logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 Pt Vassal Tourney 08/02
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:20 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

I chose to run the Han/Mara combo as I've not tried it out, and wanted to see if it was a good fit for me. I've heard good things of it though, and been beaten by it. Lets see how it performs!

Han, GH
Mara, Jedi
Lobot
Kel Dor, BH
Gen Dodonna
Uggy x2

Map: Death Star

Match 1
Jedi_Master
Nom
4-lom bh
yv shapper
yvjh X2
garindan
advanced scout
gran raider
map: Ravanged Base

My Reinforcements: MTB 4 ugs

I lost map roll, and chose to defer set up. He chooses to set up inside the base on the left. First round is all about Getting Han close so that he can disrupt Nom’s CE. I get Han up to the Gambit zone and use Lobot to ipen the main door. On the next init Han doubles the Gran and Scout, killing both and Lobot locks the door for me, Him having no Uggs gives me a big boost.
I just wait for him to finish activating then I blow the door, and get Mara out there to LS Assault the adjacent JH, all hit, Crit one, and he fails 1 CA save. Score, did more damage than I expected and set myself up for a strong init.
Win init with the MTB, kill the wounded JH and Garidan with Han, Mara Assaults other JH. All hit and even a crit at the end. I take some return fire from 4-Lom and Nom.
On the next init Mara Assaults 4-lom And Crits again! No more Lom.
Han Doubles on the Shaper, 1st attack, Crit… 2nd on Nom.. ANOTHER freakin Crit.. ow.
Just for fun I let Nom Bol Han, and he fails his save, Mara runs in to see if she can get another crit, no crit, but kills Nom, and that’s all she wrote.

Match 2

Joruus/Philip
Cade
YV JH x2
Lobot
Wicket
Gran x2
Uggo x2

Map: Night club

My Reinforcement: MTB Ewok x3, Uggy
His Reinforcement: Lando DS

He wins map roll and we play in Coruscant. I defer side choice and he sets up on left. First round is a lot of maneuvering around, I had a chance to take out some point pieces, but I would have had to expose Lobot to do that. And I knew that Joruus would be all over Lobot if that was the case, So I waited it out.

Next round I used the KD to open up the big garage door, Hoping to bait JC to come out and play. He did, and Cade popped the KD… oops.. how to kill the Muun now.. :S
But he also use Lobot to lock off half my team, luckily, Han and Mara were already out front.. I had an ug reopen the door and let Mara run in to wack Cade, one hit was a crit, and Cade drops down to 60. He replies by running the JH adjacent to Mara, ouch. Han goes to work next, taking down Lobot and putting 20 onto 1 of the JH.
Next init, I don’t roll a 1, phew, and Mara Assaults, but rolls a 1 on her first twin. Eee, Cade is down to 30. I decide to put the hurt on a JH as well, taking it down to 10 Hps. Han pulls through on me and saves my keister, taking out Cade and the JH.

His remaining JH and Lando then put some huge hurt on Mara, dropping her to 40, and I decide to make a silly mistake. I move the MTB in to shoot at Wicket, and take an AoO from the JH, dumb.. dumb.. dumb. Happily JC wipes out my MTB.

Naturally I loose the next init, and Mara bites the big one. But I can still save myself… maybe, I still have Lobot, and I use Han to kill his two Uggos,.. But I didn’t declare that I was using two activations in my excitement, and JC push the technicality. Punk! :D Good for him though, it kept the game very close.

I win the next init and still get to run away, killing Wicket and a Gran. I’ve been getting Gambit this whole time, so I’ve been getting up there in points. Its down to his Full Hp Lando, YH JH and a Gran vs my Han (60) an uggo and an ewok.

Luckily, Han survives the Round, and I squeak through on Gambit. Final Score was 151-97 Great Game Joruus!

Match 3

DarkLordVerjal/Zack

Cade
Depa Billaba
Lobot
Lando, DS
R2-Astro
Uggo x2

Map: Chancellor’s Starship

His Reinforcements: Uggo x5, Caamasi
My Reinforcement: MTB, Ewok x3, Ugo

He won map, and I chose to set up on the left. I was hoping that a small gambit lead could help me out here. Zack had just played Tint, who was running the same squad I was. So he was all practiced up.

I was able to sneak an Ewok into the Gambit Zone in the first round, just to give me a bit of an edge. He left Cade in the same alcove between the Gambit area and the ‘Work Station’. I was able to run both Han and Mara, just in case, up to the top and had planned out a long move that would get me a hair line LOS to R2, but not Cade.

Han missed his first shot, but got him on the second, and Mara was able to snipe the Caamasi. Cade was stil dangerous and I was pretty cautious. I used my KD (keeping him safer this time) to pop an Uggy. On the init I moved the KD back into hiding, as I didn’t want to end up killing off myself with no exit strategy.
I chose to wait and hold off using Han and Mara and it really paid off. I was able to open a door with Han, and with a 12 square run, move Mara into base with Cade.

With me not rolling a 1 for init, I was able to LS Assault Cade, and Mara even rolled 2 20s! Han ran around shooting at an Ug (cause Han is a bully) and missed Lando. Lando and Depa shot back at Mara, but Lando missed, so Mara only dropped to 70.

I’d run out of free inits, so I was killing my point characters now, and I used the next init to kill Depa, and Mara scored another crit!. She’s been a real crit machine all night. Zack conceded after losing his damage dealers. Good Game man.

We decided to end the the tourney there, since there was a clear winner, and it was getting late. Hurray! My first DCI Vassal tourney win :D

I found that Mara/Han is very powerful, but you have to play it very carefully. And there are still a lot of other squads that are powerful and competitive. It certainly isn’t the be all and end all of the 150. On top of that I was lucky to be able to bring in the MTB each game, giving me a significant edge.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

Post subject: Re: 150 Pt DCI Vassal Tourney 08/02
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:51 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Well, this was my first online tournment, and let me tell you, vassal really didn't like me.

Game one, see above :P. Just going to add I didn't kill a single one of his units. His MTB did it for me.

Game two, played Mt, he ran lukes snowspeeded, han god...i mean, scoundrel, princess leia, r2, human bodyguard and some uggos. Oh and ghost obi. Anyway, lukes snow speeder went up, opened the door, got gambit turn one. Turn two 4-lom got a hit on the snowspeeder then got killed promptly by han (one wasted crit on him too). Went downhill from there. Lost every init and failed Crab armor 6 saves like they were crab armor 16's. JH one died from a han barrage thanks to r2's override and han getting, you guessed it, a cunning leia inspired crit followed by a normal hit, failed the cunning crit save, poor YVJH. The second one got pelted to death by lukes snow speeder, failed two CA saves taking 40 damage then took another 10 from a hit and a miss on the next twin. Stayed out of the way and let Nom work his magic...missing R2 by rolling a 1 when he had a clear line of sight and cunning attack. Then missing luke when he needed a 8 to hit and kill him. Then missing han thanks to evade. Then missing the uggo that was in line of sight by rolling a 1. Anyway, the YVJH took another hit and failed another CA save and so it died. he won off gambit without having to kill nom.

Must point out, didn't kill anything.

Game three was against jeff.

I thought I stood a good chance, fell, draco, and a knight vs YVJH's, a shaper, nom anor, and 4-lom BH. Vassal said otherwise. Got side choice and took over the gambit zone, completly took it over. The JH's took point to soak the small damage the emporer and his lackies could do and all seemed good. Fel got a single oppritunist attack off, made the CA save, 20 damage, what I expected. draco ran up, hit, failed the CA save...20 more damage...not what I expected. The knight runs up, crits the JH, it dies. WTF mate? he wins init, crits the other YVJH with fel and hits two more times, I fail 1 more save, draco shrugs the jedi hunter aside. Nom fires, misses, what do you know, his blasters still broke :P Well, at that point I gave up and had 4-lom kill an uggo so I could get a kill for the night, got 2 side crits 2 uggos absorbed and one amazing aoo crit off the gran. Managed a grand total of 6 hits, killing 3 uggos that game. I ended that one early asI couldn't take the dice anymore.

So, to tally, game one, 6 crit hits on me, 2 more 20's (a save and an init which was pointless.) 8 crits. I rolled 4 1's (1 on the ca sav 3 on attacks.)

game 2, 7 1's rollede on my side, 3 on crab armor saves, 3 on noms attacks, and one on a shaper attack. Opponent got 2 20's (one with han the other with the snowspeeder), one 20 for init, and a 20 on a save. 4 20's.

Last game, 3 crits (one on 4-lom) for attacks, 3 20's for init, one 20 for map roll, and one 20 on a save for thud bug. 2 1's on my side, one being noms attack the other being a ca save.

so, the total for the night, 18 natural 20's rolled against me and one 19 that was a crit and 13 natural 1's rolled by me. In three games, that is just obscene.

Post subject: Re: 150 Pt Vassal Tourney 08/02
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:49 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice job, Ruhk!

So I take it TINT lost to somebody else then? Interesting....

Can't wait to hear more of the reports. This is great stuff that we've got going on with Vassal now. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:01 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

1.new republic
2. rebales
3. vong
5. rebeals
6. rebales
7. imperial
8. vong

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:45 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Why aren't you joining these Steve? Hmmm? Well, it was a goood night, Ruhk handed me my butt on a silver platter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:36 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Well I think I got lucky where your game against Tint, he got unlucky, I didn't see what happened there though, only the end result.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:59 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

game 1 JC

Splash killed me. I could not make effective use of bodyguard.

game 2 jonnyb

Another reason why haveing a 1 hour time limit in a 150/200 point game is stupid. As for as the time limit thing goes, 100 so much better hands down.

game 3. jedi_master

FInally I had good rolls. First time in tournies. Fun game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:47 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

empirejeff wrote:
game 2 jonnyb

Another reason why haveing a 1 hour time limit in a 150/200 point game is stupid. As for as the time limit thing goes, 100 so much better hands down.

Yeah, I saw that game jeff, what was the final score there, 32 to 15?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:25 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LoboStele wrote:
Nice job, Ruhk!

So I take it TINT lost to somebody else then? Interesting....

Can't wait to hear more of the reports. This is great stuff that we've got going on with Vassal now. :D

Yep, I lost to Zack. I ran the same squad as Ruhk, but I made 2 mistakes and the dice were strongly against me; o well, it was a good learning experience. If Han had been able to kill R2 and Lobot in the same round (as planned), or if Mara could've hit more reliably (ie, more than 50%), it would've been a much different game.

The Han/Mara/MTB squad is good, but I found it to be rather dice-dependent. The thing with 2-hitter MTB squads is that, if you fail to take down the important pieces in your initial bombardment, you're in for a lot of trouble because your opponent will pour out all his damage onto your now-helpless figs or else really mess with the rest of your squad. You're banking your squad's success on one round of dice. It seems to me that you really need a solid 3rd attacker to make up for anything that the first 2 figs miss. Even with Cunning, Han's +14 isn't reliable enough as the primary shooter. Mara is solid, but when she misses half of her Assault rolls, there's really not much you can do. I think I'll have to play it again before I really get a good sense of how powerful it can be.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:49 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

the tournament was fun. sorry jeff about our game i was dead from working all day. tint that would of sucked for the both of us if dean would of said draw. both of us would of had double losses. thanks dean for letting us play another round and dumb boba misssing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:56 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

jonnyb815 wrote:
the tournament was fun. sorry jeff about our game i was dead from working all day. tint that would of sucked for the both of us if dean would of said draw. both of us would of had double losses. thanks dean for letting us play another round and dumb boba misssing.

:lol: ...and dumb Mara missing...she just needed to roll a 3+ four times to kill Boba, but she rolled two 2s. Gotta love Vassal!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:38 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Congrats Eric. Well played. The dice were really loving you, which helps with that build.

Ruhk wrote:

Everyone seems to always forget, 4-LOM is a Droid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:06 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

R5Don4 wrote:
Congrats Eric. Well played. The dice were really loving you, which helps with that build.

Ruhk wrote:

Everyone seems to always forget, 4-LOM is a Droid.

Not Jedi_Master. i rolled a 20 ,and jedi was like Yay for droids! LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:12 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Oh i know that droids don't count for the double damage effect of crits, every attack hit, so he was dead either way. It was just another instance of a crit happening.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:33 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Fool wrote:
DarkLordVerjal wrote:
Why aren't you joining these Steve? Hmmm? Well, it was a goood night, Ruhk handed me my butt on a silver platter.

Thursday night went to the Football game Friday night cousin got inducted to the bar to become a lawyer. Just bad timing.

Steve?