logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Taris Map - Should it be DCI legal?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:47 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

I'll be testing it out this next week at a 200 pt. tourney, Dean. I will give you feedback afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will definately be giving my 2 cents when I get to play on it. I also saw some interesting comments from Mapmaker (Christopher West) over on the EvilLeagueofEvil.

Mapmaker wrote:
I'm glad you folks are liking the Taris Undercity map. I designed it to be more balanced and accommodating to different play styles based on the feedback from the Ossus Landing Pad.

I thought about making it darker, and the location certainly would warrant a gloomier presentation, but I decided against it for three main reasons:

1) It's very easy to go too dark once you start adding heavy shadows. The printing process has a tendency to turn 'shadowy' into 'murky' and obscure the details more than it enhances the mood...especially if viewed in dim lighting. I'd rather have people see this one as too bright than experience difficulty reading it.

2) SWM maps often serve double-duty by representing different locations. Since this map has some 'outdoor' areas I didn't want to make them so dark that it could only be used as a night-time map.

3) I might normally be tempted to add deeper shadows at the ends of interior halls that run off the map, but in this case I plan to develop an "Undercity Sewers" map that connects to it, and I want the lighting to be uniform where the tunnels join. This is also why the Taris Undercity map doesn't include a Black Vulkar base, incidentally.

Regarding the issue of DCI legality, I'll be honored if Taris Undercity gets approved. I had competitive play in mind when designing it so that would be a nice affirmation that I succeeded.

On that note, I have a prediction: One of the maps in the next Starter Set will be a pretty comfortable pick for DCI play, while the other will get a mixed reception.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:51 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

C West wrote:
On that note, I have a prediction: One of the maps in the next Starter Set will be a pretty comfortable pick for DCI play, while the other will get a mixed reception.

Well, if there were any questions about a double sided map or not in the new starter, they are answered now! Total sweetness!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, I've played probably about a dozen games on it now, and have both been slaughtered and handed out the slaughtering. The wide-open center is just fantastic, and really creates some interesting matchups. The craziest part, IMO, is the fact that neither side has a good way to QUICKLY approach the opposite side. Unless you tempo-control and can move out at the very end of your round, there is no way either side is getting gambit on the first round, because there's just no where you can hide and still get gambit. You have to have a piece with both Cloaked/Super Stealth AND increased movement in order to get in a spot where you have some cover, which at this point, you'd have to be running a pretty gimmicky squad to pull that off, in which case, you'll probably not have much other success throughout the match.

The lines of sight across the map are really insane, as far as I've found. The broken down walls all over the place are really deceptive, and I've pulled off some nice shots against units with Cloaked because I was able to squeak out an LOS where the opponent forgot it wasn't a solid wall.

After a few different games against the stupid Mando Scouts on maps like Death Star, I'm all for a map that hinders the use of Cloaked a little bit, lol.

So far, I haven't found a reason to NOT allow Taris in DCI play.

And that's awesome info from Chris. Cool to see that he took some of our comments regarding Ossus to heart and applied them here!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:46 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I have about a dozen games in on this map now too and I have won and lost probably an equal amount. I think that this map is great as a result. There are advantages and disadvantages on both sides and melee can perform just as well as a shooter squad. I would definitely vote this for DCI play!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh yeah, in a heart beat. I've only played on it a handful of times, but in my opinion, its one of the most balanced maps out there :)

<Joruus> - (its VASSAL, so you'll crit or roll a 1)
*** 1d20B = 1 *** <Yodarulz>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:57 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

From a first glance and then tough scrutiny by viewing it, I'd say yes. It looks balanced for both Range and Melee, and neither side is the better. I will be getting this map Saturday, and plan on testing it when the Tourny is over with Xanthan. I will have a better opinion then.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:41 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I've only played on it once, but I also watched several games on it, and I think it is not only a balanced map, but it is one of the best maps right now. You're going to pay for Gambit, but that is what makes it a very fun and competitive map.

And LoboStele is right, you can get some crazy early LoS and shots, but there are also plenty of safe spots on both sides as well. And it's Huge friendly.

All we need now is for Huges to all gain the "Stable Footing" SA and we'll be set!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:16 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Absolutely, yes. I think it can easily be supported for all point levels, melee and shooter squads. Plenty of places to hide or charge. Great LOS, but also lots of ways to squeak out cover. I would love to see this one added for DCI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:36 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Squid89 and I have played on the Taris map at least half a dozen times or so, and I think it may be the best map yet. I think it gives a slight edge to shooters, but then again were talking about a game that caters to blaster fire. Melee characters still stand a great chance of maneuvering into position without taking many shots (if any at all). I'm all in favor of the map being DCI legal, even at 200pts.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:46 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Ok, played on is over a dozen times today, I have to say it is one of the best maps to date. Hands down. Balanced, detailed, open but still melee viable. 1 thing is, the sewer side is SLIGHTLY better to start off on. I learned that in some of the games, but the other side is easier to gain gambit. It's a trade off which ones again brings me back to the fact of it being so balanced. I hope they make it DCI, but even if they don't we'd use it at our Leagues.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:37 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

dvader831 wrote:
C West wrote:

Well, if there were any questions about a double sided map or not in the new starter, they are answered now! Total sweetness!

That's the way starter maps should be. Use double sided maps where one side is a crazy wacky scenario map that should never ever be legal in DCI while the other side is nicely balanced and made for competitive play.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:50 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Yes, this map is great. One of the best out there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:14 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I like the Taris map and I think it should be legal for DCI play. Its very balanced IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:29 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

The Lafayette, IN crew will give a report on the map at the end of the month. We have two weeks of casual play to test out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:14 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Since we are controlling our own rules, I will make it legal.

And then if it turns out to be abusive, I'll later retract it :)

Seriously, legal for all 3 formats is my vote.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:46 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I agree with Billiv, Taris is very balanced in all 3 formats.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:42 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Gotta say I am a fan. Nice theme and good balance for both sides.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:44 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

At the risk of sounding like an echo or a broken-record-player, I think it's one of the best maps we have. I would certainly like to see this map made DCI-legal at all point levels. It does give a slight edge to shooters, particularly those with Mobile Attack, but it's still very well balanced.

Another thing that intrigues me is that Mapmaker said he had plans to make another map of the Taris sewers which would connect to the sewer section of this map. I know that's not part of the DCI-legal discussion, but it is exciting. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:47 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I know I'm a little behind the curve on this topic. But I needed to play on the map and really soak it in.

Everyone is treating the map like its the messiah of star wars maps. It isn't.

The map just doesn't suck like the last 2 maps.

Its a fine map pretty balanced. Its WAY too shooty. And The gambit area, while mre defined than a few other recent maps, isn't safe at all.

While I don't think a gambit are should be always an enclosed area, I think a few more pillars or something near the center could have done this map a world of good.

If I was going to rate this Map, I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

And Maybe it could be DCI legal, I don't think its the best map.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.