logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Bellevue, WA 2/21
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:16 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I finally got to play in an event, after judging so many for a few weeks. I decided to go with one of my separatist ideas.

--(S.O.S.) Separatists of Serenno--
51 Count Dooku of Serenno
41 Aurra Sing, Jedi Hunter
27 Lobot
21 GenoHaradan Assassin
10 San Hill

Lobot:
11 Human Bodyguard
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(150pts. 9 activations

http://bloomilk.com/Squads/ViewSquad.aspx?SquadID=23938

First Round

Yobuck
R2 AD
Rex
JWM
Geno
uggies

I lost map roll and had to play on the rancor pit. I took the gambit side. The first fe rounds of the game was all low rolls. Niether of us rolled above 6 for about ten rolls. Then R2 dragged rex out for shot, which cost him r2 and 30 on rex from force lightning. Both of our geno's were basically speed bumps. Yobuck took alot of aoo damage and ripostes. I kept rolling 4's to hit with dooku vs yobuck and I was dissapointed thinking they were misses (because I am used to Darth Tyranus, LotDS who has 15 attack) but dooku has a +16 and they were hits. Aurra's first Blaster Barrage missed the geno once and the jwm once but eventually aurra and Dooku chewd through the jwm. After the JWM was dead, i finally won an init I was able to chase down Rex with Aurra to get the last 40 to him. Yobuck was almost out of hp, so it was pretty much over.

S.o.S. 1-0

Second Round

Yobuck
rex
panaka
mas
R2 ad
Captain Antilles
Uggies

I won map roll and we played on ruined base. The key events in this match up started with yobuck getting up to geno, getting two attack and rolling 1, so the geno lives. 3rd round yobuck had charged aurra, and then swapped in rex. At this point aurra was activated from getting some damage on yobuck. Dooku was able to get 40 on rex, bring him down to 30. I then lost init and rex was swapped out for mas. I decided it was best to just get mas out of the way, so dooku doubled him. This round end with yobuck cleaning up the geno and some uggies but, i spent for speed with aurra and got another twin on yobuck and was basing him. Again i lost init, and he choose to double aurra since he couldn't get swapped because mas was dead. I then finished off yobuck with aurra, but i lost aurra to rex. We did some positioning and but i still had san hill to help control the tempo. I saw him setting up for rex to get a great mobile. I decided to take a risk and just move dooku to a spot, where it didn't matter where rex ran too, i could lightning him if I won init (i was hoping karma would could back and I would finally win an init). He got worried and realized my plan. He ended up taking 4 shots from abad spot, were dooku even had cover. Missed all 4. I won init and got the lightning on rex. It pretty much ended the game.

S.o.S. 2-0

3rd Round

Boba BH
Padme Senator
Jarael
Captain panaka
mas amedda
camaasi noble
uggies

I brought in 1 camaasi instead of 2 of the uggies on this one. I lost map init and we played on the crystal chambers map from the new starter. At this point I was getting alittle sick of playing the reublic squads : ) He set up for a swap and Boba was staring at my force from the center of the map. I knew he could have padme give him attacks, then have him shoot and move away, so the best I could do would be to shot him with the geno or aurra and hope he doesn't evade. I figured it wasn't worth it, and he didn;t have overide so I just locked the door that boba was right behind. I avoided that 80 damage. Then next round I met boba and jarael in the center of the map. jarael took 60 from aurra but she got a triple on aurra. Jarael eventually went down and and dooku head after padme. Aurra ran off with her low health. Padme got swaped for mas and I took the chance to lighning mas. I positioned the bg and camaasi. Boba ended trying to gett he bg out of the way, but had trouble hitting him. It ended up with dooku going after panaka. Padme tried shooting the BG and couldn;t hit and he then I pointed out he could give the free shot with boba because mas was dead. Aurra came the bottom of the map and got padme. Boba went after lobot to get points but I was still ahead when we got to time. Boba was unhurt and i probably would have lost hadn't it gone to time but then again I would have played differently. Good game though.

S.o.S. 3-0

4th Round

Gen. Obi (the new starter obi)
Rex
JWM
Roron Corob
r2 ad
uggies

So again I am facing another republic squad but this time its the 2 starter rares against each other so I am looking forward to it. I win map roll and we play on ruined base. I get the outside. First got interesting because after outactivating him I was able to get 2 doors opened (uggie and lobot) to get a twin at roron with aurra (took a fp to move). I then won init, shot roron again and mvoed away. The bets part was that I hit 2/4 shots needing 11's and he made 1/2 deflect saves...we were at perfect odds. But it was key for me, because i knew roron was down to 2 fps and couldn't repulse. I moved inside the main gambit room and he huddled around the turbolifts. He got a line with rex but was only able to kill 2 uggies. Ob i kept back away from the main doors, so after i outactivated him, aurra, the bg and dooku came up around the bottom of the map, which caught him off gaurd. I won init and got dooku up basing obi. Corob and jwm got up blocking aurra from getting to obi. Rex took some shots at dooku and aurra moved up damaging corob. Corob got a crit on dooku right after the BG moved up and i failed the makashi and the reroll. I had to give it to the BG because dooku has 70 hp...i didn't want him to be a force push away from death. At the end of the round, i ran the geno up after rex, leaving the geno within 6 of rex. I won init and I got the perfect geno attack. Loner+Cunning+Poison Blade. Rex took 50 and geno ended up being a good distraction for rex. I got a a force lightning on all 3 of the jedi. Aurra barrage roron and jwm but the high def and deflects kept them up. I finally was able to kill kill roron and aurra took an aoo from the jwm and twin obi killing him. Rex killed the geno and moved into position. I was able to finish the jwm with dooku who lived with 10 hp after all the makashi saves. Then aurra got los on rex at range and hit both 10 damage shots, to finish him. It was one of the most fun games I have ever played and it was just an awesome feeling to have interesting lightsaber duels between characters. Great game Daniel !

S.o.S.

So my prize for this event...Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter!

Post subject: Re: Bellevue, WA 2/21
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice report! It's really interesting to see how playstyles differ SO much from one venue to the next. We honestly don't see THAT much Republic at my venue, and when I do see Republic squads, they are mostly focused on Mobile troopers. Panaka has seen little to no play at our store, and even less play with Yobuck. I don't know, maybe most of our guys feel it's 'cheese' or something (not saying it is, just speculating).

Nice work with your squad though. You definitely designed something to handle your local meta, especially if you're seeing Yobuck that often (Makashi + Twin AoO from Aurra is a VERY nice deterrent).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:32 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I have really enjoyed the sep squads. Aurra sing, JH and pick another piece, add san hill+door control and activations. Boba, BH or Darth Tyranus or even darth maul on speeder. But after you and I pm'd, I was thinking about how you said so many shooter squads are out there that dooku/tyranus would have trouble with. So I decided to play my mando scout squad with boba MC+ czerka to get a feel for shooters. Which was mostly because of a post I read about preparing for gencon and playing all the squads, not just what you were going to bring (also I think by you). After playing the scouts again on the new taris map against a dodonna squad, I decided to redo my S.o.S. squad. Which was what I played.

I decided to put san hill back in. Partially because of our discussion. The reason I stopped useing him in the first place was because panaka swap made the important actions happen in the middle, not the beginning or the end. Also squad size was dropping because of yobuck. But I realized i did need san hill against almost everything else. Helped me position better, and once you play san hill enough...1 activation at a time is just part of how you play. I still have players, tell me to get san hill killed mid game because he is hurting me...which makes me giggle a bit, because I just think about the games I have won because I could still out activate at the end of the game. And the new init rules just makes the burder easier.

I got san hill in the squad by dropping t3 and putting in lobot + san hill...making my human BG and 3 uggies free. The hardest part of all my games was still positioning lobot. His 20 hp made him a huge risk against lobot but I just tried to make it so my opponents would have to really work to go after him with yobuck and that it would likely cost yobuck 60 hp from aurra if they wanted to try. Which ended up working because he only died in game 3 which was going to time and I was willing to sacrifice him because I still had the point lead.

So agin thanks for the input and even though are meta's are so different, I think the conversations still helped. Thanks again

And I think the deal with our meta is tied to a chunk of the people came from D&D minis or hero clix which are more melee, so yobuck and kyle are really popular which makes other melee pieces better and more played. So we have a good mix. But our meta is still really odd. Yobuck swap is considered the best by most players. We have tons of cookie cutter NR squads but no one ever says its cheesy because we almost never have NR wins. jack finally got a 3-0 a few weeks back with NR at a smaller event (8 people) but otherwise NR is always 3-1 or worse.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:56 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Omnus wrote:
But I realized i did need san hill against almost everything else. Helped me position better, and once you play san hill enough...1 activation at a time is just part of how you play. I still have players, tell me to get san hill killed mid game because he is hurting me...which makes me giggle a bit, because I just think about the games I have won because I could still out activate at the end of the game. And the new init rules just makes the burder easier.

Ahh....you learn quickly, Padawan Omnus. ;)

The Humna BG/Ugo x3 is definitely one of my go-to Reinforcement options in some matches, especially if you know your opponent's main piece is something like Yoda on Kybuck where you don't have to worry about shooters so much. Like I've said before, I like to use Gran Raiders for my reinforcements a lot of times, or Wicket and 4 Ugos, but against Yobuck, both of those will usually end up just getting Galloped to death quickly. The HBG can really go a long way to absorb an attack on Lobot or something like that. Or, you could even risk leaving Aurra a bit exposed, and Rex needs 12's to hit her, and then the BG can take some of the damage if she even gets hit at all.

I definitely don't think Seps are going anywhere. Your Dooku of Serreno builds intrigue me, and I have to remember to keep them in mind. However, like I've said before, my local meta is REALLY different, because we see almost no Yobuck squads, and probably 80% shooter squads, so Serreno's Makashi style would do absolutely nothing for me at all.

However, your squad is pretty similar to what several of us were building right after LOTF came out, using Aurra JH and Tyranus LOTDS. The Genoharadan is an interesting addition, I have to say, and it costs you to have a few less activations, but from the sounds of it, that aspect of it doesn't matter too much locally, and so the GHA ends up making a great piece for gaining gambit.

Sounds to me like you've got a decent handle on your local group, and honestly, that's one of the most important parts to building good squads and consistently winning week to week. Nice work. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:26 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Darth Tyranus, LotDS is one of my favorite pieces to play. Trying serreno was intially just as tweak to try something different. But I found myself really happy to have the multitarget lightning, and when I went back to play LotDS i was missing it. I think partially because aurra is generally aoe. Blaster Barrage+ twin. I often get to hit 2 or more pieces which works great with force lightning 2. Also he has made me annoyed when I have to spend fp's to block : ) And just a small bonus of +1 attack and 10hp has made alot of difference.

I go back and forth on the geno. Sometimes I feel like he is minor speed bump. But I do like the possibility of him gathering gambit safely. He is meant as a 3rd threat but often targeted first. I have tried useing bindo in his place a few times which I like but miss the mobile scrub killing.

Bindo can surprise you though. Moving him 12 spaces and going for a force stun and then your opponent has to either move away and take an aoo or deal with the 80 hp distraction with avoid defeat first. Force valor is nice bonus against rex early on and for early aurra shots.