logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150pt Bellevue, WA report
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:51 pm 
General
General

I figured I would see a lot of General Obi-Wan and Grievous DAC squads, so I decided to play some heavy Disruptive.

54 Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
25 Jaina Solo
23 General Wedge Antilles
9 General Dodonna
6 Snivvian Fringer
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(150pts. 8 activations)

Map: Imperial Base (Chancellor's Starship)

FIRST ROUND
vs. Joel playing
64 Yoda, Jedi Master
38 Wookiee Elite Warrior x2
18 Clone Commander Gree
14 Wookiee Freedom Fighter
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

on his map: Muunilist

We noticed as we were setting up that one-on-one, Yoda and Kyle are a pretty even match. It seemed like it would come down to support. I deferred side choice and ended up on the left. I advanced Kyle and Jaina up the middle while leaving my shooters behind in the big room for Mobile Attacks. He moved Yoda, R2, and a WEW through the rooms at the top and kept everything else well-hidden.

The first action of the game occurred when I was able to move Kyle 6 and use Grenades 40 on Yoda (hitting R2 and a WEW). R2 was the only one who failed the save, and he bodyguarded it on the WEW. But then Joel was a nice enough guy to point out when he realized it that Kyle was Disrupting Yoda when he threw the Grenades, so the Wookiee wasn't a Bodyguard (and therefore R2 was dead).

He charged Kyle with 2 WEWs and Yoda, and Kyle spent all of his Force points on Ripostes. The Wookiees really tore Kyle apart (needing 7s, even without Force Valor). I won the crucial init when everyone was in base and was able to get off a Triple with Kyle before he died. I ended up having Yoda at 10 HP and both WEWs dead when Kyle died. Jaina and Han were able to mop up after that.

1 - 0

SECOUND ROUND
vs. Blake (I can't remember his screen name...) playing
23 Clone Commander Bacara
20 Commander Gree
80 Republic Commando - Sev x5
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

on his map: Starship

I deferred setup and started on the right. I set up everything but Dodonna and the Snivvian in the room. He had set up most of his stuff in the airlock(?) at the top left of the map. I was able to hide all of my pieces in the smaller doorway of the room.

Basically I outactivated, then charged Kyle and Jaina up the middle of the map into gambit. I won the next init and was able to run Kyle 6 and get off a Grenades 40 shot on a cluster of 3 Sevs standing by the corner of the gambit wall--1 or 2 of the hits landed. This left Kyle pretty exposed, however. He took 50 damage before I remembered that he had Evade (doh!). My Ugnaughts were able to blow up the doors to the room with my shooters so Han and Wedge could make some Mobile shots at the non-Super Stealth/Disrupted portions of his squad. Kyle and Jaina swept around and took out the remaining Sevs one-by-one. I left my Snivvian exposed at one point, and he evaded 4 shots in a row. :) Again, I won most of the important initiatives. This didn't end up being very close.

2 - 0

THIRD ROUND
vs. Charles (Omnus) playing
55 Master Kota
25 Juhani
21 GenoHaradan Assassin
18 Lando Calrissian, Dashing Scoundrel
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
5 Caamasi Noble

on our map: Imperial Base (Chancellor's Starship)

I deferred setup and started on the right. I was able to get Jaina up for first round gambit while Kyle moved into the room halfway up the hall. In the second round, he towed Kota into gambit up against the wall inside the room. After he was done activating, I was able to blow up the central door and run Kyle 8 squares (with a Force point) and Grenades 40 on Kota and R2. R2 failed the save and Kota's Repulse was effectively neutered. I won the next init, and pulled off another round of Grenades on the GenoHaradan, Lando, and an Ugnaught (only the Ugnaught made the save).

Kyle then proceeded to get completely surrounded and beat on. (like, all 8 spaces filled with enemies). He barely survived the round, despite a Poisoned Blad crit from the Assassin and a Vicious crit from Juhani. I won init again and was able to get off a parting Triple Attack which finished off Lando and the Assassin. Kota was hurting pretty badly at this point, too (after getting Riposted and shot a bit). I hestitated to run Jaina in to attack him, because I feared the Repulse--but I should have realized his entire squad was within 5 squares, so I was pretty safe from that threat.

After he finished off Kyle with a crit from Kota (that's 3 crits on Kyle), he ran Juhani at Jaina. Guess what, another oh-so-Vicious 20. Now Jaina was down to 10 HP and Kyle was dead. Han hit Kota again, and brought him down to 10 HP, but Wedge couldn't finish him off (needing a 19 to hit him in cover). He won the next init (beating my 19 with a 20). He killed Jaina and hid Kota. I carefully moved up all of my shooters in range to hit Kota next round. He won init again (with another 20 I think) and based Han with Juhani. I took the AoO to shoot at Kota and missed. Then Wedge went to attack and missed also. He won the next init, and Han died. I ran Wedge into base with Kota and combined with both my other shooters for the kill. Combined with getting gambit every round, this put me at 149 points--so close. :(

I actually won init in the last round, but my three 10 Damage shooters couldn't take out a full HP Juhani even if all 3 rolled crits. He killed Wedge that round for the win (if I had made my Avoid Defeat saves, I would have won, but I failed the first roll). Super close game, despite getting critted to death and losing a lot of important inits.

2 - 1

FINAL ROUND
vs. Aaron (Slie) playing
57 General Grievous, Droid Army Commander
32 HK-47
34 IG-86 Assassin Droid x2
10 San Hill
8 Battle Droid x2

on my map: Imperial Base (Chancellor's Starship)

I got stuck with side choice, so I chose the right (advancing through the throne room). We realized early on that his squad had a major problem with my squad due to Mobile Attack. He wasn't able to get any shots on my minis. I systematically took out his Ugnaughts and Battle Droids and I hit one 40 Damage shot on HK-47.

Eventually I brought Kyle out for some Grenades on Grievous (which missed), but I got to Disrupt one round of Droid shots, which was nice. Grievous ran and hid while Kyle took a beating before I could finish off his Droids. It was only 3 or 4 Evade saves after I ran out of Force points that kept Kyle alive. Aaron conceeded when all he had left was Grievous and San.

3 - 1

I got first pick from a shared booster for finishing 3rd, and I ended up pulling Anakin on STAP, so I was happy about that. I really wish I could have faced Flea in the final though...

Post subject: Re: 150pt Bellevue, WA report
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:57 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice report, and congrats on your pull. However...
shinja wrote:
The first action of the game occurred when I was able to move Kyle 6 and use Grenades 40 on Yoda (hitting R2 and a WEW). R2 was the only one who failed the save, and he bodyguarded it on the WEW. But then Joel was a nice enough guy to point out when he realized it that Kyle was Disrupting Yoda when he threw the Grenades, so the Wookiee wasn't a Bodyguard (and therefore R2 was dead).

Your opponent couldn't have used Bodyguard even if Yoda wasn't within 6 of Kyle. Bodyguard only works for attacks, not special abilities. "Whenever an adjacent character would take damage from an attack..."

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: 150pt Bellevue, WA report
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:04 pm 
General
General

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Nice report, and congrats on your pull. However...
shinja wrote:

Your opponent couldn't have used Bodyguard even if Yoda wasn't within 6 of Kyle. Bodyguard only works for attacks, not special abilities. "Whenever an adjacent character would take damage from an attack..."

Lol, you're right. Sometimes I forget aspects of these new-fangled abilities like Bodyguard...