logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: PAX CHampionship Meta or post-Kotor meta
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:41 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I agree 100% with Nickname that the best wedge Squads won't be a direct variation on the current mara/han builds.

There are a ton of good pieces from NR and Fringe that benefit greatly from evade and mobile.

Does anyone see anything that would actually make Thrawn viable again? What is the biggest weakness that can be fixed in SAK with Kotor pieces?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:29 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Slie wrote:
Does anyone see anything that would actually make Thrawn viable again? What is the biggest weakness that can be fixed in SAK with Kotor pieces?

Uh, last I checked Thrawn was still viable. I'm not going to argue the usefulness of one particular squad, SAK, in this case, but certainly Thrawn's CEs are used to great effect by a number of top players.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:30 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Seeing how new KotoR will be when PAX happens, more than likely people will just try to fit in some new tech pieces into existing squads, or re-create current squad types with new figures.

We're already talking about fitting Gen. Antilles into current NR squads, and I can see people throwing Czerka Scientists around like there's no tomorrow. More advanced players might try to fit in Jolee - he's cheap and can provide a big boost.

Some people might even try out Republic P&P - Panaka and Purple (Windu). With enough rapport, the possibility of a lot of reserves through SC Palpatine, and Amidala's CE to mobile out of LoS for protection, Clone Troopers might become both swap fodder and MTB engine fodder (and this really might explode after Clone Wars, but I digress). Plus Shieldbearers for some beatstick protection.

Or, as has already been suggested, we'll see the top GenCon squads...again...I hope not, though.

So, long story short, I'm thinking there will be only a slight shift away from the current metagame, but mostly because KotoR just won't have been out enough to make it's full impact.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:38 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

billiv15 wrote:
Slie wrote:

Uh, last I checked Thrawn was still viable. I'm not going to argue the usefulness of one particular squad, SAK, in this case, but certainly Thrawn's CEs are used to great effect by a number of top players.

I think some people will start to use Jolee and the MTB Engine as a pseudo-Thrawn - at least until they realize that Thrawn just does it better. Although, the possibilities of giving Valor to some of the better Uniques might outweigh that.

Thrawn, however, will never really go away as the top overall commander. He'll always be very playable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:29 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

So with Speedy cannon winning Gencon, as well as Loda making a top8. Not sure about the rest of the top 8...

What have we learned that we didn't know before? I figure we'll see a ton of speedy cannon now... so bring out the ion guns...

Slie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:18 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Slie wrote:
So with Speedy cannon winning Gencon, as well as Loda making a top8. Not sure about the rest of the top 8...

What have we learned that we didn't know before? I figure we'll see a ton of speedy cannon now... so bring out the ion guns...

Slie

After the weekend I can say I expect Cloaked Mandos is where its going to be.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:11 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

What makes you say that?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:35 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Slie wrote:
What makes you say that?

Greater Mobile + Double + Twin + Accurate + Opportunist = 4 attacks against any legal target at +16 for 20 damage each.

I'm not sure about 150 pts., but it's going to be sheer terror in 200. Plus you can run interference with some of the melee pieces available in Mandos.

I ran this in league - Mando Scout x2, Captain, Quartermaster, Elite Sith Trooper.
I won 7 out of 9 games.

In a normal game, I would go Ug x4 instead of the trooper (since it's not legal in constructed this way).

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:36 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Slie wrote:

Slie

Can you post the Loda squad? I'm interested to see what it is.

Thanks,

-SirStevee

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee