logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: PAX Diary 2008
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:28 pm 
General
General

So PAX doesn't officially start for another few hours, but I figured I'd get my diary started, since I can't think about anything else right now anyway... :)

Last night my wife (Bobbie Jo), 4.5 month old son (Dale), and I picked Drew (Ulic Qel-Droma) up from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. It was kind of interesting because Bobbie Jo had never met Drew, and I hadn't seen him for over a year, so I wasn't sure I'd recognize him. We found each other okay though, and after some quick introductions, headed home (he's staying with us for the next few nights).

Unfortunately, before we even got fully back on the highway, I managed to clip a big orange construction pylon that was out in the road (the kind with the blinking reflector on top, that should be safely off the road on the shoulder) and knock off my right side mirror. This is where I'll insert a picture of Drew with the passenger window down holding my broken mirror so the lone cord attaching it to the car doesn't snap and send it flying (also to avoid more scratches to the side of the car than are already there).

Drew was pretty wiped out (it was 3 hours later for him), so we didn't get any games in last night. This morning, I woke up early and we were able to get a game in before I had to go to work. In my efforts to give Drew a nice morale boost before the tournament, I managed to get a key crit and win all of the important initiatives to squeak out an undeserved victory. ;)

This morning at work I've been patrolling the boards and talking PAX stuff with Aaron (Slie)--he works in a building that's like 20 meters from mine. I think Bobbie Jo took Drew to an LGS to buy some dice. Tonight is when League Play starts (as does my convention-level judging career), so hopefully I'll have something more interesting to report then (and some pictures).

Post subject: Re: PAX Diary 2008
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:14 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Hey in all seriousness, good luck to you guys.

Shinja you really have your work cut out for you with judging. If I may offer two pieces of advice:

1. Tell everyone at the start of event not to make any important decisions they're not sure about before consulting a judge (ie who the winner is; if one of the players was playing slow; how a particular piece works; etc.)

2. Watch for cheaters/play mistakes. I found myself having to intervene in games where a play mistake occurred, and I tended to give people the benefit of the doubt during the masters. Aside from the d20 issue, I don't think anyone cheated on purpose.

I would love nothing more than to be wrong about the turn-out for this event and there be 70-80 people there. I just wish I could have attended, and probably would have with more notice. But I digress.

In any case, I look forward to reading yours and other people's reports. And good luck to all who compete for the prize! Can't wait to see the stat blocks on some of those unreleased minis! :D

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:25 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I wish all of the SWGamers good luck who are participating and hope one of you guys takes the title ^_^

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:34 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

MAN! I wish I was there. Best of luck to you all!!

:maul:

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:16 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
In any case, I look forward to reading yours and other people's reports. And good luck to all who compete for the prize! Can't wait to see the stat blocks on some of those unreleased minis! :D

I guess I missed the fact that there is "special prize support" for PAX? Can anyone fill me in on that?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:03 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Shinja did a great job judging the event and I had alot of fun at PAX! I met quite a few people and hope to see them again at more tournaments.

I was able to be a semi-finalist with my Boba's Scouting squad, which performed exeptionally well! The repaints are awesome, and I'm sure that pictures will surface soon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:30 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Here's some pics of the trophies that i took with my phone.

1st - Robin

2nd - Curtis/Tarzan

3rd -Chuck/Chuckafett

4th - Mike/Sithfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:37 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

It was a great time and Shinja did a great job.

Everyone out there was really nice and I am excited about next year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:27 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Woah, those trophies actually came out pretty cool looking.

What the heck is the clone on the slug??? lol

Were there stat cards for those as well? Cool stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:00 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Were there stat cards for those as well?

Apparently not.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:47 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

wow. those are actually kinda cool.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:54 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Shinja just wanted to say thanks for judging- you did well judging & keeping things moving. Since I'm posting smthn Ill also say the tournie (my first) was good fun... although I have to say it would've been better with bigger turnout. I certainly wouldn't have made 6th place if there were more than 15 people, but it would've been more fun!!! Good people though and SWM is always fun, right? An organizational fiasco I guess... when I got there the day before the tournie (Fri) for league play NO ONE knew anything about Star Wars minis League or tournament. I got sent to the very small SWM WOTC 'learn-how' booth where the tabletop minis games were being held, and the boy was clueless- he sent me to main WOTC kiosk across the street, they sent me back to boy. Then I was sent to the 'Magic' TCG people (why?). Of course they didnt know about SWM anything. They sent me somewhere else and I spent another hour or two chasing ghosts. The more national tournies the better... but I hope WOTC starts organizing them better. By early evening Shinja, Slie and Robin (congrats Robin!) showed up, and Shinja started getting things moving. So thanks again Shinja- I doubt the tournie on Saturday or the minimal League play that did happen Friday night would've happened without you!

Hmm people are posting what they played so Ill put that here too: 3 Kel Dors w/ Czerka, Moff Nina, Gnrl Veers, Lobot, Mas Amedda and Jabba Crime Lord, and Uggies. Lobot's reinforcements were another KelDor and couple more Ugs. A fellow Canadian (Im pretty sure he said he was Canadian..) beat me (easily) out of the finals...Curtis I think?