logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 200 Pt Tourney @ Deuling Grounds in Toronto
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:40 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

My first, IRL Tourney since like.. Kotor release!

I was running A Grevious centered Squad:

GG DAC
IG Lancer
IG-86 x3
IG 100 Magna
San
Gha
BDO
Rocket BD
BD x2
Uggy x3

Map: Chancellor's SS

3 of my games were against a trio of young kids, I won't go into detail, needless to say I won 3 games.

my Second Gamed paired me against Yik, who was also running a Grevious Squad.
GG DAC
Chameleon Droid x3!!
Gha
BDO
BD x16

yup.. 16 BDs.. 3 Chameleons.. ugh..

We played on the Chancellor's SS, I set up on the left, and moved everything into the gambit area.
However yik had set up, splitting his BDs between the top and bottom of the map, so I couldn't strafe a huge long line of them. He also had the Chameleons run down the top corridor at me, meaning by the second round, he had shots on the IG-86s, but was still out of range for me to base them.
The lancer was able to strafe a few BDs that were in the throne room, but eventually, the remaining BDs in there managed to whittle away the Lancer to the point that where it was going to be very useful for me to use him, he was dead :(
I lost init, and though I tried to block off the Lancer with an Ug, I couldn't prevent him from getting a clear LOS on it. amazingly, he rolled over 14 twice, which was enough to finish it off :( A common theam was the BDs hitting something atleast once per twin, no matter what he was shooting at!
near the end, it was his
Grev DAC, Chameleon Droid about 8 or so BDs, the BDO and Gha, vs my Grev, IG 86 @ 30, a few Ugs, and the BDO.
Not the best situation for me.
But I won init, and managed to up to the Chameleon and Took it out using the IG and Grevious, however I ended up leaving Grevious and the IG both out in the open.. I tried to block off the IG with a handy Ugg.. but the pot shots would not be denied, and the IG fell. Amazingly I kept things together, and Grev and the BDO successfully took out the enemy while gaining gambit. slowly I whittled him down to his Grevious (70), Gha and a BDO vs my Grevious (40) and a BDO.
I had been steadily gaining Gambit each round, and we had made it to the 8th round!
Grevious had a shot on the enemy BDO.. now I could have moved to get a no cover shot.. but that would cause me to leave the door open, And I really didn't want to do that. So Grevious shoots his lightsaber.. I rolled a 7... and thet stupid BDO has a 21 in cover!! Grrr.
More maneuvering.. I trade my BDO for his Gha.. but my Grevious is down to 20.. and hasn't got far to run to.. his 70 hp Grevious bases me, and go to the 9th round.. I lose init, and thus the game.
Tallying the points.. at the init roll, I had 192.. I was killing the BDO away from victory.. :(

In the end there were 3 deciding factors/events that caused me to lose;
1. Decently rolling BDs (16 of them too!)
2. Lost the init that cause me to lose the Lancer
3. Grevious not being able to kill the BDO

All in all, Yik played a great game, and successfully prevented me from using the Strafe on the IG Lancer very well. Yik went on to be undefeated and go 4-0 taking first. I tied for second, but due to SoS, ended 3rd.

GG DAC is a powerful commander. Yik faced a YV Squad, lead by Lah, a NR Han/Kyle/Shado/Wedge, and an Imp SS with exploding Kel Dors.

Fact of the matter is 3 pt Droids twinning @ +8 is nuts.. when you've got 16 of them.. evade, high def, or even SS isn't going to hold them off for long.

Perhaps in a future build I would drop the 3rd IG-86 for 6 more BDs, or even 2 IGs for a Chameleon and 3 BDs, all those shots are sure handy some days.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY