logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Should General Obi be Banned?
yes 45%  45%  [ 55 ]
no 45%  45%  [ 54 ]
not decided 10%  10%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 121

Post subject: Re: Ban GOWK or not? A simple poll
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:06 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Draconarius wrote:
LukeHatesThrawn wrote:
I agree with the Truth now, The truth that GOWK is broken. Maybe GaW will do something about it.

I'm sorry to use your post like this, LHT, nothing personal. I just wish to make the opposing argument. I've heard a lot of people say that we should "wait for JA and GaW, it'll fix things!". My question is this: when does this argument stop? If JA doesn't fix the problem, a lot of people say wait for GaW. If GaW doesn't fix the problem, I'm 100% certain they'll say wait for Dark Times. If Dark Times doesn't fix the problem, they'll say wait for the next set.

At what point do we admit that we have a broken piece and decide to do something about it?

Quote:
If WotC is going to make a mini, they shouldn't ban it. because then it's a waste and they could have used the slot for somebody else.

Again, LHT, just making the counter-argument. Not picking on you in any way.

WotC doesn't make broken minis on purpose. It would be stupid for them to do so, because then their product wouldn't sell as well because everyone will use the broken piece/card/unit/whatever and buy nothing else, others will quit the game after becoming bored, and others will be scared from joining the game after seeing the same decks/squads played again and again. However, the playtesting can't be perfect. Game design and playtesting are handled by humans, so there'll be a mistake sooner or later. It's unfortunate, but in collectable games it's a fact of life. I'd rather continue the game less one broken piece than lose the entire game (personally or altogether).

On the first if they don't ban him before GaW than I'll hope that GaW can do something, if GaW does nothing against GOWK than I would pray for a ban. If it gets past Gaw, I will not look to tDT for something. on the Second It all comes down to the first point. If they made a piece/pieces that counter GWOK then there would be no reason to ban him. but if Nothing is in WotC plans of making minis to counter GWOK......BAN GOWK!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

LukeHatesThrawn wrote:

If they made a piece/pieces that counter GWOK then there would be no reason to ban him. but if Nothing is in WotC plans of making minis to counter GWOK......BAN GOWK!!!

Call me crazy, but I am pretty sure Rob's counter to GOWK came in the box with him. :P

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Boba52 wrote:
LukeHatesThrawn wrote:

If they made a piece/pieces that counter GWOK then there would be no reason to ban him. but if Nothing is in WotC plans of making minis to counter GWOK......BAN GOWK!!!

Call me crazy, but I am pretty sure Rob's counter to GOWK came in the box with him. :P

Cool. Bring that to GenCon. I'll bring my GOWK squad. :P

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:39 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

You know, I wonder what would have happened had they not screwed up holo-sid, and given him affinity separatist.

Think all this would have been avoided?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:49 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Cybit wrote:
You know, I wonder what would have happened had they not screwed up holo-sid, and given him affinity separatist.

Think all this would have been avoided?

Even with force regen on Dooku he will still get shot to shreds

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:32 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It certainly would've made at least a little difference. The trouble is though, there really aren't any great Sep pieces that can stand up against the Rex/Dash combo. Neither Dooku or Serreno or Aurra JH have any anti-non-melee abilities. You'd be relying completely on their high defenses. And unfortunately, DoS has one purpose: stop GOWK. He's not terribly good at doing anything besides that. Having extra FPs definitely would've helped, and it probably would make a nice difference for Aurra as well, but you'd still end up with trouble getting shot up too fast. You'd have to use something like DoS, Aurra, Holo-Sid, and then some other solid shooter, preferably something with Accurate. Tough to do that in 150 points.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:13 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Boba52 wrote:
dnemiller wrote:
A floor rules update is just around the corner actually.

Wow, I would say that is BIG news! Is "around the corner" before Gencon or are we playing the -Nickname and Dean are done submitting the changes and waiting for DCI to approve and announce- game?

I believe WotC said they would support 2x a year updates of the document so we estimated January/July. It remains to be seen if they will follow through.

Dean may have other ideas, but I don't currently see any required changes other than the possible banning of GOWK. (I'm still undecided BTW, but as long as we get solid regionals data like the texas data, should be easy enough to see if it meets the WotC standard for banning.)

So there's regionals data to look at, and a map pack coming in June that we'll want to look into adding to the maps list, and the slight possibility that something unrevealed in JA is a massive upheaval to GOWK dominance and that's about it. (Oh, and I still don't care for some of the open gambit maps on the map list but no one else seems to be with me there so I won't push that agenda this time.) Should all be wrapped up by the end of June for WotC approval/posting.

Then we see if they come through for us. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:45 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

LoboStele wrote:
It certainly would've made at least a little difference. The trouble is though, there really aren't any great Sep pieces that can stand up against the Rex/Dash combo. Neither Dooku or Serreno or Aurra JH have any anti-non-melee abilities. You'd be relying completely on their high defenses. And unfortunately, DoS has one purpose: stop GOWK. He's not terribly good at doing anything besides that. Having extra FPs definitely would've helped, and it probably would make a nice difference for Aurra as well, but you'd still end up with trouble getting shot up too fast. You'd have to use something like DoS, Aurra, Holo-Sid, and then some other solid shooter, preferably something with Accurate. Tough to do that in 150 points.

Isn't holo-sid Sith though.....

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:50 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Fool wrote:
LoboStele wrote:

Isn't holo-sid Sith though.....

Yeah he's JUST sith, they meant if he was seps.

Slowly digesting the competition, one game at a time...brrrrp!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:59 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I was responding to the couple posts above that were they were talking about whether Dooku of Serreno would've been better if he had access to Holo-Sidious and his CE for Renewal.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:49 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

ok I gotta ask it.

Do people not read or just don't get the game?

I know Gowk has been discussed so much that if people would just read they would understand what his problems are. But it seems that no one manages to do this and they keep getting surprised by Gowk.

I was reading on Wizos Rules Forums and saw where some people who think Gowk is fine have discovered that Mettle Stacks and yes even after being force defensed. This is a major shock to them. What have we not covered when talking???

Yes we have. Soemtimes I am just floored. Slowly it seems the wheels are turning and people are finally starting to see what a pain he is.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:01 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

NickName wrote:
(Oh, and I still don't care for some of the open gambit maps on the map list but no one else seems to be with me there so I won't push that agenda this time.)

I'm with you man. I hate open Gambit. It makes for a boring game in which only 3 dice rolls matter. The first init, the last init, and the attack roll that kills (or misses) one 3-5 pt. piece FTW.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:39 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

GOWK solves that problem quite nicely. Pick yer poison... :P

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:43 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Wait I just thought of something. Naga Sadow Has Virulent Poison. +20 Damage to Living enemies, save 16. It might be something to prove a problem for GOWK, but that would need playtested.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:02 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

N/M SSM says (When hit by an attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11).

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:39 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Okay,

I've read about half the posts and I've been mostly gone for a few months, but I'd like to put my two cents worth in. Please forgive me if I repeat what someone else has said.

I don't think anybody wants to ban SSM. It's a cool ability that helps to counter all the Mobile Quad shooters out there.

The problem seems to be more that SSM was given to a guy that also has Mettle, FR1 and MotF2 and an absolutely wonderful CE. Which means that the problem is more about how powerful Obi-Wan makes his support, not the SSM in and of itself. Am I correct in this assumption?

If so, then I think that perhaps the best course of action would be to ban GOWK, but also to make other figures that don't have Mettle or FR1 and MotF2, but do have SSM. I'd hate to see a piece banned, but I'd hate even more for less and less people to play the game, IF that's what would happen.

BTW, I was going to vote no until I saw that Lady HOthie voted yes.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:22 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

NickName wrote:
GOWK solves that problem quite nicely. Pick yer poison... :P

Actually the worst games on open gambit (meaning the most boring) have been with GOWK.

Of course, that was when SSM was only for melee, but still...

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:40 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

dnemiller wrote:
ok I gotta ask it.

I know Gowk has been discussed so much that if people would just read they would understand what his problems are. But it seems that no one manages to do this and they keep getting surprised by Gowk.

I was reading on Wizos Rules Forums and saw where some people who think Gowk is fine have discovered that Mettle Stacks and yes even after being force defensed. This is a major shock to them. What have we not covered when talking???

Yes we have. Soemtimes I am just floored. Slowly it seems the wheels are turning and people are finally starting to see what a pain he is.

I don't know who posted, but maybe the game doesn't consume their lives like it does with some of us. I feel that many people on these boards as well as the WOTC board fail to realize this.

I would also think it would be very interesting to see if you did the same poll with Boba BH what the results would be.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:48 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

dnemiller wrote:
ok I gotta ask it.

Here is what I think on this. People don't play it only once a week and did not play with the errata in mind. I did not know about the stacking until I was on vassel and playing with Luke Skywalker and he had Loda. Bill chimed in and said he thinks it does stack. After that game I did ask about it on wizos and got my answer.

you said it yourself you talk to bill and play matches over the phone in your head. I am a geek but I think that make you a mega geek ;) You really did your research and I think it was actually you bill and dennis that were on the side of ban. Now look at it it is almost reversed. It is going to take something for them to see it clicked in their head that something is wrong. It unfortunately might now be awhile till they do see it but he does suck the fun out of the game and when that happens it does need to be banned. My girlfriend is the same way. I tell her something over and over and she does not get it and I try to explaing it many ways in diffrent ways and it is not until someone else says it it finally clicks and she says "hey now i get it oh shut up B"

My fear now is when he is banned their are still going to be the people who says he is not broken and try to get wizos to pressure to bring him back into legal dci play and try to reverse the decision. I hope that does not happen and that it is not possible

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:57 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

StriderRe80 wrote:
My fear now is when he is banned their are still going to be the people who says he is not broken and try to get wizos to pressure to bring him back into legal dci play and try to reverse the decision. I hope that does not happen and that it is not possible

It's my hope that the first question to such people from WotC is, "Do you play DCI?"

If the answer is no, the conversation should go no further.

People who don't play DCI have ZERO stake in what happens in that venue, and have no business dictating what they want to happen. There are Magic cards that are banned but I still use them in friendly games. I don't abuse those cards in the way that got them banned, either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next