logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Cincinnati, OH, ACME 200 Points SOTE 1/29/09
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

This week we tried a new 'fun' build. I put a post in the Custom Scenario section to show the rules we were running. You can find it here

I figured I'd see a lot of Boba BH, so I decided to run very few Uniques and some of my favorite Fringe pieces: the Human Scoundrels.

My squad:
Lobot
Lando HOT
Jolee Bindo
Human Scoundrel x5
Duros Scoundrel
Kel Dor BH
Czerka Scientist
Dark Hellion Swoop
Gran Raider
Ugo x5

Reinforcements from Lobot ended up being the Muun Tactics Broker and 4 Ugos for each round. I chose Broken Cristophsis for my map, and Han RH as my 'Han of choice' per the scenario.

First round I'm up against Lackey. Great. I lose the map roll, so we play on his Throne Room. I win the 'Han' roll though, and choose my Han (his was Han Stormtrooper). He chooses to set up Han inside the main room. His squad was Cade, Aurra, Juhani, Jarael, ASN Droid, Czerka, Wicket and two Ugos, so I didn't really want to choose his Han Stormtrooper and have Jarael rushing 16 squares to attack me, lol. First round he set up Aurra where I was able to get a ton of shots on her. My rolling was semi-decent, but not enough to kill her by the end of the round. Luckily, with the MTB, I got to activate first and finish her off. I ended up freeing Han in that first round with the Swoop, but then lost both to Cade's barrage. Lackey ended up freeing Han that round, and kept him till the end of the game at that point. In the third round, things started getting hairy. I had put at least 10 or 20 dmg on Jarael, and 30 or so on Juhani, and my Scoundrels were advancing. Lackey had his whole squad in the center room. He played it very well, and managed to keep just about everybody alive. As he activated all his pieces, we realized time was going to be out, and he had a small lead, only because he controlled Han. I had several Human Scoundrels left to activate (unfortunately, Han had sniped my Czerka), so Lackey decided his best bet was to use Jarael as a shield, hoping for the Evade saves. Turns out, I had 3 Human Scoundrels in position to shoot at her. The first two couldn't base her, and I missed one of the shots. Lucky for me, he failed the Evade on the shot I made. I only had 1 more Scoundrel, and I'd saved the best for last, as I realized I could base Jarael with this one. So, I moved up, took away the Evade, and rolled a 9 (needing an 8 with Jolee's Valor boost) and hit for the kill, giving me the edge in points. Lobo 1-0

Second game was against Brandon. We played on my Cristophsis map this time, and with my Han RH. I had to start on the left side of the map, but it didn't matter to me. Brandon's squad was Boba BH, Kreia, Jolee, Genoharadan, Mistryl Shadow Guard, Lando DS, a Caamasi, and an Ugo. He played some GREAT gaming by abusing the fact that I had no Accurate Shooters. The entire game he kept people positioned where I couldn't shoot the Caamasi or any of the Stealth/Cloaked pieces. First round he immediately went after Han, but with my Mobile/Opportunist shooters, I easily annihilated Han, placing him back in the Carbonite, in the top left square of the gambit zone, just inside the center doors. This would prove to be a frustrating game as I missed at least 80% of my shots, most times only needing a 9 or better, and the times I did manage to get hits, Brandon made his Evade rolls. In the end of the first round, I used the Swoop to free Han, and then with the MTB's help, I ran Han and hid him in the top left turbolift in the next round, keeping him fully safe from anyone's fire that round. The saving grace for me in this match was that I took out his Ugo early on (only thing without Stealth/Cloaked in LOS, lol), and then I used Lobot's Override to split his forces. This ended up allowing me to take out both Lando and Jolee over the course of a couple rounds. I never managed to put any damage on Boba or the GenoHaradan, and only 10 or 20 on the MSG, but by that point, I had Han, and had enough kills to be way ahead on points. As time dwindled down, there wasn't much Brandon could do. Lobo 2-0

Final game of the night against James, my usual arch-nemesis. As expected, he's playing Boba BH and Cloaked pieces, with a ton of activations. He had Boba, 2 GenoHaradan's, Lando DS, a Czerka, Lobot, a Rodian Hunt Master, a DH Swoop, and a bunch of Ugos, with Wicket and 4 Ugos for his reinforcement. I lost map roll, so we played on his Train Station map. I also lost the Han roll, so we used his Han on Tauntaun, but I placed the Han in Carbonite so it was fairly close to me. Early in the first round, James went for the gusto and raced his Swoop out to free Han. I killed the swoop with a Human Scoundrel, but even after careful maneuvering to open just the right doors so I could shoot Han, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, and he ended up only taking 40 damage (very frustrating since I only need 7's with Lando to hit him, and I was in a position to use his Double/Twin). James made a nice move with his Lobot to lock a door I had previously opened with my Lobot, and I wasn't able to finish off Han. The rest of the round was mainly positioning, except that I discovered a beautiful LOS that allowed one of my Human Scoundrels to pick off Lobot (other pieces in LOS were the GenoHaradans, lol). Round 2, OF COURSE, I roll a 1 for initiative, so we re-roll, and I roll a 2. So he got to race Han back across the map and try to hide him. Lucky for me, it wasn't hidden enough. He tried to use Ugs to screen him and such, but I slowly picked them off. The KDBH put 20 on Han at one point, and I finally landed the killing blow on Han with a Scoundrel for 30 (I think I had to use Twin because I missed the first shot...again!). Han went back to the Carbonite, but I immediately freed him, and then used my Lobot to securely look the door where he was hiding. James had no Ugs within range to blow the door, and while we had time to just one more round of play, there wasn't any way for him to get LOS on any of my pieces at that point. Lobo 3-0

I won a Sidious Hologram from the prize support. Overall, it was a REALLY fun build. Games with Lackey and James always seem to only go about 3-4 rounds, because we try entirely too hard to out-think each other, lol. But it was a fun build, and it was neat to see the squads that people came up with. Saw a few Boba's, Juhani's, Jarael's, Kreia's, Lando's. The GenoHaradan was another popular one, as well as the Czerka. It's interesting that in terms of the Fringe faction options, Boba BH is still a good piece, but he certainly doesn't seem to be a 'go to' piece for me at all anymore. Way too many other cool options.

Post subject: Re: Cincinnati, OH, ACME 200 Points SOTE 1/29/09
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:40 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I was wondering if anyone was going to use the munn because their was no counter for it in this game format. If i went that is what I would of used

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Post subject: Re: Cincinnati, OH, ACME 200 Points SOTE 1/29/09
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:15 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Matt was using the MTB as well, so 2 of us out of 8 people. I know Creehan uses it sometimes, but other than that, the other guys who showed up I don't think any of them really feel comfortable with how to use the MTB properly.