Mandalore

1. Tint
2. Luke
3. empire
4. patrick
5. gunerwars
6. darthraven
7. chabelo

game 1- luke. It was close. Really Luke got lucky. Its ok, If i had killed the 10 hp Kyle, I would have lost by 1 point.

game 2- A win is a win. Woot, my first bye on here.

game 3- Tint. The fire power was too much, i guess I had a little chance to win this. i was able to move so he had to move the assiason in order to not get theat doube in the bigginning o fthe game. I scored 77 points. He blew up warmaster. And everyone else.

Post subject: Re: 200 Vassal tou7rnament 11/23
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:29 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

To elaborate a little bit on My game with Empire Jeff, he had VJH's, I had 10 damage shooters, T3, Mara and Kyle.... Had I won the following initiative it would have been his warmaster against the following:
3 ugs
General Dodonna
General Wedge Antilles (50)
T3-M4
Talon Karrde (20)

As it stood, I won a close one and was saved by the bell so to speak. I would only have had to Flamethrower the warmaster 14 more times to win, however. Also I suppose an 11 on an init roll could have also saved me, but the game probably would have been his if time had not run out.

In my second game I played against Java Junkie. It was a close one and he had to leave due to a family emergency. before that happened we experienced some major lag issues on his part, and some miscommunications. I think the game was going well when he had to leave, but who would have won is still anyone's guess.

The tourney was running a little too late for me, I had to drop after the second round. Sorry to my round 3 opponent for denying you the chance to defeat me.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:59 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I figured I'd be seeing a lot of GGDAC squads, so I built a squad that could handle most other squads and still cause headaches (via Molecular Shielding) for my opponents' Sep Droids.

Grievous' Viper
57 General Grievous, Droid Army Commander
46 X-1 Viper Droid
51 IG-86 Assassin Droid x3
16 IG-100 MagnaGuard
10 San Hill
09 Battle Droid Officer
04 Battle Droid
06 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

199 pts, 11 activations. Map choice was RotS Starship.

Game 1 vs Gurneywars
He played Kyle, Han GH, Wedge, Garm, and brought in an ERC and a GA Scout. We played on Starship.
He made 2 placement errors in the first round of the game with Han and Kyle, and he never really recovered from them. My Viper put 30dmg on Han to end the first round. Then I won initiative to start the 2nd round, so my Viper unloaded with 4 attacks on Han, who couldn't evade more than 2 of the shots. A couple rounds later, Kyle died after throwing a grenade.

Game 2 vs DarthRaven
He played Darths Krayt, Talon, and Nihl. We played on Starship.
I had to be careful about the always-dangerous Force Lightning. I used my MagnaGuard to twin and activate Talon to start the 3rd round. Nihl then stepped up to zap my Magnaguard, but was then hit for 120 damage in a single activation from my Viper :shock: and failed his deflect save. Talon died in the following round, and Krayt in the round after that. The Sith just couldn't deal with the heavy damage output of these Sep droids.

Game 3 vs empirejeff
He played Warmaster, 5 Vong JHs, and T3-M4. We played on Coruscant (his map, so I started on the left)
I used my Viper to gain gambit the first turn and open the door; in this position the Viper also served as a very large roadblock which slowed down his advancing JHs pretty effectively. During our game I joked that I should've taken a Tank Droid (with DR10)!! :D Jeff made a good move with T3 to flame my Viper, which was adjacent to my BD and an Assassin. But then I responded by systematically pouring damage into 1 JH at a time, needing 2s to hit. It wasn't pretty. :( The Vong's Crab Armor is effective vs 20dmg-dealers, but it doesn't help quite so much when every attack is dealing 30dmg; as a result, the Vong fell before they could do much more than kill my Viper and an Assassin Droid.

So I went 3-0 and won the tournament. It was fun to play, because I haven't used a Viper Droid in a long time--and its 120 damage per activation is pretty insane too. However, I'm concerned that the 200pt meta has become somewhat restricted, with the GGDAC squads having so much power. All 3 of my opponents played well, but none of their squads could handle the extreme damage output of the Sep droids. I guess we'll see what kind of effective counter-squads and creative counter-strategies develop...they always do. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:30 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

thereisnotry wrote:
I figured I'd be seeing a lot of GGDAC squads, so I built a squad that could handle most other squads and still cause headaches (via Molecular Shielding) for my opponents' Sep Droids.

Grievous' Viper
46 X-1 Viper Droid
16 IG-100 MagnaGuard
10 San Hill
09 Battle Droid Officer
04 Battle Droid

Game 1 vs Gurneywars
He played Kyle, Han GH, Wedge, Garm, and brought in an ERC and a GA Scout. We played on Starship.
He made 2 placement errors in the first round of the game with Han and Kyle, and he never really recovered from them. My Viper put 30dmg on Han to end the first round. Then I won initiative to start the 2nd round, so my Viper unloaded with 4 attacks on Han, who couldn't evade more than 2 of the shots. A couple rounds later, Kyle died after throwing a grenade.

Game 2 vs DarthRaven
I had to be careful about the always-dangerous Force Lightning. I used my MagnaGuard to twin and activate Talon to start the 3rd round. Nihl then stepped up to zap my Magnaguard, but was then hit for 120 damage in a single activation from my Viper :shock: and failed his deflect save. Talon died in the following round, and Krayt in the round after that. The Sith just couldn't deal with the heavy damage output of these Sep droids.

Game 3 vs empirejeff
He played Warmaster, 5 Vong JHs, and T3-M4. We played on Coruscant (his map, so I started on the left)
I used my Viper to gain gambit the first turn and open the door; in this position the Viper also served as a very large roadblock which slowed down his advancing JHs pretty effectively. During our game I joked that I should've taken a Tank Droid (with DR10)!! :D Jeff made a good move with T3 to flame my Viper, which was adjacent to my BD and an Assassin. But then I responded by systematically pouring damage into 1 JH at a time, needing 2s to hit. It wasn't pretty. :( The Vong's Crab Armor is effective vs 20dmg-dealers, but it doesn't help quite so much when every attack is dealing 30dmg; as a result, the Vong fell before they could do much more than kill my Viper and an Assassin Droid.

So I went 3-0 and won the tournament. It was fun to play, because I haven't used a Viper Droid in a long time--and its 120 damage per activation is pretty insane too. However, I'm concerned that the 200pt meta has become somewhat restricted, with the GGDAC squads having so much power. All 3 of my opponents played well, but none of their squads could handle the extreme damage output of the Sep droids. I guess we'll see what kind of effective counter-squads and creative counter-strategies develop...they always do. :)

I wonder what the odds were of me winning that match.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:36 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

empirejeff wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

Grievous' Viper
46 X-1 Viper Droid
16 IG-100 MagnaGuard
10 San Hill
09 Battle Droid Officer
04 Battle Droid

Game 1 vs Gurneywars

Game 2 vs DarthRaven

Game 3 vs empirejeff

I wonder what the odds were of me winning that match.

The odds of you winning were very, very low, and that's entirely due to squad matchup...unfortunately, it had nothing to do with how you played, so there is very little you can learn from the match either. If anything, I'd suggest using Ravaged Base or Rancor Pit (both very melee-friendly) rather than Chancellor's Starship, which really hindered your JH's approach. I out-activated you (even with all those Ugs) which meant that my Assassin droids always had Opportunist. I needed 2s to hit your JHs in cover, and 3s to hit Warmaster. With each shot doing 30 dmg, there was just no way you could last long enough.

I hope that more variety shows up in 200pts soon; but right now, it seems to me that Seps pretty much have a strangle-hold on the 200pt meta. I hope I'm wrong. :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:27 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

How would that change the fact that their was big fat droid in my way.

What if I took out 2 hunter and put in boba enforcer and uggie?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:34 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

empirejeff wrote:
How would that change the fact that their was big fat droid in my way.

What if I took out 2 hunter and put in boba enforcer and uggie?

I assume you're talking about my suggestion of changing maps here. I'm simply suggesting it because I had a free round of shots at you (in which I killed 2 JHs) while you positioned your JHs for the momentum strikes next round. The problem was that on the Chancellor's Starship with me on the left, you had no safe (or hidden) positions that were 6 squares or less away from where my droid was parked. I could just sit there in gambit and let you come to me, knowing that you had no way of attacking me without first ending your turn in LOS. You played your squad very well on this map, and probably made no mistakes whatsoever in that way (none that I saw, anyway). The problem was that the map made it harder for you than was necessary.

There are a lot more approach paths for you on Ruined Base, which both keep you hidden and which also allow you get within 6 of my Viper without exposing yourself to fire. And with all your Uggies, you wouldn't have to worry about override on all those many doors. Rancor Pit would've been less helpful to your squad than Ruined Base, and I'm not entirely sure if that map would've made much of a difference.

Regardless, of that, though, the squad matchup was not in your favor. Even on Ruined Base, and assuming your JHs could charge the Viper without having taken any damage first, they would've still been facing ten 30dmg shots, which is enough to kill at least 2 or 3 of them, assuming all their armor saves are good.

I just suggested the map change becuase I thought that a more melee-friendly map might have helped you out a bit more, that's all. :)