logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Official Knights of the Old Republic Release Event questions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:26 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Hi all - I received this information today from my LGS - from a WotC flyer he received. Apparently the Official WotC Release Event can take place at any time between Aug. 29-31. My big question is whether anyone familiar with scenario-based play? A bit odd that they aren't recommending a traditional limited format which would be sanctioned. :?: For those LGS that were offered this Release Event, are you going to follow this recommendation or sanction as normal or perhaps even opt out of the Official Release Event and do something on your own.

<snip>

Official Knights of the Old Republic Release Event

Scenario-based play is Limited format

1. Scenario-based play is the recommended format for the Knights of the Old Republic Release Event
    2. Scenario-based play is unsanctioned
    3. Scenarios are played on the map included with the Knights of the Old Republic Release Event kit Participants each purchase two Knights of the Old Republic boosters to construct their 100-point squad
    4. Rounds equal to the minimum number of Swiss rounds required for the participants you receive is recommended (with a minimum of 2 rounds)
    5. Participants are matched as best possible by wins and losses (winners play winners, losers play losers)
    6. Prizes are awarded based on records of wins. In the event of ties, prizes should be awarded to everyone tied, if possible

Prizes / Giveaways
    1. The first 12 participants receive an exclusive Knights of the Old Republic alternate-paint miniature, a new Star Wars Miniatures map, and a Knights of the Old Republic scenario sheet
    2. The retailer must award additional Knights of the Old Republic booster packs to at least the Top-4 finishers (Top-2 in a 4-person tournament)
</snip>

Post subject: Re: Official Knights of the Old Republic Release Event questions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

This is basically what they did for LOTF as well. I know our LGS held a Release Tournament on our normal playing day immediately following the set release, but then also did this special day event. I would guess their reasoning for doing these instead of Sealed events is their thinking towards 'casual' SWM games rather than competitive. I'm not 100% sure though.

Post subject: Re: Official Knights of the Old Republic Release Event questions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:48 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

LoboStele wrote:
I would guess their reasoning for doing these instead of Sealed events is their thinking towards 'casual' SWM games rather than competitive. I'm not 100% sure though.

Thanks for the reply. If I'm recalling correctly, similiar rationale was used in deciding on the new SWM Championship venue.