logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: KotoR release tournament at Owensboro, KY
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:12 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well we had 10 people turn out, including 3 or 4 new people who made a 2-hour drive to play just for the event, which was cool.

The format was 100 pt. constructed.
My squad - Talon, Han Smuggler, Jaina, Wedge
Map - Nightclub (I wanted to run something with good angle shots that the other people aren't familiar with. I always like trying to expose my fellow players to some of the other maps.)

Game 1 vs. a kid playing Luke Jedi and a hodge-podge of non-uniques like Rebel Pilot and Jawa Scout. I lost map roll and the kid picked my map. I went really easy on him, and gave up several key attacks, but to be honest he just didn't have a chance with the stuff he had. No offense at all intended. I hope he keeps playing, cause with some better synergy he could have beat me.

Game 2 vs. a kid who was 0-1 (that's just how it breaks down with 10 players). I won map roll so we played on Nightclub again. It was a tough game. He had Zayne and Mira and some other stuff. I managed to pull out the victory though.

So now I'm 2-0 with a horrible SoS. Both my opponents were 0-2, so I knew I had to win round 3 in order to get 1st or 2nd, as there were 3 others who were 2-0.

Round 3 I played against a guy running Vong. He won map and we set up on Rancor Pit. I couldn't make a single thud bug save, though I did win initiative most rounds. It came down to Wedge trying to kill a 40 HP Warmaster. It's just not in the cards.

I finished 3-1 in fourth place. Overall, I really liked the team I built, but I think it will be tougher at 150 or 200 with more support pieces. I didn't roll a single 11 the entire event.

4th place was good enough to net me a booster, and I pulled Mira. So I went home happy.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: KotoR release tournament at Owensboro, KY
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:11 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I've almost completely givin up on Talon Karrde. In all the times I've used him (with Recon on almost every iniative roll) I've never got an 11. My favorite miss was the rolls of 10,12. Almost tossed the dice after that one. I think the only reserves piece I've ever had any luck with was San Hill. After Kazadan came out I almost gave him a try just to see if things would stay that bad with 4 good numbers per role. Of course the last time I played in a 100 point tourny my opponent hit Mon Mothma's 20 on the first two turns. Nothing like practically starting the game at a 40 point disadvantage.

At least your release tourny had 10 people. Mine only managed three. My Kun and Raks squad won both its games although if my first opponent had been better skilled and used combine fire for his two 30 damage shooters he'd have potentially been able to drop 2 raks a round and made it a little more interesting.