All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: vassal, 12/6
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

4th place

7 people

game 1 hunter- I won. Slowest game ever, but it is all good.

game 2 bill- I lost

game 3 darth- Han beat up on some mandos. Shado like tripled its hp.

Post subject: Re: vassal, 12/6
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:24 am 
General
General

Anybody have a report of this tournament that includes some actual information about the tournament? :)

No offense, empirejeff. I appreciate that you always post tournament results quickly. But as someone who wasn't there, your report doesn't really tell me much.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Squads and people would be very appreciated. I can only guess that Darth is DarthRaven, but the Hunter? hmmm. I don't get to play competively very often so it is fun for me to see what squads are acually played.

Thanks for trying Jeff :P .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:35 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

I'm bringing Rexy Buck was what I ran.

First round was against DarthRaven with Boba MC and some mandos. He brought Hoth and won map. He didn't have any door control however, which was a mistake against my R2. I used that advantage first turn to set myself up nicely in the middle. Note, I did not use a lock out victory like I could have here, instead I simply used my door control to protect my pieces and strike accordingly :)

Anyways, that's what I did, once I was set up where I wanted, I ran Yoda out to take on a Gun, Scout, Trooper, Captain and avoided Boba. Then swapped in Rex to finish the Captain and pop 40 on Boba. If I had lost init, REx would have died, but it was a worthy sacrifice. I won init, and that more or less was game as I played cat and mouse around the Base.

Game 2 - Empire Jeff, this time I won map and used Rancor pit. He took the left. He had Han GH, Shado, a Masstiff and T3. I moved everyone up round one to the middle area, and set up for round two. I had to be careful here with swaps because if I let Shado and Han double up on Yoda or REx I was in trouble. So I towed in Rex to take 4 clear los shots on his Han, which put me 10 away from Shado (which is what I needed to force him to use his fps for move faster rather than precision). Han then tried to shoot R2, hitting once I think. Then Shado spent his two force and moved up to kill R2 and hit Rex once I think. I then used Yoda now safely to gallop all his ugos, his T3 (fp for master speed to hit this twice), Han and Shado once each, Shado blocked I think. This put his Han at 30 I think. Then he won init, Han put 60 on Yoda, and Shado put 40 on there as well. But now I doubled Han, killing him, and swapped away. It was now simply a matter of finishing Shado which didn't take long since I was able to keep him low in fps most of the game.

Game 3 - Gren - using his German Championship Squad - Basically Speedy Cannon using Han Smuggler and inserting Lobot and R2PO and Dodonna. He won map, which was the killer piece and chose Chancellor's, ug for me. Lobot brought a BG and some ugos, double Ugg for me :). I had to set up first because I had to have the left side, triple Ugg for me and so on. Knowing that he would likely put the speeder at the top, I set up in the big room on the left, within tow and double mobile range of the Speeder's likely start space for Rex. Sure enough, he put the speeder and an ugo in front of it up there (placed the ugo in the top space so I could still get the closest in cover shot on the speeder with Rex) and the rest went to the bottom.

So late in the round, I openned my door with a tow and quad GMed the Speeder, hitting once.... Had the ugo not given it cover I would have hit 3/4, needed 12s. Swapped Rex for Yoda and moved back into my room. He took some shots on my R2 in cover with his Han, only one hit, which Panaka took. Speeder moved into gambit with 70hps, which is key because if I win init, Rex can kill the speeder and I would be very well hidden from him. Of course I lose init, so Leia gives the speeder a free twin on my R2, which I take (BGing 30 would have killed Panaka, then twin would still kill R2. Speeder runs into the big room on the lower right side. I start to move up, using swapping to avoid Han as best I can, and to get some shots on his gambit ugos (reinforcements). I use my ECT to hit his last one needing a 4, and I roll a 1... Yoda gets swapped into the middle room with Rex and Panaka at the top in position to move in for shots. Not much else I could do here since I had to have Yoda protect my last ugo from the speeder, or I risked facing his entire squad, hidden in that room, with mobile and double override on me. Yoda takes 100 dmg from Han, Leia and the speeder that turn protecting my ugo, but that was expected. Next init comes, I win it. I decide I have to blow up this door, and once I do, Yoda is going to die so its time to gallop. I do so, I put 20 on R2PO, 20 on the BG, 20 on the Speeder, which hits twice on Yoda with a fprr of one miss, then 20 on dodonna, kill his Lobot, and 20 on Leia. I chose to move the full distance to try and get 20 on his Han instead of 16 and doubling Leia at this time (wanted everyone within kill range of Rex before Yoda died) and Leia missed the AoO, rerolled and its an 18, ending my gallop, also meaning Han is not based with Yoda and he will be free to use all his shots on the rest of my squad, Ugg again.

So that all happens, I use swap to kill his R2po with Rex, and then hit the speeder again which takes it down to 10hps, speeder hits Rex for 40 then retreats behind Han, Leia moves up to shoot my Caamasi, Han kills my ugo and Gran. So its Rex, Panaka and Mas against 10hp Speeder, full health Han, 30hp Leia and 20 hp BG (who was BGing nothing at the moment.)

Rex shoots the BG and Leia, then runs away again. Panaka moves up to shoot his Dodonna for the kill, Mas moves up to gambit. Speeder and Han kill Panaka. I win the last init, and I have a choice. According to the score, I cannot win without killing both Han and the Speeder, and Han has the better chance of missing me (one shot at +14 vs two at 12s with a reroll, and the ability to get away from me, and higher defense in cover). So I elect to take my first twin at the speeder with no cover, kill it, then put 40 on his Han. Han kills Rex in response and moves towards gambit. My Mas kills his ugo that he didn't have to move into gambit, but he did anyway. That takes the score to 152-154 for him. But then I figure, wait, he can't possibly have 154. So we recheck the score, and he forgot to add 3 points for an ugo a while back. I have 6 gambit to his 3.

And here's where it really affects the issue. I looked at the score figuring my only chance to win was to kill both the speeder and Han when I won that last init, and the speeder had to die first. Score was 99 to 116 at the time. But really it should have been 99 to 119. Now, Rex is 33pts, so with 119, all he needs to do is kill rex and he hits the build total, i would have tried to kill Han with Rex, and then moved Mas in front to protect him from the Speeder. The issue was, I would have needed to hit all 4 attacks (no cover) on Han. So I went for the sure kill, and the hope that Mas could finish his Han if Rex died (Han needed not to roll a 1 I think on my Rex). Odds weren't real great for me either way, but had I known that he didn't need that last round of gambit, I would have played it differently.

All in all, it was a minor issue but it did affect the game play at the end there. Very good tight game, and I really wish I had won the map roll :) He used double override and the BG very well in that game, and the best chances I had went away due to losing those 2 key inits when I could have killed the speeder early.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29