logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 200 pt. tournament at Owensboro, KY 8/9/08
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:40 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well this was the first time I have played a tournament in a few weeks, and the last time I played it was 200 pts. then, too. I ran B&B SS last time and went 3-0 with (I think) 7-8 players.

This time I figured the best players there would be building with that squad in mind because they know how much I enjoy running it, and how good it is (finally a B&B squad that Lord Vader's +14 attack doesn't make me cringe). So I decided to shake things up a little bit. It's really the last time I'm going to play before KotoR comes out, and there were still some pieces I hadn't tried out yet.

So this was my squad:
62 Boba Fett BH
50 Han GH
45 Mara Jedi
18 Lando DS
09 General Dodonna
09 Ugnaught Demolitionist x5

10 activations with tempo control and initiative nerfer. I really didn't expect to do great with it, I just wanted to try it out. I wasn't completely sold on Mara at the beginning of the tournament, but I couldn't come up with a cheaper viable option from the stuff I had with me. I was a little nervous about the activation numbers as well, even with tempo control. Dodonna is a popular piece locally.

Round 1
vs. Darth Vader IC, Admiral Piett, Mas Amedda, Stormtrooper x20 on Rancor Pit

I lost map roll so I got to set up on the "bait" side of the map and wait for my opponent to push his pieces across to get slaughtered. I think he killed one of my Ugnaughts, which never left the Rancor Pen. He conceded when I killed his last Stormtrooper, though his Vader was still at full health and 4 fp (he gripped the Ugnaught).

1-0

Round 2 vs. Shado Vao, Mara Jedi, Maris Brood, Lando DS on Hoth
I again lost map and set up first. My shooters pegged the melee pieces as they ran across the map (I imagined what that squad would have done if Wedge had been sitting there with them- *gasp*) while my Ugnaughts and Dodonna ran for Gambit inside the building.

It took a while, and Mara died, but I finally managed to get the hits I needed to whittle all of them down to zero life. Han and Boba were both wounded in the fight, but standing. I can't remember if Lando died or not.

2-0

Round 3 vs. Jason (Dark_Jedi_21) - Han GH, Boba BH, Aurra Sing, Dodonna, Ugs xgajillion on Rancor Pit

Poor Jason. He is a better player than me and usually beats me when we play, but for some reason every time its a mirror match of sorts the dice betray him. He won the map roll so I got the "best" side but due to a set-up mistake on my part, he got first round gambit and I did not. He then went on to lose several key initiatives (which didn't matter that much the eary rounds of Dodonna vs. Dodonna) and somewhere around 5 or so, with me down exactly 5 points, I decided to take a bit of a risky move. I moved Han 6 squares across the board to draw LOS to 2 Ugnaughts that couldn't be seen from the bait area. I killed both of them and suddenly I had a 1 pt. lead.
At some point either before or after that he had set Aurra in a position to try to lure Mara and Boba closer to the engagement line. I took the bait with Mara and she got hit a couple of times for her trouble before I tucked her away in the safe zone for basically the rest of the game.

From there, the only thing I remember is shooting Aurra and then moving away from the open door. I think I won init, but I can't remember for sure. He moved his shooters up to try to get some shots on my pieces in hiding and we rolled init.

I took the first two shots with Mara knowing she would die when Boba attacked her next, and then passed the turn. I think he shot with Han and hit Mara, and then I rolled attacks with Boba against Aurra. Up came the big D. Next round, his Han took the big D and then Mara died. I then ran Lando 12 to open the door to the room where my Han was hiding, and the two of them went after his Boba, basing it to negate the Evade save.
My Boba moved up, flamed 2 Ugs and then on the next round, flamed his Boba for the win. Han was at 10 and Lando was at 30.

After the game was over I told him that there was no way I could have won that game except for the two Disintegration rolls. Going into the round, I knew he had me out-activated and had better fire power. But it's still a dice game, and everyone knows I have been on both ends of the Disintegration screw.

3-0 and the tournament.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: 200 pt. tournament at Owensboro, KY 8/9/08
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:03 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

A great report Boris. Good job, and you had some great luck too. It must have been very difficult.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee