logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 200 Points DCI, Cincinnati, OH 2/5/09
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:01 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Last night we played a normal 200 point DCI tournament, and had 8 people show up. I decided to have a small bit of fun with the night, and I wanted to play with my newest custom (Mando Rak!). So, I went with something I wanted to try since KOTOR came out:

--Exar's Rak Band--
84 Exar Kun
28 Sly Moore
27 Lobot
32 Rakghoul x2
10 Dark Hellion Marauder on Swoop Bike
10 Caamasi Noble x2
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(200pts. 11 activations)

It's basically an 'Exar Sings' squad, but with 2 Raks and another Caamasi instead of Aurra. So...Sings...Rak Band...get it? :lol: Anyways, I chose Ruined Base for my map for the night.

First round I face Matt. I bring the MTB and 4 Ugs for my reinforcements. He's playing a NR squad with Talon Karrde, Mara JJ, Jaina, Han RH, Dodonna, Kel Dor, Ugo Boss, Lobot, and then MTB and 4 Ugs for Reinforcements. So, to start with, we're both killing pieces, and then still rolling for init, lol. First two rounds are mostly positioning, but at the end of Round 2, I manage to run the swoop the full 24 squares, then pop in with Kun and kill an exploding Ug. The real kicker is that this Ugo was adjacent to the MTB! So, I took init control at that point. Matt took advantage of me moving all the way across the board, and advanced all of his forces, putting Mara in range of both Sly and my MTB, and used Han's FP to move 8 and pick off Lobot (a nice move I didn't notice he could do). I won the init, but decided to let Matt go first, since he could only activate one piece anyways. He chose to kill the MTB with Mara. I activated a Rakghoul and Ambush on Jaina to kill her, spawning a new Rak. Kun then transfered into an Ugo, and then based Mara, hitting her once for 20. Han picked off the brand new Rak with his Cunning, but by that point it was too late. My other Rak moved 6, and killed an Ugo (which I kept forgetting still exploded for 10 damage, lol). Then the new Rak moved another 6 and killed another Ugo. Matt tried to trap those two Raks with his KDBH, but I just let the newest Rak take the AoO, and then move 6 to kill Lobot. Then THAT new Rak moved to kill Dodonna. So over 3 phases I killed Jaina, Lobot, Dodonna, and 2 Ugos, spawning 5 new Rakghouls, lol. At that point, there wasn't much left to do in the game, and time was slowly dwindling down. Mara and Kun duked it out a bit, and Mara made some key blocks, leaving her with 20 HP at the end. I tried using Dominate on Kun a couple of times, but even with FP re-rolls, I kept making the saves (ARGH!) When time was called, I was ahead by 4 points....only because I had 1 extra round of gambit. A seriously close game that was a lot of fun. Lobo 1-0

Second round was against Lackey. He was playing one of my favorite post-CW squads. He had Kyle, Mara, Han GH, Dodonna, Wedge, and Ugos. Even with Han GH on the board, I still brought the MTB and 4 Ugos. We played on Lackey's Coruscant map (since it's now legal for 200 DCI, lol). The first round was all positioning, till towards the end. Luckily I had enough activations that even with Lackey's Dodonna, we were about even overall. I sent the swoop bike screaming down the center lane, and based Kyle. Then I used Sly to Dominate Kun and I actually failed the save. Kun pops in and hits Kyle for 60, and takes 20 via Riposte. I got REAL lucky here because Lackey only had Han left to activate, who would get Cunning on Kun, but he missed both shots. Of course, the same dice karma got me, and I missed 1 of my attacks with Kun on Kyle, leaving him with 20 HP at the end of the round. I barely won the init roll, and managed to finish off Kyle, and then Transfer Kun out of harm's way. I made a semi-silly error though, and Han ended up picking off BOTH my Rakghouls that round. In Round 3 I dominated Kun again (failed save, yay!) and Transfered in to put 60 on Wedge. Then with Kun's activation I moved 6 and used Rage to put 30 on Han. Once again, I won the initiative (I believe I rolled a 16, and Lackey rolled a 15), and with Rage and Triple, finished off both Han and Dodonna. After the fact realized I probably should've just killed Han and Transfered out, but it ended up OK. Mara tried to Assault Kun, but without Cunning, she missed every attack. Now I had init control with the MTB, so I tripled on Mara, and then Transferred to safety. The final rounds were some position jockeying, but with such a huge point lead, Lackey had to come after me. I transferred back in at one point, and finished off Mara, then transferred out to kill the MTB, then transferred back in to finish off Wedge in the last round. Dominate was huge for me this game, as I managed to fail the save at least twice on Kun, and once on the MTB to kill an Ugo. Lobo 2-0

Final round I face Charlie. He's one of the younger guys in the group, but he loves playing GGDAC and IG-86's, and he's getting very good with them. Tonight, he had a squad that was a particular problem for me. He had GGDAC, San, Gha Nachkt, BDO, T3-M4, 3 IG-86's, and like 15 Battle Droids. I ran Wicket and 3 Grans for my reinforcements this game. He kept San, GGDAC, and Gha - the only pieces I could create new Raks with - completely at the back of the map, WAY too far for me to get to them. This game also ended up very frustrating, as I only got to use Dominate one time - I 'saved' a total of 8 out of 9 rolls for Dominate, which severly hampered my damage output, and really caused some headaches...oh, and wasted a bunch of FPs, lol. To top it all off, Charlie rolled a 1 on his 2nd init and brought in a Dwarf SD and two more BDs! And of course, the DSD put 60 on Kun at one point, lol. At one point I rolled a 2 on an attack against an IG-86 (needing 3's to hit for the kill, argh!!). And I made a bone-headed move that allowed Charlie to use T3's Flamethrower and wipe out Wicket, 3 Ugos, a Gran, and put 20 on Kun. Charlie also managed to put a total of 80 damage on Kun with the stupid freakin' Battle Droids, rolling a crit on one of those hits (in Charlie's defense, he did an awesome job of positioning to make sure that none of the BDs had to worry about cover when shooting Kun). So, in the end, it was just a bad match up for me, and combined with the dice not favoring me at all this game, I just couldn't do enough damage quick enough. Lobo 2-1

Overall, it was a fun night, and I was impressed with how well this squad did, even though it had no pieces from Clone Wars. It's definitely a rough match up against the Droids, with the Rakghouls having no fodder to chew on. Aurra would have been better in that last match up, as she could've used Sweep to wipe out a bunch of little Battle Droids all at once. But the Raks were certainly WAY more fun, especially in the first game.

I ended up in 2nd place for the night, and got an extra Ahsoka for it, so I was happy in the end.

Other squads for the night included a Rex/Aayla/Clone squad that didn't do very well (had too many older pieces), a Vong squad with Warmaster and Nom Bombs (finished 1-2 I believe), a WFF swarm (had 8 WFFs, 2 Czerkas, the Rebel Leader...only barely lost to Lackey's squad because of lousy rolling from what I understood), and a Sep squad with GGDAC, Darth Tyranus (old one) and PROXY.

Post subject: Re: 200 Points DCI, Cincinnati, OH 2/5/09
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Wow I think this is the fastest tht you got this up. Good Job.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:57 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Haha, could be. Slow morning at work. :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:29 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Nice report! Glad to see someone else enjoying the Exar/MTB/Sly and Rac combo. Droids are a problem for the Racs, but the best you can do is try to use Ambush and Sith Sorcery to kill/activate as many as possible. Its aweful hard though, when someone has that many droids, and out activates you. But there are always tough matches.

Just a question, what was your record for most Racs spawned in a single game? I have 15 total, but I have never had more than about 8 on the board at a given moment.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:40 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Hmmm...I had, let's see...2 in the squad to start with....I spawned a total of 7 or 8 in the first game against Matt. I think the most I had on the board at once was 6 though, 1 original one and 5 new ones. The two phases where I swept through almost his whole squad transforming things was absolutely hilarious.

You know, I think I COMPLETELY forgot about trying to use Sith Sorcery on the stupid Droids. I was so frustrated by not being able to use Dominate a single time, and then even missing stupid easy attack rolls, that it never occurred to me to try Sorcery. Would've been helpful in at least one instance. I don't think it would have saved me in the end, but that's how it goes.

I'd used the Exar/MTB/Sly combo a while back, but this was the first time I've finally plopped down some Raks along with Kun. It certainly won't be the last time! :P