logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:37 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I have to tell ya I love seeing NNs first post, a little passion there huh!

All in all, yeah a lot of threads go south on the Wotc boards, but most of that is due to the fact that most of the posters over on those boards don't play competitively, confuse local and national meta, and are kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:32 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Lord_Nihl wrote:
I have to tell ya I love seeing NNs first post, a little passion there huh!

All in all, yeah a lot of threads go south on the Wotc boards, but most of that is due to the fact that most of the posters over on those boards don't play competitively, confuse local and national meta, and are kids.

not all kids ruin threads on wotc, adults can also make some of the threads go south.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:48 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Lord_Nihl wrote:

The high level competitive players can be just as bad as anybody else over there. Some of them seem to be set on the idea that thier level of play is the only one that matters so if a piece isn't good enough for them its not good for anybody. Sometimes some of them can get pretty rude towards somebody who thinks a piece they've declared subpar might actually be fun to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:22 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

homer_sapien wrote:
Some of them seem to be set on the idea that thier level of play is the only one that matters so if a piece isn't good enough for them its not good for anybody.

I dont think this is the case at all. Sure, everyone can misunderstand others and quick posts often result in short answers that can be seen in the wrong light.

But on the whole I find the confusion of what critique is to be the biggest problem. First, you dont have to take everyone's advice. Second, you dont have to argue the merits of a fun squad. Just post what it is for. Its your own fault if you post a fun squad and ask for critique without telling people your purpose is not competitive.

And finally, if you dont want (or cant handle) strong critique dont post on the official forum squad critique board. If you really want a "Wow that looks great" response I can suggest other boards to post on. Of course they wont make you a better player, but that's another argument.

The quote I took from you I find to be a complete misunderstanding of the situation and the mindset of the competitive players. In fact its the exact kind of generalization that you are accusing them of. All of us play for fun. If you cant take it, then perhaps you are not mature enough to be posting on the internet. And there in lies the biggest problem.

(And yes, I understand that people can be rude, and cross the line. It happens all the time from every camp. Making it somehow a common problem of the "competitive gamers" is unfair, false and just a cop out.)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:22 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

You misunderstood my post. It had nothing to do with squad critique. Note the last sentence that you dropped from your quote of my post. My full post was in reference to posts in various threads regarding the previewed FU minis.

Plus I objected to the implication that threads going bad was some how the fault of less competitive players just not getting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:42 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Xanthan wrote:

not all kids ruin threads on wotc, adults can also make some of the threads go south.

Amen to that; it's more of a 50-50 split. Kids tend to troll and adults tend to close up and defend to the death.