logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 pt in Des Moines
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:00 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

HI. This is the first time I've posted one of these things, so bear with me. We played a 150 point tourney today (we normally, if not exclusively, play 200, so building is tough for us). We had 8 players, which is about our norm. We told everyone to bring competitive squads (not our normal "fun" squads).

Expecting lancers/yobuck, I (1st place) ran:
Vader, scourge
Nina Calixte
Storm Commando
Jarael
Kel Dor X2
Wicket
Ug D

Lady Hothie (2nd place) ran:
KKJBM
Wedge
MJJ
Dodonna
Twilek BG
UgX3

Troy, a fairly new player to our group, got 3rd place with a squad very similar to LH's
KKJBM
Wedge
MJJ
Dodonna
GA Scout
Ug X2

Matt (4th place, I think) ran:
GGDAC
Chameleon Droid X2
BDO
Gha Nachkt
IG-86
BD's

Chuck (5th place) ran:
Vader IC
Veers Hologram
Felucian Storm Off
Storm Off
Scout troopers

Melissa (6th place) ran:
Mandalore the Ultimate
Mando Gunslinger
Mando Soldier
Mando Captain
Mando Scout

Dennis (7th place) hadn't been there in a month, so he didn't know we were running 150 competitive, so he ran:
Stormie Han
Chewie RH
Leia HC
Lando HoT
Bothan Noble
Rebel Vanguards

Ken, a very new player, ran:
GGDAC
Destroyer Droid
Crab Droid X2
BD's

I faced Ken first round. He ran his GGDAC up to the front to fight (after the game I let him know that wasn't such a good strategy). I based him with my 2 Kel Dors. He was toast soon thereafter. I based the DD with Jarael and did some damage to it. My SS really hurt him.

Then I faced Melissa with her Mandos. She didn't use the Charging Fire as well as I thought she might. My higher activations and SS were her downfalls.

Then I faced Lady Hothie, in a good match on the Train map. We essentially fought in one of the trains the whole time, to use my SS to its full advantage. Vader finally faced a melee attacker (had been building against them), and took Kyle down real quick. No more disruptive, so my SS went to town. MJJ took Vader out, but the rest of my squad was too powerful for her, so I won that one.

My last match was against Troy with a very similar army to LH's. That was my closest game. Vader again killed KKJBM quickly, and Mara ended up killing him. It came down to me winning init, Storm Commando attacking MJJ, Nina combining fire, needing a 6, I roll a 9. That was close. If I hadn't combined fire, MJJ assaults and kills them both.

Anyway, that's what we did today. Hope you all like it. :)

http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm

Last edited by hothie on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 150 pt in Des Moines
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:02 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Cool! Sounds like you guys have a good group, and people who like playing varying factions. If you're not used to building 'tier 1' squads, and you're not used to 150 points either....yeah, it can be really tough to shift gears and come up with things that will work well. Sounds like you nailed it pretty good though.

How did your SS shooters deal with the NR Evade? Did you take out Wedge early on?

Post subject: Re: 150 pt in Des Moines
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:54 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

No, couldn't get to Wedge. Just took out Kyle with Vader, mostly to take away the Disrupt. Then just plucked away at them. Kel Dors based them, obviously, and I sat back and shot with SC and Nina hoping for failing Evade rolls, which LH usually makes damn near all of them against me. (Seriously, it's like over 85% of the time she makes the 50/50 chance.) I was able to use Wicket quite effectively. Nina helps out with that a ton.

http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm