logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Sithfan @ PAX
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:22 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I thought I'd take Chuckafett's cue and try to do a recap of my games as well. This will probably be my biggest post ever, so I'm not surprised that it'll seem like I'm rambling on... I was playing my Boba's Scouting squad using the Tatooine junkyard as my map.

--Boba's Scouting--
57 Boba Fett, Mercenary Commander
57 Mandalorian Scout x3
13 Czerka Scientist
5 Caamasi Noble
18 Ugnaught Demolitionist x6
(150pts. 12 activations)

I was the one with the custom Scouts:

My first game was against (I completely forgot his name) someone who played a B&B squad with Raxus Primes, Vader IC and a felucian stormtrooper officer. We played on his map (Damaged Base) and I set up outside on the ships. He made a couple of errors early on, which cost him his high defense troopers and he was playing catch up for the rest of the game.

Second game was against Sarah using her Vader JH, Aurra, and Boba Enforcer. I lost map, again, which was Coruscant this time. I set up on the tables and chairs and moved to protective gambit early on. I missled her Boba with mine, and found a couple lines to him, weakening him early. She had to charge up and get some points, so I started using my uggos as walls to protect Boba from Vader (who is really hard to get damage to stick at 27 defense, lightsaber deflect, and dark armor). She almost killed boba one turn, but I won initiative and flew away shooting, while maintaing my uggo wall. She was alot of fun to play against and her "doh!" die cracked me up.

Third Game was against Robin's Speedy Han squad. He won map :S so I picked the right side where I'd have the most cover. Robin was able to pick off all of my gambit collectors throughout the game (I didn't notice that there was a gambit square outside the base until later), but I was able to get a couple of shots on the snowspeeder and dodonna to take them out of the game. I started advancing more and more, but I was still moving too slow, as we ran out of time before I could blow open the door protecting his gambit collectors, the game ended with Robin having a 5 point lead at time (so close!).

Fourth game was against Warren from Edmonton, AB. He was playing Mara, Kyle JB, Dodonna, Wedge, Luke FS (on Kyle), and some uggos. I lost map, yet again, so we played on the Death Star. I chose to play on the cell side in the main room. I was able to get off an early missile on Kyle (but I should have shot at him using jolt) and he made his save. we both played very defensively until his Kyle charged into my room doing 40 against one of my scouts and mara charged at Boba hoping to win initiative. I was able to weaken kyle with my adjacent opportunist shots (he was trying to disrupt the czerka's twin effect) and he was down to 30 life. He won init and killed one of my scouts and did another 40 to the other, and attacked Boba. His dice failed him as he rolled 2 Crits and 2 Misses. Boba was down to 40 and shot at Mara and flew away over some green squares. I based Mara with my 3rd scout and did 40 damage to her and she was down to 30 health. I killed Kyle with the remaining scout in the room. Warren won init again and was able to kill Boba but took 20 damage as an aoo (Mara down to 10), but he had to use a force point to charge at Boba and hit both times. I towards into green to take some shots on Mara, but she evaded both shots saving her. I moved closer with the other scout and gave cover with uggos and moved the czerka within range (but still keeping her in cover). Warren won init and killed the close scout and again made her evades she was now out of force though and based by uggos and my last scout was 6 squares away from mara that and then Dodonna was trying to get a shot on an uggo or move to center...then time was called. Warren won by points, close game that could have gone either way with one more round, but thems the breaks.

After the Swiss I was 2 - 2 and placed 7th, Warren was placed 2 so we got a rematch.

Warren won map again, so I set up the same as last game. I gave Warren some obvious bait (one of my scouts in the middle on some green) so that he had to base it, but I'd get some shots on whomever was there. It was too tempting so Kyle came out and killed my poor scout. In the next round I was able to jolt Kyle with boba while doing 30 damage, my scouts were able to do some more damage so Kyle was injured so much he had to hide for the remainder of the game. I slowly moved Boba along the bottom of the map while Mara moved along the top of the map and was able to luckily hit Kyle during the last round twice, as Warren's dice failed him and he missed all his evades and one jolt (even with mettle) costing him the game. Very close games that could have gone either way. Warren was a fierce competitor, that could have gone all the way if it wasn't for his unlucky rolls.

I then played against Curtis (Tarzan) whom also won map choice, so we played on the Death Star and I set up the same as the last 2 games. Curtis played a similar squad to Warren but with Jaina and Han Smuggler instead of Kyle. I hardly ever got a shot on Mara, I even tried the same bait tactic on him, but he won initiative and moved out of sight. He kept Han, Jaina, and Wedge in the hanger for the entire game holding the door open with a caamasi noble (guarded by Luke FS) so he was able to mobile out and take some shots if I ever let someone be seen. And Han smuggler is a really scary piece when it has moblie attacks for 40 damage. It was a tough game but Curtis came out ahead with a 20 point lead after time. Even though it was a tough match, we were both laughing the entire time, as we play against each other all the time, but coincidently never played our squads against each other, even though we both helped in creating the squads.

Chuckafett and I were the semi-finalists, with almost the same squads, but he had a better opponent percentage, so he got 3rd and I got 4th. I couldn't have been happier because I wanted the clone trooper on gelagrub anyways. :D I also pulled 2 VRs out of my 3 packs Jolee Bindu and Mira.

I watched a little of the final game, but spent most of the time trading and talking with the other players. Overall, I had alot of fun the entire day (even without using my map at all). I've said it before, but Shinja did a great job in organizing the play and keeping it well paced, and I'm hoping that I'll get to play against everyone again sometime.

Post subject: Re: Sithfan @ PAX
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:15 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Excellent report, Sithfan!

I remember Sarah and her "DOH" die from Gencon. She played in the Hoth Battle I helped with, then in the Tile Wars I judged, and the Dynamic Duo as well.

Excellent job with a squad I am using this week in a 200 pt. format, but adding in Canderous to make it so much more fun! Great job, and thank you for the report!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:58 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Great report. I had forgotten that you never got to use your borrowed map!
Also, very glad that you are happy with the Gelagrub. I was kicking myself on the way home for being a heal and not asking if you had your heart set on one of the two choices before I picked. But, it looks as if it worked out well!
As I said, a pleasure to meet you! I'll do my best to swing by CRToys in the next month or two and bother you and Tarzan!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:08 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dvader831 wrote:
Excellent report, Sithfan!

I remember Sarah and her "DOH" die from Gencon. She played in the Hoth Battle I helped with, then in the Tile Wars I judged, and the Dynamic Duo as well.

Yeah I went out and bought me one for a buck after seeing hers. :P

Great report, and I really like the customs. I am going to have to learn how to do that.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:28 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Nice write up Mike. I can't believe you never won map. I gotta ask who did you borrow the Tatooine map from? If it's Ryan's I'd be stoked because I think I gave him that one, and it would almost be like I was there.

That is brutal that you had to play Warren back to back (he's so good), I'm glad to hear you used your Sith powers and had his die betray him! Revenge of the Cloaked!

Last edited by R5Don4 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:42 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I guess it was your old map then Don! :D Too bad I didn't get to use it, but it was with me the whole time (Under the other map that we were using).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:45 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Sweet. Thank you to the Brazillian ebay seller that tossed it in for free.