logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: ACME Games - 200pts Dream Team 12-4
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:50 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Well this week ACME Games decided to have some fun for their weekly tournament and run a Dream Team build. If you are not familiar with the term Dream Team, it is a build where Faction Rules are not inforced allowing you to build your squad with any combination of characters. The results are quite honestly very sick!

I called my squad for the tournament Killer Kermit:

Yoda on Kybuck - 51pts
Mandolore the Ultimate - 75pts
Mandolorian Captain - 23pts
General Wedge Antilles - 23pts
R2-D2, Astromech - 9pts
Mas Amedda - 8pts
Ugnaught Demolitionist x2 - 6pts
Stormtrooper - 5pts

200pts - 9 activations
Map choice: Muunilist Commerce Plaza

The squad centers on Yoda who thanks to Conscription gains the following abilities: Charging Fire, Twin Attack, Mobile Attack and Evade. Yoda causes havok while the rest of the squad tackles the leftovers and secures gambit.

Round 1 - I was paired with Matt who was running a Super Stealth squad that he threw together really quick after arriving late. The squad had General Obi-Wan, Rex, a couple wookies, Juno, Storm Commando, Elite Rebel Commando, Czerta, Aqualish Assassin, Dodonna and a couple more that I cannot remember. He won map and choose the Subway. I deferred Setup.

With the Transit Station, I was a little concern with getting Yoda out where he could be utilized with all of the doors on this map, so my strategy was to open all of the subway doors on left side (looking at the map long ways) before opening up any of the doors to the center area between the cars. The strategy paid off and I was able to move Yoda far enough up to send him charging through the ranks. Juno was well placed so Yoda did not kill off as much of the squad in his charge as I was hoping, but I did do some damage killing the Czerta, Aqualish Assassin and Dodonna. The move though left R2 somewhat in the open and Matt wasted no time in ensuring that R2 would not see the next round and he began setting up his remaining people for the kill. This allowed my support team (Mandolore really isn't support though - LOL) to get some shots, but I had to ensure that enough doors were open to allow Yoda back into the action the next round. This left my Mandolore open and he took several hits while placing 30 on Rex. Next round R2 is dead and Yoda manages to come back into the fray although he had to take a longer route thanks to Matt's Elite Commando. I placed Yoda in position to shield Mandolore from a number of shots. The end result was Matt needed a couple of crits in order to kill Mandolore (for the win). Luckily for me, he did not get the needed crits and I took the game with points at the end of time. Lackey 1-0

Round 2 - I get paired with Matt's son Brandon who ran a Yobuck squad too, but the main differences in our squads was my Yobuck had twin. Brandon's support included Vader SotJ, Rex R2 Astro and some filler that I cannot remember. I won map and choose the Commerce Plaza. Brandon choose to set up on the Control Room side.

This match was a little one-sided. I lead my squad allow on side of rooms preparing for a Yoda charge. Brandon set Vader, Wedge, R2 and Yobuck towards the other set of room while keeping Rex and a couple support in the control. I set my Yobuck up towards the Control Room and emilinated most of the support for the squad and injured Rex in the process. Mandolore focused on his Yobuck and added 60 real quick to his. This cause Brandon to delay his Yobuck charge for another round as he set his Vader to deal with Mandolore. Next round Mandolore attempts to evade Vader's reach (but fails) but places some damage on Yobuck. Brandon's Yobuck falls after mine kills Rex and charges up to his. Vader sweeps in and bases Mandolore doing some damage. On the next round, I probably made a mistake by charging my Yobuck to his Vader (I forgot he had Jedi Hunter!) and while I placed 40 damage on him, I ended up taking 60 from Deim So and a Riposte (thankfully he failed his second Deim So save!). Seeing my mistake, I moved Yobuck away (taking another 30) clear out of range for Vader. Mandolore put 60 on Vader and the next round I won init which allowed Mandolore to wrap things up. Lackey 2-0

Round 3 - I get paired with James. James is running a Malak squad featuring Mira, two Mando Scouts, Czerta, Dodonna, Lobot and some Ugnaughts. I won map and James choose the control room side of the map. If you know James, he plays defensively and is very good at doing so. My squad obviously is the opposite and this gave James some hard decisions the first round as he tried to keep his filler out of Yoda's path. The first round ended with my squad in the rooms along the right. James clearly outnumbered my squad so he finished his activations moving Mire up to pop my R2 in the room. I don't mind my opponent targeting a 9pt figure with this squad. Granted I lose the towing, but after the 1st Round, Yoda is ready to go and that was precisely what I did with Round 2. Thanks to James, the doors were open to reach his Mira who was the heart of his squad. I based her and ended my movement, allowing Yobuck his Galloping Twin attack and his Charging Fire Twin attack. This killed Mira (who was tied to Luke Spirit) and I took control of points. James questioned the move but found out why I left Yobuck open when he opened up his Scouts on Yoda. James forgot that Yoda had Evade and I avoided more than half of the damage either from making the Evade or James rolling a 2 which happened twice in his 8 attacks from them. Malak moved over and added 30 to Yoda with Lightning and it came down to Inititive. I won and thankfully did not have to rely on making a number of Evade saves and ran Yoda out of harm's way back through the rooms along the right side. This forced James to come after me which he did with Malak while moving his scouts into a better position to attack next round. With time running out, we started another round. Malak managed to get a lightning on Yoda dropping him to 20 or 30 HP, but couldn't base him, so I was able to finish crossing the map well out of range for the Scouts. In the end, James just could not recover from the point lead I got from killing Mira and I won the match after time. Lackey 3-0

Last round - I am paired with Brian Re. Brian's squad was another Mandolore the Utlimate squad featuring Aqualish Assassins pumped my the Mando Captain, Nyna, R2 Astro and Ithorian Commander. He also used Dodonna to seriously out activate me. I won map and Brian choose to set up on the craft side of the map. I spread out my forces between the control room and the right side. First round we both move towards the rooms on the right side, but I send Mandolore and Wedge to the rooms on the left. Second round Brian wins initiative but forces me to go first. Knowing this was going to get ugly fast, I went ahead and set my Yoda charge in motion. I had R2 tow Yoda as far down the map as I could and then Yoda went charging to destroy as much of the squad as he could. I managed to kill all of his Aqualish and two of the Ugnaughts he was using. This though placed Yoda in mortal danger as Brian's Mandolore and Mando captain move in against my Yoda. He rolled a crit on my Yoda with his Mandolore! which put Yoda in graver danger than I first thought. Brian did win the next initative The results were not good and with combining fire his Mandolore finished off my Yoda. Unforunately for Brian, doing so left my support free to attack his remaining pieces and his Mando captain and Nyna fell and Mandolore took some damage over the next two rounds. I used Wedge as a shield for my Mandolore forcing him to target Wedge with Evade rather than Mandolore. The ploy worked and his support and Mandalore fell rather quickly. Lackey 4-0

Our prizes kinda stunk though as we pulled a Padme and 2 Oddballs. I choose Padme for some trade bait and ended up with a couple other Uncommons to either cut up for customs or build bigger armies with. It was a good time playing with the ridiculous combinations this type of build offers. In the end I was glad that I used Wedge who was a last minute change for me. I had Sith Sidious and Leia, Rebel Hero prior but thought that Wedge's Evade was better than the Renewal and the extra 2 movement from Leia. Not once did the game last long enough for Yoda to run out of Force and he already moves quite far, so the movement really wasn't needed. Evade however played a big part for this squad and really helped.

Next week is Iron Man Dynamic Dou - 3 Tournaments - 3 squads - 1 Iron Man!!!!

Post subject: Re: ACME Games - 200pts Dream Team 12-4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:55 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Hahaha, nice work Bryan. StriderRe should ran Nom Anor instead of Nyna....would've kept you from Galloping through all those AAs. :P

Post subject: Re: ACME Games - 200pts Dream Team 12-4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:29 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yeah Nom would have definitely been a stopper for my Yoda squad, but Brian was using Mandalore just like me to conscript the Captain's CE and that is a lot of points to tie up...