logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 100 point Vassal Tournament August 1
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:52 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

We had 8 (or 9?) people show up tonight, so we played 4 rounds of 100pt DCI.

Ever since the release of A&E, I’ve always wanted to try a Han ST/IC swarm in 100pts. And since this was my first 100pt DCI tournament, I thought I’d give it a shot; I knew that Kyle BM would easily nerf the entire squad, but I thought I’d risk it. Here’s my squad:

Han ST
Ithorian Commander
General Dadonna
Aqualish Assassin x7
Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
150pts, 12 activations. My map was Muun.

Round 1 vs Empirejeff
Bane and 6 Uggies

He wins map, so we play on Chancellor’s Starship. During the 2nd round, I pick off a few ugs and run in to put 30dmg on Bane. Next round, Bane wins init and gives up a 30dmg AOO (down to 140hp) to pull off a Sweep, killing 2 AAs and an Ug. I run 2 more AAs in at the end of the round to bring Bane down to 80. Next round Jeff wins init again and sweeps, killing 2 more AAs and retreats away. He tries Sorcery on my other AA who is within range, but I make the save. I respond by hitting Bane again so he’s down to 50, and then I win init the next round. Jeff played his squad well, with no mistakes…the AAs were just too much for him, though. 1-0

Round 2 vs MtMagus
Vong JH x3, Shaper, Wicket, Caamasi Noble, Ug x2

He also wins map, so we play on Rancor Pit and I start on the left. In the first round Han takes a shot at the Shaper, but misses. The next round is mostly maneuvering (Dadonna misses a shot from a crazy angle on the Noble). Next round Matt thuds one of my AAs, and I just wait him out. After he’s done moving his pieces, I send Han in for a Furious Assault, targeting Wicket, 2 JHs, and the Shaper. I hit everyone but the Shaper (crit on a JH). Then my AAs charge in, killing the Shaper first then 2 JHs. After that it was pretty much over. Matt was hoping that he’d have some more pieces survive the round, then win init so he could really put down the damage, but that FA by Han really turned the tables. 2-0

Round 3 vs DarkLordVerjal
Cade, R2 Astro, Ugnaught, Lobot (brought Baby Boba, Ug)

I win the map roll, and rather than playing on Starship, I choose Muun. In the first round, Zack forgets that Han can move 12 for the FA, and so I am able to have Han get some shots on Boba and R2…miss Boba, but hit R2. I win the next init, so I FA again, and crit Boba (makes up for the miss) and miss R2…if I had hit R2 there, it would have made a HUGE difference in the rest of the game. The next round is huge, because if I win init I can kill R2, but it is not to be…instead, I lose 2 AAs and I can do nothing in response but set up for the next round. During the next round, I kill Lobot with a 12-square AA charge, in a move which takes Zack entirely by surprise. After that, it is largely a game of cat and mouse, as Cade tries to maneuver for position on my Stealthy AAs, while my AAs try to corner Cade and yet prevent him from being able to shoot any of them safely the next round. Eventually Cade comes out to play and I make some attacks (hitting only 1 out of 3). However, I make a big mistake with Han by putting him in a place where R2 can tow Cade for some no cover quad-attacks the next round (if he wins init)...and that’s what happens. I lose Han, and it almost costs me the game. Thankfully, I am able to kill R2 when I win init the next round. Without R2, Cade is not nearly as dangerous an opponent…however, without Han ST, my AAs are not nearly as dangerous either. By this point I have a meaningful points lead, so I figure I'll just wait back and let Cade come to me. The time runs out and I win on points. If I had either killed R2 or been more intelligent with Han, the game would not have been nearly as close as it was. Great game, Zack! 3-0

Round 4 vs Jedi1972
Boba Merc, R2 Astro, Ki Adi Mundi, Ugnaught x3

I win the map roll again, and choose my Muun over his Death Star. The first 2 or 3 rounds are pretty much a game of positioning, where he waits for me and I maneuver my AA swarm up for the next round. He wins init, so he tows Boba out and shoots 2 AAs. I responded by doing a FA with Han, hitting Boba but missing R2. Ki Adi runs in, pretty much blocking my access to R2…except for 1 AA who can make it if I can open 2 doors. I first try to run an Ugnaught past one of his to open one of them, but his Ugnaught crits mine! O well, I still have one other option there, but it just means I have to waste another AA’s activation. After Jedi1972 had just critted my Ugnaught who tried to run by and open a door, I was fearing another crit as I finally ran my AA past…but he missed, so I was able to kill R2. I win the next initiative even with Ki Adi’s Anticipation attempt. My 80hp Han gives up a 20dmg AOO to Ki Adi, and then another AOO to the same evil Ugnaught from the round before: Crit! Yikes! Han down to 40hp. Anyway, I complete my move with Han and FA to kill 3 Ugs. Then Boba shoots at 2 AAs and misses one; that miss turns out to make a major difference in the game because it means that Ki Adi takes 30dmg on an AOO and I still have that AA for a 30dmg charge at the end of the round. I am able to kill Boba at the end of the round, at which point Jedi1972 concedes (he had only a 30hp Ki Adi left, vs my 3 AAs and Han). 4-0 for the night!

I hardly ever play 100pts, and I’ve never played in any form of 100pt DCI tournament, but I really enjoyed this one. Most games were finished well ahead of the time limit, which made the tournament move along quickly. If I had faced Kyle JBM or a good squad with Disruptive, I’m sure my entire squad would’ve been toast. But as it turned out, nobody had the counter to my AA swarm tonight. Thanks to Dean for hosting again! : )

Post subject: Re: 100 point Vassal DCI Tournament August 1
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:17 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Well, our game was pretty close. It deffintlly could have gone the other way.

Same thing with my game with bill.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:24 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Sigh, sounds like a good time, now I'm sorry that I missed out. Funny thing is that Zack and I practiced a game where I ran 9 AAs +han/ithor. But he got to take starship. So that made the difference. See you guys tonight!

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:41 am 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Yep, Han STA + IthCom + AA in 100 is dangerous. The only thing you have to really worry about is Accurate Shooters that know to stay faaaar away from you...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:17 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

jedispyder wrote:
Yep, Han STA + IthCom + AA in 100 is dangerous. The only thing you have to really worry about is Accurate Shooters that know to stay faaaar away from you...

Yep, Broken Boba (BobaBH, R2 Astro, JWM, Uggie) and variations of that would be real trouble for this squad...that and Kyle Katarn, JBM (Disruptive and Riposte).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:44 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Trevor, I shall have my revenge! :maul: Wmahahaha :mrgreen:
I hope to see everyone tonight, good luck to all!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:38 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

FInished in 6th placed.