logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Jedi Challenge 2/28/09
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:58 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

You may have heard of this format before. At GenCon, Jim Frasier (Moses) gave a prize to the player with the best overall record between the 100, 150, and 200 pt. tournaments. Our local SWM organizer created a one-day version in which players compete in 3 rounds - the first round is 100, the second round is 150, and the last round is 200. You build a brand new squad at each round of the event.

Round 1 I ran - Anakin on STAP, Obi JM, R2, Mas, Ug x2. (We did not know about the FAQ/Errata change).
I won map roll and so we played on Muunilist.

My opponent had SS Rebel Commandos. Anakin steamrolled them with R2's help. There's really not much else I can say.

1-0

Round 2 I ran - GG DAC, IG-86 x2, BDO, T3, Battle Droid, Ug x3, Bodyguard Droid

Again on Muunilist, I faced Cade and General Wedge and Mara Jade, Jedi. I got steamrolled. I lost every init and failed every splash save, even when Cade missed his attacks. It was a total massacre.

1-1

Round 3 I ran "Machine Gun Bounty Hunters," as posted in the 200 point squad critique section.
I faced, again on Muunilist, the standard Yobuck-Rex-Panaka team. I disintegrated Rex (which wouldn't have mattered because he was already down to 60 and I lost a twin because of the big D), and all the damage Yobuck was able to put on the squad got healed away. My opponent was very afraid of the big D, but even more so of me taking 8 shots at the end of the round after all his pieces had activated out.

I controlled the center of the map the entire game.

2-1

Overall, not a bad time. I could have played the 150 pt. game a lot more effectively, but despite that a good time was had by all. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: Jedi Challenge 2/28/09
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:03 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

If you're going to run IG-86's at 150 points, you really need to include San Hill, IMO. I like your 200 point squad though. That's just nasty. You should work in an ASP or T1 somehow to move them back out of the way at the end of the round. :P

We did something sort of similar here a few weeks back, and we called it a 'Progressive' build. Not necessarily different squads at each of the point levels though. Whatever your 100 point squad was, you turned that into a 150 point squad, but whatever pieces were in the 100 pointer, had to stay in the 150 point one. Then for round 3, it bumped up to 200, then up to 250 for round 4. It was quite fun, and obviously, cut down on people using too many massive power pieces (though we did allow people to run short for one round so they could add a bigger piece the next round, for instance, run 93 points in the 100 point game, then add GGDAC for the 150 point game).

Post subject: Re: Jedi Challenge 2/28/09
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:23 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
If you're going to run IG-86's at 150 points, you really need to include San Hill, IMO.

Yeah I started to but thought the BGD would be more important.

First initiative of the game I rolled a 1. DOH! lol

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg