logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: vassal tournaments can we please use skype for now on
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:12 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

i think we should use skype for the vassal tournaments then i think we could do 60 min games and it wouldnt feel like the games are going so slow. i really felt the games in the last vassal tournament went really slow that was some what from me not knowing what i was doing when i was running the tournament. i felt the game play was really slow too. running the tournament with skype would speed up the games to were they should be so the tournament doesnt go past 12-1 am central.

Post subject: Re: vassal tournaments can we please use skype for now on
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hmmm definately interesting. I know I was able to play my first game on skype against TINT and it was awesome. Definately made for a table top feel. This seems to have its own set of logistic problems though. I mean so you would announce pairings and go to the room and them one person would have to call the other set up and then go. I think this still will be clunky, but could be something were if we did it enough and worked out the bugs could end up quite well. I still think you will always have someone in the tourny with no mic, so like I said interesting problems to solve.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:41 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Please let him have deleted it ! ! Please let him have deleted it ! ! Please let him have deleted it ! ! Please let him have deleted it ! !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:30 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

i uploaded it. ill look into it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:42 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Yeah I used skype against Tint too. He was playing Dodanna and I was playing San and the whole "I activate an ugnaught and do nothing" phase went way quicker. Definitely recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:20 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Just talking about myself, when I'm sitting here at the computer, looking at the screen, I have a tendency to talk to myself outloud, plotting strategies, lining up shots, etc. Just me, perhaps, but I don't think Skype would be helpful to my opponent when they hear me mumbling!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:10 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I just want to chime in on this real quick: Vassal games with Skype are MUCH more enjoyable (table-top feel, as Boba52 says) and much faster, and with fewer hassles, than Vassal games without Skype. It only takes about 5 seconds or less for two people to connect a "call" on Skype. There's the odd situation where you lose the connection ("Can you hear me now?"), but even with something like that happening, it's still MUCH better than the alternative type-chat. There really is no question: using Skype for Vassal games is a huge improvement.

If someone doesn't have a mic, then obviously they can't do Skype, and so we'll have to resort to type-chat again for that match. But if we can affort to spend $100s of dollars on little lumps of painted plastic, then $20 for a mic doesn't seem too far out for most of us.

Furthermore, Skype is very easy to download and install--infinitely easier than Vassal and its associated maps! :lol:

I really hope that many of the players at this Saturday's tournament will be using Skype.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dvader831 wrote:
Just talking about myself, when I'm sitting here at the computer, looking at the screen, I have a tendency to talk to myself outloud, plotting strategies, lining up shots, etc. Just me, perhaps, but I don't think Skype would be helpful to my opponent when they hear me mumbling!

Hey Ray. I think you are looking at this all wrong. The webcam works great with skype also. It wouldn't be too hard to set up a webcam too point directly to your dice and actually roll real ones thus making the vassal ones uneccesary. I am pretty sure that would go along way to solving alot of negativity some (cough...ray...cough) have about using vassal. :D

You obviously would have to work out some of the problems, but over time could be done effectively.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:15 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

lol, Chris. I don't blame Vassal for the dice being skewed against me. I still believe they are totally random, but it just appears sometimes they are geared towards one player or another, but I know that happens in real life, too. The webcam idea is cool, but I have never gotten my XBOX Live camera to work on my computer, and that is the only webcam I have, but it is a cool idea. Might think about it . . . might :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:18 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

DOwnloaded it, seems to work. Now need to test it out with someone.