All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 100-point KotOR Sealed tournament in Lakeland, FL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:43 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

100-Point Sealed KotOR Release Tournament
Aug. 23, 2008, Lakeland, FL

Ya know, one of these days, I may actually get more than the same four guys to show up to one of these tournaments. :wink: Either that, or I’ll get Mr. X to become a tournament organizer, so I can play.

Anyway, there was a big surprise with this tournament!

Players/Squads:

Kid #1: Wookiee Trooper, Old Republic Guard, T1 Bulk Loader, Juggernaut War Droid, Jawa Scout, Carth Onasi

Kid #2: Darth Vader, Juggernaut War Droid, Mando Captain, Sith Guard

Mr. X: Mando Commando, Mando Captain, Mando Scout, Juggernaut War Droid, Sith Guard, Genoharadan Assassin

Other Guy: Mando the Ultimate, Mando Scout, RA7 Death Star Droid

+++++

Round 1

Kid #1 vs. Mr. X (Grand Plaza)

I haven’t any idea how Kid #1 pulled it off, but his mish-mash of stuff overcame two Cloaked pieces and multiple-attacking figures. I did watch the end of the game more closely. It was down to Mr. X’s War Droid and Kid’s T1 and Carth. Mr. X’s War Droid kept shooting and backing up, only to get based by the T1. It only took one bad initiative roll by Mr. X to give the win to Kid #1.

Kid #2 vs. Other Guy (Death Star)

I figured Vader would wipe the floor with Mando the Ultimate. However, Vader missed EVERYTHING. Didn’t make Dark Armor saves, didn’t make Force re-rolls, didn’t land Lightsaber Throw attacks or based attacks. It was a *horrible* showing for Vader. Other Guy didn’t even have to use Charging Fire with Mando or the Scout, because Vader just kept coming toward him and he’d stand back and shoot. It wasn’t pretty. Winner: The Other Guy.

Round 2

Kid #1 vs. Other Guy (Death Star)

Again, I have no idea how he pulled it off, but Kid’s squad took down Mando the Ultimate. I’m guessing out-activating his opponent is what gave him the win. The end of the game had the hidden Jawa popping Mando as the T1 and Carth chased Mando around the board. Other Guy gave up attacks to run 12, but it still didn’t save him from the T1 and a bad initiative roll. Winner: Kid.

Mr. X vs. Kid #2 (Grand Plaza)

Again, Vader blew hard. (Sagely, Mr. X had pulled Vader, but didn’t play him. Which also shows that from the one case, there were duplicate Vaders.) The Cloaked/Stealth figures stood back and popped Vader who, again, wasn’t making many saves. Of course, Mr. X had a streak of bad luck, rolling three ones in a row. Winner: Mr. X.

Round 3

Mr. X vs. Other Guy (Death Star)

Mr. X put the Geno Assassin out in front to lure Mando the Ultimate into the open. When Mando came up to kill the Assassin, he was killed instead. From there, Mr. X just ran down Other Guy’s last two figs. Winner: Mr. X.

Kid #1 vs. Kid #2 (Grand Plaza)

I figured Kid #1’s luck would run out going against Vader (and his older brother). Let’s face it, Kid #2’s luck with Vader was due to change, right? Wrong. Again, the eclectic squad featuring the “I’ll base Vader and wait for initiative or take the AoO” T1 Droid did wonders. And even at +7, Carth doing Deadeye four times in a row was devastating to Kid #2’s other pieces. Winner: Kid #1.

Results:

1. Kid #1
2. Mr. X
3. Other Guy
4. Kid #2

+++++

FYI: The repetitive use of the same maps is due to the fact that once a map is down, no matter what the map-roll result is, the players here are pretty much, “I’ll use that one because it’s already on the table.”

The tournament was a success, I’d say.

Kid #1 took his *second* first place victory in our sealed tournaments. He also won the LotF one.

I bought a KotOR booster and busted it open for prizes. Since Mr. X and I already have all the commons/uncommons we need, he donated his C/UCs to the “prize pile” and didn’t take any prizes.

Kid #1 got VR Mira.

Kid #1, Kid #2 and Other Guy got to split three boosters’ worth of commons and uncommons and worked out an agreement among themselves for distribution. Other Guy got all the Mandos (he’s a HUGE Mando fan/player) and the brothers took the rest. Everybody went away happy. :D

Post subject: Re: 100-point KotOR Sealed tournament in Lakeland, FL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:55 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Sounds like everyone had some fun. Best of luck in getting some more players.. think relatives! :P

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY