone was ok .

*Disclaimer 2 – If I got something wrong, please PM me and I’ll be sure to fix it

Troy: Yoda of Dagobah, Vader’s Apprentice Redeemed, Luke Hoth Pilot Unleashed, Lobot CLO, Rieekan, Uggie, Mouse Droid (MD) x2 (Good ole’ Rebel Push)

Byron: Boba Fett BH, Rieekan, Lobot CLO, Bothan Noble x3, Bespin Guard, Uggie (Machine Gun Boba – he got three Disintegrations in a row in the last game)

Johnny: Lord Vader, Mi’Thrawn, Kel Dor BH x2, Gran Raider x2, Uggie x2, MD x2 (Lord Vader B&B sans Mas)

Bill: Luke’s Landspeeder, Dash Renegade Smuggler, Han Solo Smuggler, Bothan Noble, Gen Dodonna, R2 w/ Extended Sensor, Uggie x2, MDx2 (Nice, well rounded Rebel Landspeeder squad)

Jonathan: Mandalorian Scouts x3, Mandalorian Captain, Mandalorian Gunslinger, Bossk, Lobot CLO (Mando Scout Squad w/ Bossk in tow)

Austin: GOWK, Boba Fett Enforcer, Lando Calrissian Dashing Scoundrel, Dash Rendar RS, MD (GOWK Shooter Squad)

James: Emperor Palpatine on Throne, Twilik Black Sun Vigo x3, Bith Black Sun Vigo, Whipid Tracker x2, Czerka Scientist (Interesting Opportunist Squad)

Jeremy: Mi’Thrawn, Genoharadan Assassin x2, Czerka Scientist, Mas, Dash Rendar RS, Jagged Fel, Death Star Gunner, Uggie x2 (Thrawn Opportunist shooter squad)

Dave: Rebel Vanguard x3, Rieekan, Princess Leia, Boba Fett BH, Human Body Guard, R2 w/ Extended Sensor (an interesting Rebel Missile/BFBH squad)

Frank: Boba Fett BH, Count Dooku of Serenno, San Hill, Uggie x 5 (A “Broken Piece” squad, according to Frank

Timothy: Yoda CS, Boba Fett BH, R2 Astromech, Sev, Mas

Wedge, Todd, and Wade (all identical squads): GOWK, Yoda on Kybuck, Mas, Panaka, R2 Astromech, Gran Raider (GOWK YoBuck Swap Squad)

Mike (Me): Mara Jade Jedi, Kyp Durron, General Wedge Antilles, Lobot CLO, Luke Force Spirit, Gen Dodonna, Wicket, Caamasi Noble, MD, Uggie x2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Results~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After some great matches, here are the final standings:
1st Place: Wedge (GOWK YoBuck)
2nd Place: James (Palpatine on Throne TBSVs)
3rd Place: William (Bill) (Luke’s Landspeeder Rebel Squad)
4th Place: Wade (GOWK YoBuck)
5th Place: Troy (Rebel Push)

It’s notable that all of these guys (if my info is correct) were 3-1 until the finals. Troy just barely missed out on playing in the final two matches.

The rest of the field:

6th: Todd (GOWK YoBuck)
7th: Byron (BFBH Machine Gun Rebels)
8th: Frank (Seps “Broken” BFBH)
9th: Johnny (Opportunist Lord Vader B&B)
10th: Mike (NR Mara Jade Jedi/Kyp squad)
11th: Jonathan (Mando Scout Squad)
12th: Austin (GOWK Shooters)
13th: Timothy (Yoda CS BFBH)
14th: Jeremy (Mi’Thrawn Genos)
15th: David (Rebel Missiles w/ BFBH)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~My Analysis~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was interesting that there were only four GOWK squads, but almost everyone I spoke with indicated in one way or another that they were considering GOWK in their squad build (I almost played GOWK myself, but I don’t have an R2 Astromech but if anyone has one for trade, I’ll give a lot...).

I was happy to see the diversity of squads that showed up – I was expecting at least half of the squads to have GOWK, and after talking with Josh (I hope I got your name right – if not I’m sorry and I’ll fix it!) at Comic Book Craze he said that GOWK has been showing up a lot at his weekly tournaments. He didn’t seem to indicate that they were dominating, but GOWK shows up a lot.

I’m also glad that some of the more diverse (in my opinion) squad builds had a very strong showing – it really indicates the strength of the player and squad that made it.

Honestly, I was so surprised by what I saw that I’m still processing it all. I’m glad that everyone had a good time, but I’m still trying to determine what this means for the DCI tourny scene.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:36 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Quote:
I wish I could give more round-by-round, but my style is more towards headlines. I hope everyone enjoys.

My Round 1:

Me (NR MJJ/Kyp) vs. Frank (Sep BFBH/DoS)
I lost map roll and we played on the Muunilinst Commerce Plaza. I set up low on the starship side and Frank set up north on the opposite side. We jockeyed for position, but I made a mistake and lost Wicket to a shot from BFBH, so Kyp went Savage early. Most of the game we spent with me maneuvering in the lower rooms and Frank maneuvering in the upper rooms with BFBH taking pot shots when he could (I made a lot of positioning mistakes). Second to last round I just threw caution to the wind and started to rush the center, and once time was called I wasn't able to get to his squad to kill enough figures to help. We went to time and Frank won by points.

My Round 2:
Me vs Jonathan (Mando Scouts)
I lost map roll again so we played on the Throne Room map. I set up on the right side, Jonathan in the hallway on the left. First round was maneuvering, me into the throne room and him moving quickly down the hall. I won initiative the second round and was able to take a few shots on an out-of-cover Scout with Mara Jade. I ended up advancing my Camaasi and Luke Spirit into Gambit while taking shots at the figures I could. Kyp was able to take out a Scout with a LS Assault, and MJJ advanced and was able to take out another Scout and the Captain, but not before the Captain managed to kill my Uggie and Camassi with Grenades. It was a fun match - I really like Mando Squads.

More to come:

Quote:
We had 17 people show up to the North Texas (Dallas area) Regional Tournament yesterday. There were several faces I was shocked not to see (Darth Solo, Broodwarjc and others), and a few faces I don't recall seeing before.

Headache62 is going to be doing a write up of the whole tournament, but I wanted to share my journey to "almost there".

My squad consisted of:
Luke, Hoth Pilot Unleashed
Vader's Apprentice Redeemed
Yoda of Dagobah (I let him give an extra FP to VAR)
General Rieekan
Lobot, Computer Liason Officer
Ugnaught Demolitionist
Mouse Droid x2

I brought the Throne Room Map (hoping for as little cover as possible for stealths).

My thought was to do some mobile pushing against GOWK, and hopefully no one would bring Vong.

When the pairings started up, there were only three people I didn't want to play. Headache62 (we play each other fairly often), Frank (he's good) and Wedge (the #1 in the state).

Sure enough, Round 1 - vs. Wedge

Wedge played (from memory): GOWK, Yobuck, Doombot, Panaka, Mas and Gran Raider.

We played on my map and he chose the non-throne side.

The game went much better than anticipated. With 10 minutes left he had killed an ugnaught, I had killed his gran and got reserves (IG-86, Mouse Droid and two Caamasi) and we were tied with gambit points. Also things in my favor, Yoda was at half health and GOWK was had 40HP left. Unfortunate for me, VAR was half dead and Luke was almost dead. About 5 minutes before time was called Luke got killed (stupid 80HP) and his squad was no where in 'sight' for me to push anyone else for a kill.

Round 1 Loss (0-1) (Even though this was a loss, it was a victory for me inside. I went against the best player in the state and it went to time, and I only lost 2 pieces)

Round 2 - vs. Tim

He played (from memory so I could be wrong. Headache62 took notes): CS Yoda, BobaBH, Doombot, Mas and Sev

We played on his map (ROTS Starter), and I chose the power core (or whatever the side without the conference room is).

I was able to move up early and get into Gambit without issue. My first kill was a push on Doombot, after he towed Boba. He got off some shots with Boba that I was able to evade. Thankfullly, no "Big D". Boba got pushed to death and Yoda ended up going Toe to Toe with VAR, taking a lot of damage and using a lot of Force for Rerolls. I was able to eventually kill Yoda. After Yoda went down He conceded the game, believing that he could not win with Mas and Sev.

Round Two Win (1-1)

Round 3 - Forgot the guy's name (sorry dude!)

He played: GOWK, LandoDS, Boba Enforcer, Dash Rendar Renegade Smuggler, Mouse droid and 8 more points of something I can't recall (sorry again dude!)

We played on my map and he chose the Throne side. I was able to get up into gambit quickly, and locked the outer door. By the time he got all of his guys into the throne room, about to open the inner door, I let the outer door open and locked the inner one. This bought me more time in gambit and time to save up lots of Force Points on Yoda, VAR and Luke. I positioned by pushers in the hall room with the door adjacent to the control room, to block any advancement toward gambit. Anybody I could see, I would push. Making him have to move 6 to be able to see me, evading the attack (or hoping the missles don't hit) then mobile pushing them back. The whole game I was collecting Gambit points, but eventually push killed everyone.

Round 3 - Win (2-1)

Round 4 - vs. Todd

Todd played: GOWK, Yobuck, Doombot, Panaka, Mas and Gran Raider.

We played on his Map (ROTS Starter) and I chose the power core side again.

I was able to run up into gambit quickly again. He toted folks around with R2. A lot of the game was a blur. I remember him galloping with Yobuck, attacking my Ugnaught, Mouse and Yoda, then stopped adjacent to Luke. He didn't attack Luke, for whatever reason forgetting to attack him with galloping or the regular attack. I rolled 11 and pulled some reserves (IG-86, Mouse Droid and two Caamasi again), which really helped. After push-killing Obi (late in the game). IG-86 got a huge Opportunist Crit (my only Crit of the day) on Panaka. A little later on badly wounded Yobuck came after VAR (Luke and his stupid 80HP was already dead), bringing him to an open spot, allowing my IG-86 to come around and finish him with his Opportunist. In this game the reserves really helped.

Game 4 - Win (3-1)

And thus ends my tale of the regionals. There were 5 players who finished 3-1, and the top 4 had a play off to determine the winner. I was the 5th 3-1, thus the Odd Man Out.

Moral of the story: If you're going to lose a game, do it late in the tournament and not the first round. If you lose the first round, then your strength of schedule is going to suck.

I'll let Headache62 fill everyone in on the whole goings ons, the placings and the correct squads

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY