logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Lafayette, IN. 200 Point "Road Trip" to the Game Preserve!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've been planning to make a trip up from Indianapolis to the Game Preserve in Lafayette, but getting sick ruined my chance of making it for the 150 two weeks ago... Thankfully it gave me a perfect excuse for the hour and twenty minute drive up, and the hour and twenty minute drive back that I managed to do today! :P

I didn't know what to expect, so I went with a boring IG-86 squad (I don't plan to use them again in 200 any time soon...)

My Squad:
General Grievous, Droid Army Commander
IG-86 Assassin Droid x5
IG-100 MagnaGuard
Gha Nachkt
San Hill
Battle Droid Officer
Battle Droid x3
Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

My Map:
Hardboard

I had forgotten to bring my Ruined Base map, otherwise I would've gone with that. My plan of action was to pick my opponents map if I ever won the map roll... Thankfully, I didn't ;)

Game #1: Spencer

His Squad:
General Grievous, Droid Army Commander
X-1 Viper Droid
Wat Tambor (Super Battle Droid x2)
Chameleon Droid
IG-86 Assassin Droid
San Hill
Battle Droid Officer

His Map:
Chancellors Starship

Spencer won the map roll, so I happily took the left side for first round gambit. That also forced his X-1 to take the long route around the top half of the map, giving me plenty of time to squeeze my squad into the middle gambit room. The fact I out-activated him just made matters worse. He played his squad well, but his droids never stood a chance

1-0

Game #2: Les (LESHIPPY)

His Squad:
Mace Windu
Yoda on Kybuck
Lobot (Medical Droid, Ugo x2)
Captain Panaka
Twi'lek Bodyguard
R2-D2, Astromech Droid
Mas Amedda
Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

His Map:
Hardboard

Les won the map roll, and I let him pick/set up first (hoping to pull a LoS on a key piece early on). Sadly, I had no such luck since Les took the right side and set up in the Commander Center. Thankfully, that gave me plenty of room to advance with a staggered pattern!

As the second turn came along, I moved Grievous too far up, and Les took a chance to unlock one of the doors and rush Yobuck out 16 squares to kill an Ugnaught, a Battle Droid, and hitting/critting Grievous for 60!! I knew he'd swap out Mace on his next turn, so I "shot" for 30 (he failed his block), and I ran away 6 squares putting Grievous at 20 HP (looking back, I should have ran 12!! :P)

Mace swapped in, and after taking a twin-aoo from an angry IG-86, he killed my Grievous... Things weren't looking up, but Les had used all his heavy hitters, so I thought I might have a good chance at putting some damage on Windu. Again, no luck on this end. Three of my four shots missed, needing 9's. But I wasn't about to let that get in the way!

Les won the next initiative and swapped out the now-bleeding Windu (he had taken 90) for Yobuck, who was more than happy to rush back where Gha/San and my BDO were; killing my BDO and leaving San and Gha at 10 HP each.

At this point in time, I was running out of options, so I retreated my entire squad in order to deal with Yobuck. After I managed to pull the Jedi Master down to 10 HP, it came to the biggest initiative yet! Thankfully, I won it and was able to combine fire with Gha and my Battle Droids to kill that little green man!

Time was running out and Les still had a small lead, so I advanced on the Command Center, hoping to kill just enough to scrape by a victory. Les had other plans in mind, and brought the battle to me. Sadly, he forgot Panaka couldn't swap R2 and Windu, leaving his activated R2 based to an IG-86, and his Panaka in the open. I made short work of the two and that was game!

It was by far the most fun I've had in a long time! (besides the odd game verses TINT/Ruhk. Those silly Canadians...)

2-0

Game #3: I cant remember the name of the guy to save my life... Bah!

His Squad:
Boba Fett, Mercenary Commander
Lobot (T3-M4, Ugnaught Demolitionist)
Rodian Hunt Master
Mandalorian Scout x3
Czerka Scientist x2
Human Bodyguard

His Map:
Ruined Base

He won map and I was more than happy to take the left side! I out activated him (not good for those Scouts), which gave me the perfect chance to move in without worry of being shot at. At the start of the second turn, his Lobot opened up the door on my side of the map giving his Boba a chance to use GMA and double an IG-86 without cover. Thankfully, he only did 30... Which sadly left Boba in quite a pickle. I waited it out, and promptly killed his Fett once he was done activating... This also gave me LoS to kill his Lobot and a Scout.

From there on in, there wasn't a whole lot he could do. He needed 18's on my IG-86's in cover, which he just couldn't roll. Besides using his Boba too aggressively, he played it well.

Final record: 3-0

I had a blast, and it was great to meet some of the "players up north" as we southerners call them. I hope to go back again, but I doubt it'll be any time soon...

Again, the Dark Side of The Force has proved that its stronger than the Light Side. My search for a not-so-secret apprentice continues... I hope to find one with a Drivers License before I return to their LGS!

May the force be with you!

-Joruus

<Joruus> - (its VASSAL, so you'll crit or roll a 1)
*** 1d20B = 1 *** <Yodarulz>

Post subject: Re: Lafayette, IN. 200 Point "Road Trip" to the Game Preserve!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:18 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

It was nice to have some new, well different, blood on a Tuesday night.

The last person the Joruus played was Nate, not a SWMgamers member yet.
The first person he played some of you know as SpecJedi. He hasn't played since before GenCon and hadn't even seen the new set yet. Not making excuses for Spec, but i was glad when he texted me 15 minutes before the tournament started asking me to put together a squad using new stuff for him to use.

This was my first tournament running the yoda buck and swapping mace.

I went 0-3 which was the first time that had happeened in long time.

I faced Carlos and a swarm squad of QuiGon, ObiWan, the Queen, Panaka, Typho and a butt load of naboo soldiers.
-While i was able to plow through at least 14 naboo soldiers, Yodabuck and mace just couldn't dish out enough damage to take down the major characters. At this point I realized that some sort of healers would be good for my squad.

You have read Joruus acounts of our game which are accurate. Again Yodabuck and Mace just didn't have enough damage output to take down his army of IG-86 droids.

Then Spec took me down.

Now I am refineing my sqaud and looking at ditching mace along with a body guard. This should allow me to move in two heavier medium hitters in and mabye a medic.