Mark forums read

Post subject: Sarah Richey announcement for SWM Organized Play in 2009
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1157773

Sarah Richey wrote:
Hi All,

After months of planning, I’m excited to finally announce the details of our “TBD Initiative” for Star Wars organized play in 2009. It is my pleasure to name Jim Fraser, aka Moses2813, as our lead community liaison! Jim is a long-time player and organizer of SWM, not to mention an avid Star Wars fan. We look forward to a great partnership with him in the coming year and beyond.

What does this mean for you?

1. Star Wars Miniatures gaming at conventions across US throughout 2009! Jim will be working with WOTC convention support to identify opportunities to have scheduled events at conventions that will be well managed.

2. A championship season leading up to GENCON - exciting details coming soon!!

3. SWM gaming at YOUR local conventions and gatherings! Notify Jim about your local gaming event and he will help add this to our official calendar of events. Prize support may be available as well.

4. Awesome gaming support from a true fan of the game! We will be working closely with Jim to identify unique gaming opportunities and new methods to further support SWM gaming.

Per standard practice, Wizards will maintain sanctioning, reporting and ratings for all SWM events. We’ll also continue to post floor rules (updated bi-yearly) and FAQ sheets for each event.

A calendar of 2009 OP events will be located on our website and updated per Jim’s activity. As manager of the premier tournament structure system, Jim will handle all invitations and associated prizes.

In addition to the planned convention schedule, we will be working closely with Jim to support further in-store play and programs geared towards new player teaching and acquisition. More on this effort to come…

Thank so much for your continued support and patience. Looking forward to great SWM gaming in 2009!

Sarah Richey & Reid Schmadeka

Post subject: Re: Sarah Richey announcement for SWM Organized Play in 2009
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moses2813 wrote:
First of all, this is not about me at all. This is “our” game of choice and I certainly plan on listening very carefully to all ideas for the development of Organized Play.

First off, we will be having the US National Championships at GenCon this year. In addition, we will be very quickly be announcing some regional competitions that will afford the winner a GenCon badge and a ticket to the Championship event as the main prize. Please note that the Championship will remain an open event and we are hopeful that the Championship will draw a big field of players. There will be a thread outlining the events at GenCon very soon. We are also working on prize support for the Championship event as well.

As for other conventions, we are going to work with interested players that want to take a leadership role at conventions to work with me to promote events at these conventions. Some conventions are WOTC attended, and for those, we want to work with the WOTC individual that is in charge for that convention. At WOTC non attended conventions, we will work together to promote the events that you would like to run. We are going to do everything we can to support your efforts to promote and manage Star Wars Miniature events.

Please understand that I will be doing my very best for all of us. I will walk into a few walls and more than likely make a few mistakes. Hang in there with me and we will begin the journey together to develop really positive gaming programs that will make sense for all players that enjoy the game.

Finally, I have been afforded this opportunity by Sarah and Reid due primarily due to success at GenCon events over the past three years. During that time I have had numerous ideas from players from all over the country that has been instrumental to that success. In addition, I have bounced many things off Dennis Beard (Boris the Dwarf) and he has really been key in watching my back on issues that will effect gameplay during tournaments as well as developing events such as the AT/AT Hoth battle.

Time to get busy organizing.

Very nicely done.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:14 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Cool!! Kind of disappoitned that she didn't actually address the fact that there have been no League Kits lately. But nice to see the announcement none-the-less. I look forward to what happens this year! Looks like it's going to be fun!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:39 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Good to finally see it posted.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:35 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I might have missed it, but is this what Dean was referring to when he said we needed to update our Rules Advisor status?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:33 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jedispyder wrote:
I might have missed it, but is this what Dean was referring to when he said we needed to update our Rules Advisor status?

I believe so. Probably because Jim is going to need people he knows he can trust to follow the correct DCI rules for wherever these regional events are held.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:27 pm 

Ok, that's what I figured. Have to say I'm definitely excited, and I know for sure Cincy is gonna be a hell of a national tourney to get through, lol ^_^

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:55 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Wow!

Finally eh?

Hopefully some love will be sent to the non-US way and Canada might find itself a qualifier tourney??

Either way I'm looking forward to maybe probably hopefully attending this year!

This is great news, lets hope for more positive decisions like this in the future!

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:34 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Jim is going to need people he knows he can trust to follow the correct DCI rules for wherever these regional events are held.

While that is true, Dean's comments were about the fact that rules advisor status for most people is or has already expired.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:08 pm 

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
Jim is going to need people he knows he can trust to follow the correct DCI rules for wherever these regional events are held.

While that is true, Dean's comments were about the fact that rules advisor status for most people is or has already expired.

No, Dean made other comments about why it is so important for us to make sure we renew it. He also said the reason why will be revealed in the near future (it was on the thread here, not on WotC).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:59 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jedispyder wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
LoboStele wrote:

No, Dean made other comments about why it is so important for us to make sure we renew it. He also said the reason why will be revealed in the near future (it was on the thread here, not on WotC).

I must have missed that part, or been thinking of a different thread.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:10 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Jim's been pretty excited about this, I for one do not miss the league kits, it was usually a dumb fig anyway, the only useful ones we ever got were the Ugo and the MTB.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:07 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The maps they had been sending out lately have been really nice though. In fact, just last night we had a relatively new player at our store asking about how to get some of the maps. It's players like those that benefit the most from the League kits, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I think everyone wants to see support in some fashion, but it's the economy, stupid. :P

Look at the other cutbacks even WotC has had to make over the last year and it should be obvious that tough times are affecting them, too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I think everyone wants to see support in some fashion, but it's the economy, stupid. :P

Look at the other cutbacks even WotC has had to make over the last year and it should be obvious that tough times are affecting them, too.

Haha, I know that! :P

Still, wish they would at least say officially "We're suspending the League Kits for the time being. They may return at a future time, but for now, we're doing this to make sure the rest of the game continues smoothly." Or something like that. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

Haha, I know that! :P

Still, wish they would at least say officially "We're suspending the League Kits for the time being. They may return at a future time, but for now, we're doing this to make sure the rest of the game continues smoothly." Or something like that. ;)

Those are questions for Sarah.